1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Atlantis / Baha Mar... NFC is too lazy to do a recap TR, so he’s going Bill O’Reilly on this one

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Trip Reports' started by notfromconcentrate, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I Googled this to see if there was a connection... there isn't, but EVERYONE is saying it feels like going through an updated version of the Wynn in a Caribbean setting.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, we last left things off at the mysterious hair tie. I’m exhausted and sunburned as shit right now with a slight headache from drinking, but I’m leaning back in my bed rehydrating with trance music streaming through the TV... so I figure I can work up a bit of focus to write an update.

Here’s Monday...

Woke up and had my last breakfast on the patio. Took a panorama to preserve the memory of it.

[​IMG]

Finished up Richard Wilk’s book in the library. This is absolutely a hidden gem of the Atlantis. I swear I could spend all day here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Placed fourth in the slot tournament. Bleh. Donked off my $10 freeplay plus $10 of my own money on lock it link at $0.50 per spin.

My immature side cracked up at this alignment of symbols...

[​IMG]

Then headed over to the Cove to have lunch at Sip Sip. The good news, you don’t have to be a Cove guest to eat there. The bad news, the area with the counter that faces the beach is restricted to Cove guests.

[​IMG]

Don’t ask me how it happened, but the person who told me that was one of the managers... and when she saw my disappointment, she said she could probably sneak me past security to eat there. Got me over no problem, and this view was all mine!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had the grouper Reuben sandwich and a local IPA. Positively spectacular meal.

[​IMG]

Some other footage of the Cove pool area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then caught a taxi from Atlantis to Baha Mar, it ran $24 BSD flat rate. Had a hell of a time finding a driver who would take card, not just cash. This, and another event which you’ll see in Tuesday’s update, brought me to an important conclusion about my future travels.

Got into my room no problem. One king fountain view. Very modern room, though almost a little too white. Has similar tech to Aria, including the same Crave tablet. TV can play music via Bluetooth too. Also requested a fridge and got it no problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I’m just gonna say point blank, based on my first impressions, I could tell Baha Mar isn’t my type of place. It has the Wynn’s swankiness with the Aria’s sterility, if that makes any sense. Not my comfort zone. Atlantis by comparison at least feels a bit more tropical, with some character and heritage to it. I’d say the difference between the two is that Atlantis is like downtown, and Baha Mar is like the strip.

The other thing that’s a killer is a total lack of non high-end eats. It’s basically either food trucks (which close at 6:00 pm), or fancy restaurants. There’s no in-between. Ended up settling for some noodles and sautéed veggies at STIX. Meh. The $40 this cost after tax and gratuity is ridiculous, IMO.

[​IMG]

The fountains are nice though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also thought this piano bar structure was pretty unique

[​IMG]

Grabbed some chips for my collection too

[​IMG]

Couple small slot hits as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update on today to come...

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
    • Like Like x 4
  3. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm waiting.... It's been 37 minutes since your last post <3

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, today got off to a bit of a rocky start. I went to bed early with the intention of getting up early, as when it comes to getting the day pass at Sandals, you need to call in at around 8:00 am the same day to see if they have any day passes for that day (based on occupancy). Then if they confirm that, you have to get there before 10:00 am (day pass is good 10-6, for $140), as people often line up beforehand and you’ll be turned away if they’ve already committed the passes to those who arrived before you.

Got up around 6:00 am, with a plan to have breakfast/coffee, do some work, make the call at 8:00 am, and undertake my day from there. As I was getting my breakfast ready, I noticed that the Keurig machine in the room wasn’t brewing any coffee. Fiddled around with it and concluded it had to be defective. Called housekeeping, who brought in another one. This was the extent of how far it went...

[​IMG]

Then they brought another which worked. But that took more than twenty minutes which I didn’t have the patience to wait for, so I went downstairs to get coffee at Starbucks. So that was a real piss-off.

Made the call, got it confirmed that passes are available. Did some work as planned, and then packed a bag for the day.

As I was packing up, I noticed this was attached to the edge of my duvet. Looks like it survived through a wash cycle. Really guys? That looks like it would have been incredibly easy to catch. Sloppy, sloppy.

[​IMG]

This kind of did it for me. What I didn’t mention in my report yesterday is that I had an incident with my “do not disturb” sign being outright ignored (and essentially being blown off when I complained about it)... and I wasn’t too pleased at all that I had to ask for both a notepad/pen, and even a box of tissues. So after this morning, I’ve pretty well made up my mind that I don’t want to stay here again.

The last of the negativity for today’s update is the taxi, as I alluded to in my prior update. So as to get to Sandals early enough, I opted to take a taxi, certain it would cost less than $20. Since Sandals is no-tipping, I didn’t bring any change, just $60 in twenties and some ones. The fare came to $15, and the driver didn’t have any change. Whether or not I believe that, I think you know the answer. But I really didn’t have any other choice but to just give him the $20. Which, really isn’t a big deal. I’d probably have tipped him $2 for $17 total, so I only really overpaid by $3.

But this drew a pretty firm conclusion for me. I don’t think I want to travel anywhere that isn’t serviced by rideshare apps. There are several disadvantages to having to rely on taxis... aside from the cost and the vulnerability to the “I don’t have any change” trick, I just felt... uncomfortable in a taxi compared to a rideshare. I suppose that using such things as shuttles may alleviate some of this. But given that I like to explore stuff off the beaten path, mobility is usually a must for me. And as silly as a thing as it may seem to be hung up on, I’ve been spoiled by the advantages of rideshares, and really can’t see myself going back.

Anyway. Made it to Sandals in just the nick of time, I got the very last day pass available. Got walked into the property, checked in, and I could do as I pleased until 6:00 pm.

Photo dump...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also visited their private island, they have a boat shuttle that goes there and back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought this book like three years ago, finally getting the chance to actually read it. She’s my celebrity crush.

[​IMG]

Now I know I said I was having a blast. And I was. I’m also very glad that I got a chance to experience Sandals, having spent the majority of my life thinking that it would be forever out of reach for me. But I would NOT recommend getting the day pass, especially if you’re staying at another resort.

For one thing, there isn’t very much to do other than swim in the pool, hang out on the beach, drink, and maybe play some sports. There are better amenities than what your average resort would have, like floaters and non-motorized watercraft. But I can’t say that it felt all that much different than any other beach resort. The staff are all very friendly, but nowhere nearly as attentive as the TV commercials make them out to be.

I think that the only way one could justify the $140 for the day pass is if they’re a particularly heavy drinker, since dollar-for-dollar, eight or nine cocktails at “resort” prices would cover the $140 in drinks alone.

Now, notice that I didn’t mention eating. While food is included, it’s pretty much only lunch, and breakfast if you’re willing to wait before hitting the beach. Most dinner restaurants open at or around 6:00 pm, thus preventing day pass guests from accessing them. Which kind of makes sense from a cost perspective, and from a perspective of better serving their actual guests who are paying thousands and not $140. But having virtually no dinner options kind of blows, especially if you’ve been drinking all day and want to sober up.

The food I did have though, was mediocre at best, and that’s being nice. @ffejry and I were talking about this the other week, how all-inclusive food just cannot compare to a-la-carte. Here were my four “dining” experiences at Sandals...

Breakfast. This was a lobster omelette with a fruit plate. They didn’t skimp on the lobster, but this took literally 30 minutes to make (with almost no one in the restaurant), and they ignored my allergy instructions for potatoes, plating it with hash browns. So that was another ten minutes to re-make it. Overall, unimpressed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch. This was at the restaurant on the island. Started out with the “conch fritters” which tasted like fried dough with bits of conch sprinkled into it. That was absolutely pathetic. Main course was fried grouper... and it’s supposed to come with fries, but I subbed that out for salad. Silly me, I didn’t ask what kind of salad, but who the hell in their right mind would serve Caesar salad covered in Parmesan with fried fish??? Total flavour clash. Also not wise to put hot food on top of lettuce. I also don’t eat Caesar salad anymore. So I wound up finishing the fish in about five bites and leaving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snack. Their pizza counter is always open during the day, so availability isn’t an issue. Caught a glimpse of the pizzas and wasn’t really interested, they didn’t look too appetizing. But after that less-than-filling lunch, I had to get something in my stomach, so pizza it was. It took 35 minutes to prepare this tiny thing, and as you can see... this looks like the quality of pizza you’d get at a bowling alley. Did the job, but I’d honestly rather have had McDonald’s than this pizza.

In case you’re wondering about the background, I ate the pizza while standing in the ocean. Just for the novelty of it... when else will you get the chance to do that, even with bad pizza?

[​IMG]

Dinner. The only restaurant open for dinner is the Cricketer Pub. Standard pub fare. I arrived at 4:50 and they were serving drinks but I had to wait until 5:00 to order food. No problem. Had the shepherd’s pie with no potatoes and a salad on the side. Probably the best meal I had today, but the beef had an evident moisture to it that suggested it had been microwaved. Which, really, some pubs would do... but this is a five star resort. Come on.

[​IMG]

So I left around 5:30 pm... curiosity satisfied.

[​IMG]

One other thing that threw me off was that they hold your ID until you leave. Which I wasn’t fully comfortable doing, but I didn’t have much choice.

Then headed over to the grocery store to grab some milk, juice, and fruit. I was also able to get them to fix the error from the other day with the apples. Smooth as can be. Turns out the cashier rang them up as a different type of apple altogether.

Gotta love these signs they have in the shop. They don’t play!

[​IMG]

Caught the local bus back to Baha Mar. Just $1.25, smooth ride, and they were playing reggae music over the speakers. Sure won’t see that on most buses!

[​IMG]

Boy did I ever get a tan. Geez.

[​IMG]

Probably going to nap for an hour or two and then see what I feel like doing. Gameplan for tomorrow is to spend time at the beach and pools here... will probably use a kayak too, which is included in the resort fee. Then Thursday I’ll be hitting the fish fry. Will be aiming to hit the famous Daiquiri Shack down the street one of these two days as well.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  5. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry about Sandals being a bummer, bro. I know you were ecstatic per our conversation last night. :( The food options are pretty disappointing for all-inclusive. Even after what you said, I'd probably do Sandals for $140 for a day pass (depending on where I am staying at - but $140 to drink all day sounds pretty damn good). But even I have limits and need some edible food. Now, that is the most effed up Caesar salad I've ever see in my life, and I live for Caesar salads! I've NEVER even heard of FISH in a Caesar salad!

Also, is it a slow time at Sandals or something? For them to have limited amounts of day passes and you nabbing the last one, the pictures make the place look empty. Where is everybody else?

6. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sandals has better food at dinner than at lunch. Some of the places are pretty good, like the stir fry, or the local seafood place. But I would not order pizza from the lunch thing - get stuff that cooks easily at an outdoor grill.

7. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I went to Sandals, I didn't feel overrun with people like a cruise ship. The crowds are generally at the pool/near the swim up bars during the day, and at the restaurants and by the entertainment at night. But it's not outrageous overall (at least it wasn't where I stayed.) Keep in mind that some people are doing excursions during the day every day.

I thought it was a little overpriced, personally, relative to some other places, but it was pretty nice. I don't think I'd do the day pass. The problem with drinking enough to get value out of it is you have to get back to the hotel while totally ripped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, a 'magnum' is that size, usually in wine (and champagne). Never heard of a 'handle' here in Canada. We like to buy the 1.75 L bottles when we visit the states ... can be very cheap!

GG

9. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dammit...I'm getting to Atlantis about 3:30 on a Sunday I think. Murphy's law, but thanks for the review. That looks hard to beat for cheap!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  10. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just FYI, I honeymooned at Sandals in Jamaica for 8 or 9 nights in a free standing villa, one of their upper tier accommodations, and the cost of it by the time you divide it by 2 people and the number of nights, was somewhere in the ballpark of what you paid for 8 hours. I've never been to the one in the Bahamas, but in Ocho Rios, the food at dinner was phenomenal, but they schemed to short change everyone by bringing tiny portions to your table then disappearing for 45 minutes at a time. We starved through about 2 days supplementing with a poolside snack bar (which was excellent by the way) until we realized we could order 2 and 3 of everything per person at once, and that's what we did the rest of the trip. I'd consider going back for cheap and with more realistic expectations now that I learned some tricks, but have to say the biggest impression Sandals left on me was that their primary objective is to upsell you things that cost money, and they will give you the free stuff to which you're entitled, but you have to demand it and learn to game the system or it's a very bad deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Except anchovies...

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fast update from the water. Just out kayaking on Baha Mar’s beach. This is well impressive, and may change my opinion a bit about Baha Mar.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  13. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the best kind of caesar salad! Wish more places would do this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anchovy is actually in the dressing of most Caesar salads. Sometimes they’re a topping, but it’s almost always in the actual dressing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love when they include big chunks of anchovy. :feedme:

16. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most decent restaurants will accommodate if you request whole anchovy fillets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Loving the pics! Bummer sandals and baha mar didn't turn out like you hoped though.

18. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last full day here. Just on the patio having breakfast and watching the fountains. Won’t have time to do a full update until I get home, but I can say there will be some great foodporn, some slot and table footage, and an account of my visits to both the Fish Fry and Daiquiri Shack today.

I’ll have one interim update in about an hour. I’ll give you a hint... it involves flamingoes :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. john1516inny

john1516inny High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NFC, love your reports, Was the Baha Mar very crowded. Were you able to try Café Madeline, if so what did you think.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.