1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do you believe in ghosts?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Kisby, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I'm more of a science/logic guy. OTH, I am positive I saw a UFO that was not from this earth 30 years ago. So go figure what I believe or think. :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone here who talks about luck ... should believe in ghosts, too.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would much rather have a ghost come visit me than ever experience Sleep Paralysis again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're starting to veer off topic now and I fear this thread is about to head to the afterlife for threads. :poke:

But sure.. Why not? People believe a lot of crazy stuff, and I'm not sure why the possibility that dead people's spirits or energy or whatever are still around is any weirder than anything else.

I'm a fan of conspiracy theories. I love a good Bigfoot story, UFO story, ghost story, murder mystery, whodunit, etc. It's all brain candy to play with. There was a guy who owned a little head-shop in a town near us and I LOVED to go visit with him when I had some spare time. He had all the best conspiracy theories. He had a convincing one that Jim Morrison was the second coming of Jesus, but the CIA had to kill him because ... well, that part got a little fuzzy, but whatever. I'm sold. :haha:

I've had a few experiences I can't explain. I don't mean that there is no explanation, but that I can't tell you for sure that there is a rational explanation for it. But I don't lose a lot of sleep worrying about what it was either. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've worked in hospitals for 30 years usually always night shift. One night I passed by one of my rooms door open and I someone in a white uniform walk across the room. I shrugged my shoulders thinking it was my reflection. Then I stopped walking and looked down at my scrubs - Teal not white (I had both). Recently one of our nurses passed away and he always wore white.

A different hospital- one of the oldest in San Antonio one floor was notorious for people hearing children run down the hall playing. The nurses that worked on that floor said that weekly patients would put their call bell ones to complain about the noise. Don't think the nurses ever heard it. The nurse that cross trained me to Nursing Supervisor was a real joker. He took me down to the basement - picture dreary spooky huge basement - where patients charts are kept. He then asked me if I had heard about the Headless Nun. I blew him off at the time but when I asked around many of the nurses had heard about it. If you google Santa Rosa Hospital Headless Nun it's there. Never saw her but I limited by basement trips to a minimum.

Final hospital I work at. Call bells go off by themselves. We had one room that we changed out the call bell, the bed - since the call bell was linked through the bed. Biomed completely checked it out several times and found nothing wrong. It always went off at night - but not every night. We quit putting patients in that room because it would also go off when a patient was in the room. The patient got woke up when the bell was answered. One night the nurses called me because it was going off every 5 minutes or so. The bells are loud enough that it can keep other patients awake. I had read where if you scold a poltergeist it helps -- again not saying I believe. Anyways it was a really busy night but I stayed on the unit until the bell went off again. Walked into the room and turned it off. Then I told it to knock this shit off that it was a busy night and no one thinks this is funny etc. It stopped going off so frequently just two or three times that night and every so often then within one month quit altogether.

Ghosts don't fit into my beliefs. I'm a Christian. When you die you go one of two places. I don't believe one wanders aimlessly or gets stuck -- that's just my opinion and I don't hold or judge others who have a different opinion. I definitely would not stay at any place known for hauntings because I'm a big scaredy cat. With the exception of Gettysburg - something romantic about the notion of Civil War era soldiers -- go figure eh.

I deleted my experiences on afterlife after seeing @Sonya post - sorry.

6. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe very firmly.
    I've had numerous ghostly, paranormal experiences, many of which were in various hospitals I've worked at, as well as private residences (My parents').
    I've actually seen a ghost out of the corner of my eye...I wrote about it in the last ghost thread here, several months ago.

One of these days, I want to spend some time after dark at Devil's Den (Gettysburg).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was growing up there was a small field behind my house where the neighborhood kids would play baseball. There was an elderly couple that lived adjacent to the field and the old lady was one old ornery witch; always yelling at us kids and stole several of our baseballs when they landed in her yard and would not give them back. We had a tree in our backyard whose branches hung over part of her property and she would pick up sticks and branches from our tree that fell into her yard and throw them back over our fence into our yard. One year while we were on vacation she called the power company and tried to con them into cutting down our tree...lying to them that we had told her it was okay to have them do that....what an old battleaxe.

Years went by, I ended up buying the house from my parents and moved back into the old neighborhood. Soon afterward that old crone died of very old age. The house was sold to a young couple. One afternoon I was doing some yard work in the backyard when the man came over to me and asked me about the old couple that had owned their house previously. I told him about the old lady long being the bane of the neighborhood and how mean she was to her husband and the rest of the neighborhood. He then told me that soon after they had moved in that they started to hear noises at night coming from unoccupied rooms. This went on for several weeks, scaring the hell out of the young couple. They were convinced that the old lady was haunting the house. They even had a priest come over and bless the house to see if she would stop....the noises continued. Finally, one of their friends solved the mystery. The house had one of those old coal fired furnaces with the large duct work that had been converted to natural gas. It seemed that some bats had flown down the chimney and at night were fluttering around inside the furnace and bumping into the duct work and the noise was carrying throughout the house. They got rid of the bats and the noises ceased. My belief still is that if there was anyone that would haunt a house out of sheer meanness, it would be that old hag.

Several years ago my son and I had adjacent rooms at the Golden Gate in Las Vegas. Early one morning I was awakened by someone grabbing my forearm with a firm grip and shaking it to wake me up. I figured it was my son trying to get me up to get an early start on the day. I rolled over and opened my eyes only to find that I was alone in the room. The hairs on the back of my neck literally stood on end and a cold chill went through my body.

Ghosts, spirits, spooks....I dunno. I give you these two anecdotes ....one had a logical explanation and the other still makes me wonder.

8. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are some old WW2 ammo storage tunnels that are now being rented out to contractors here on Oahu. My company rented a couple to store supplies and equipment.

One Day our crew was loading up and I took my flashlight and wandered all the way in the back. When I reached the end my flashlight went out. I turned it back on and it immediately went out again. I did this several times but same result. Then it wouldn't turn on at all. I felt a cold chill come over my whole body and I slowly made my way back to the front in pitch black darkness. I remember saying something like "okay, I'm leaving now".

When I got closer to the entrance my flashlight went on and stayed on. There are some things that defy explanation but in situations like these, acknowledging the spirit, ghost, or whatever couldn't hurt. That fucker just didn't want me poking around back there.

Ever heard of the Hawaiian Night Marchers? Try google it. That's some crazy shit.

9. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like a few others have said being s Christian I am confident on what will happen to me when I die. That being said I have Seen and heard things that my faith system can not explain and neither can science. Do like on many other things I straddle the fence. Even though It goes against my faith I believe there are ghosts. Or stranded spirits or maybe it is an energy thing.

But I don’t think any of them are evil, that belief is just to make me feel better.

10. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i don't believe in ghosts but if they exist and I encounter one I might change my mind.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...after pulling all of the pots and pans out, I get a flashlight & look around closely in the cabinet - I spot a small opening in the back of the cabinet, about 2" x 2" square. The wall-space behind that hole is shared with the range-hood vent to the top of the roof.
    A few years back, we had a new roof put on & we went with ridge vents instead of turbine vents... and the last 7 or 8 days, it was quite windy out. So I waited a few minutes, holding my hand right by the opening...sure enough, a wind gust occurred outside & I felt a short burst of wind come through the opening.
    Grabbed a small square of cardboard & gorilla-taped it over the opening.
    "Ghost" problem taken care of!
    :beer:

• Love Love x 1
  12. jack v

jack v MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cmon man, you're ruining the thread.:D

I always like the parts about keys moving, other objects, etc, if a ghost could do that he could also pick up(mysteriously move) a pencil and write "hey marge, it's me, jerry, I'm back".

• Funny Funny x 5
  13. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great thread for Halloween...
    I think at some or several points in a lifetime we all hear, feel, or see some unexplainable things. I'm on the "not a believer" side, but I do think it's interesting to read about, listen to, or watch on TV what our imaginations can come up with when trying to explain the "unexplainable".

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was young my friends and I used to do dumb things like hold seances. One time we were all gathered around in a circle holding hands chanting some dumb shit I’m sure we saw in a movie. There was a big pillar candle in the middle the flame flickered and went out then the candle fell over - Talk about a bunch of screaming 13 year olds falling all over each other trying to get out of the room. One year I asked for Quija board for Christmas. We would ask it dumb things like “does Bobby like me” etc. Once after a few questions sitting around the board the triangle piece moved across the board by itself. Same thing happened a bunch of teenage girls screaming and trampling all over each other trying to get out of the room. That day I threw the board away and I will never touch one again. Same thing with seances - won’t do it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. SloggingScotsman

SloggingScotsman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is I think the key.

look at science....

1. Specific sound frequencies can make you feel ‘spooked’
    2. Open windows and draughty places can move dust etc, in the right light...
    3. Science is increasingly accepting plants talk to each other (seriously check it out), and the key here is communication (of energy in the form of chemicals).
    4. When we are tired our minds can play tricks on us.

Now having reflected on energies for decades my present view is that in some cases ghosts are energy imprints.

one way to consider this, think about...

1. Déjà vue.
    2. If you happen (as I do) to believe in reincarnation then think in terms of energy imprints through time.
    3. Look at all of the now declassified (and commercially trained nowadays by ex spooks) material on intuitive skills. For some it does work, scarily so at times.

Think about a lock and key. Someone lived in a place and created an energy there (aunt aggies house is always relaxing, whereas that castle is always creepy: this church feels comfortable that one feels harsh: this room relaxes me that one fills me with dread: I feel more comfortable in Aria than Circus Circus etc). That is the lock.

you are the key. The first thing that needs to happen is that the right key needs to come across the right lock. It then needs to connect and turn. That can happen automatically. In fact I don’t know how to ‘make it happen’ in anything more than a general evolutionary way.

but just as many policemen and pilots testify that they have seen alien UFOs, (whose word in any other scenario could get someone convicted imprisoned and executed), because seeing ghosts isn’t reproducible to demand, it is laughed at. Does mean that it isn’t true though. Ask Jules Verne, their unfinished novel ‘Paris in the 20th century’ was rejected because of it’s Fantasy of fax machines, electric lights and internal combustion engines. Homo sapiens, just aren’t ready for the evolutionary advantages that could come from ghost level intuitive connections becoming harnessed. Give it a few more centuries/millennia when Homo sapiens are moving towards homo whatever in the long line of human evolution (Erectus, Nethanderal, sapiens etc).

in the meantime, just go with it. Science is getting there.

16. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ich liebe science.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  17. gailtherese

gailtherese Upper Middle Class ?!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t believe in ghosts, but I most DEFINITELY believe in spirits, because i’ve experienced it. After my husband died of cancer in 1999; his spirit came back for both me and one of my two daughters. For me, it was a couple nights after he passed when I woke up in the middle of the night and he was talking from the ceiling and in the sweetest of voices said “momma” - his term of endearment for me. Immediately after that I heard the door leading out to the garage close (and there was a sense that’s all I was getting; which it was........)

For my daughter; when she was in a terrible state of mourning - she got into her car one day very shortly after he died and her radio “clicked” like it was being turned on and an angelic voice came through it telling her everything would be all right. Immediately after this, her (deceased) father walked right past her car and smiled broadly and waved. She told me exactly what he was wearing - a yellow, short-sleeved shirt and khaki shorts (which he had worn many times that summer). A sense came over her that he was fine - and happy.....

My youngest daughter was so bummed he never came back for her; and they were just as close.

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ghost/spirit ... semantics. But your family being able -- or most of you -- to find that sense of closure, that's priceless.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think when we die we just move to a plane closer to nature. Its like if you walk around the forest in the middle of the night. It will be super quit yet there are all sorts of animals around doing their thing. They like it quiet. That is why we only seem to sense ghosts in the middle of the night, They are just a step closer to nature and like the quiet.

This or they might just be in their dimension going about their day and at certain times due to some magnetic flux or some such thing, we get a glimpse into their world. The ground might be a different level or the bnuilding are in different places or whatever in their world so we think they are floating or disappearing and such. Would explain bigfoot and ufos too.

I think also that with this same theory, that we are someone elses ghosts and they see fleeting glimpse of us in their dimension.

I mean, its a better theory then getting scared of a bunch of dust floating around.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.