1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What are the chances of getting a self driving car from Lyft?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by romeocasido, Oct 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romeocasido

romeocasido High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So over a year ago when i landed in Vegas and opened up my lyft app it asked me if I wanted to opt into the self driving car service they provided. By the time of my second lyft trip I was given a self driving car by Aptiv.. I thought it was so cool. It took me from the venetian to the Mandalay Bay during a busy labor day weekend.. I go about 4 times a year but i've never been given a self driving car since. I wonder if it's beginners luck. Anyone else opt in and have any luck getting one? I wonder what are the chances

2. MrBBonz

MrBBonz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the strip, this last June, I got one through Lyft about 25% of the time. The other times it said I was getting one, but then switched to a person after a couple of minutes due to volume.

3. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once you "opt in" you have a better chance of catching one after that. Also they only run certain routes, I have gotten one maybe 25 percent of the time on my last trip.
    and also they could be done testing by now? I am not sure how long Aptiv was planning on keeping these on the roads

4. Kisby

Kisby High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i don't think I'm ready for this yet!

And you kids get off my lawn! :cuss:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also opted in a long time ago and finally got one on my last trip...they are not done testing, they are just getting started lol...guy told me the next step is SUVs, they are waiting on them now

and you are right they only do certain areas, I got one from Sahara to the Plaza, they use to be big by the highroller but APTIV stopped that route because of nails and screws from the CC construction. they do not go to the airport either

best thing about the APTIV cars are: no upcharge for the premium vehicle, no surge pricing and they dont accept tips

you just have to be in the right area at the right time to get one

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I opted in a few times, but did not get one.

I use Uber most of the time due to $15 from Amex each month and a discounted Uber gift card I bought once. I need to remember to try Lyft more often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol, there is a driver and they do drive it, the technology is not there for it to fully drive itself and they explain that in the car...as they said in the ride, if it goes into a construction zone, it identifies a traffic cone as a person in the street, it eill stop till the cone gets up and moves, so the driver will take over. also it maintains a distance between the car infront of it, if you get cutoff, it wants that specific distance and will slam the brakes on to get that distance back. another time the driver takes over instantly to prevent that

8. VolleyBall

VolleyBall 7* & MLife Plat

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had three, apparently Friday/Saturday evenings from the MGM Grand is a good spot for them:
    Feb 1st 2019, 8:08PM, MGM Grand pickup and Cosmo dropoff
    Feb 2nd 2019, 8:41PM, MGM Grand pickup and Aria droppoff
    May 24th 2019, 10:03PM, MGM Grand pickup and Aria dropoff

Here's my experience and perhaps certain aspects have changed since May. First and foremost, I believe most know there is a "backup" driver and another employee sitting shotgun. They told me the car only self drives on the strip and this was because Vegas officials allowed them to put sensors into the traffic lights. The employees will offer to talk about the car/company. They don't have a problem with you taking photos of the car from the outside but once you're inside the car, no photos. If you have your phone out to text while in the backseat, my experience was the passenger will watch you like a hawk as they don't want you to take photos. If you really want a photo from the inside, here's probably the less "jerk" way to do so, once you get have an Aptiv on the way, (don't even try with a regular camera) before entering the car have your camera app open on your phone, enter the car, immediately start to discreetly snap some photos. They'll say a short intro inclusive of no photos, once they tell you not to take photos put your phone away. You followed the rules as you didn't take any photos after you were told not to.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done 3 or 4 rides myself this year. If the wait time isn't too high, I'll request one because it's a nice BMW 5 series. You also save a few bucks because you can't tip the driver.

From what I was told over the summer, they have a number of these cars running at one time (like at least 20-30 cars). They won't allow the car to self-drive on any resort properties yet. As for having the ability to request one, I can't remember if I read this online or if one of my drivers mentioned this to me, but you need to have a 5 star rating (or very close to it).

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Headache 21

Headache 21 i don't wanna grow up, i'm a toys'r'us kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do I have to tip?

11. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, they do not allow you to.

12. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas: