1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rejected By TSA Precheck registration

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to pile on, but before getting my KTN, (pre-check), I experienced multiple times when the McCarran TSA line ran me more than 30 minutes...one time, it was nearly an hour... and it's never been less than 10 minutes (for me).
    Pre-check/First-Class line has never been more than 3 or 4 people deep (for me)... so, less than a minute to get to the conveyor-belt.

Annual Spring Trip!
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love the blanket utterances here. "I've been to Airport X three whole times and there is NEVER a line so you will never experience a line!!!"

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep - that will help.

Translation of man with phone in hand recording me helping him:

Here we go. This guy is expecting things to go bad. He thinks everyone is out to screw him. He hates rules. He is going to blame me for all the rules I must follow. When it all goes bad, he is going to post this video online. Dear Lord, help me get through this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just went through McCarren to outbound flight. No line but it IS 6:37 am. Both coming and going I was not tsa pre. I am always tsa pre when traveling on the same reservation number with my wife as she has global entry for her escapades abroad. Both times this trip I forgot to take out my liquids which were in an outer pocket of the suitcase for easy access. I was too busy taking off belt and shoes. No problemo either time and both times I didn’t realize it until I got to the gate.
    And I look seriously dangerous so I’m thinking they’re thinking, Just give me a reason to slam you around big boy. Guess the liquid separation isn’t enough. :eek:

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say this is a very significant "it depends" type of thing. Time, place and circumstance!

Atlanta comes to mind as the one I think of for TSA delays, but again, I've breezed through it at times. Almost ditto with O'Hare. McCarran was always usually tolerable, both before and after I got TSA Pre. LaGuardia, for me, anyway, has usually been quick. Newark, BWI, OMA, SAN seem to be a coin flip, but much better with TSA Pre.

Morning rush times will always be worse at most any of the above. Mid afternoon will always be better at most any of the above.

I've seen the worst lines, however, at Grand Island, a smaller commercial airport. If there's a plane going out shortly, there will be a nasty line at the singular checkpoint with no real switchback queue to hold said line. If there's not a plane going out, there will be no line. (DUH!) :)

6. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I finally decided to get Global Entry. I've been on the fence if it would be worth it. I've been averaging 1 international trip per year plus 2 domestic trips. Lines at my home airport in MSP have been all over the map the last few years. I have had pre-check a few times at MSP and it was pretty quick but that was before this year.

7. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It could be a known a quirk of their metal detectors -- they do that sometimes at JFK, too, because even though you're not supposed to have to remove your belt, I find that it inevitably sets off the metal detectors. So it's easier to just do it up-front as opposed to having to deal with holding up the line. I also find that even with PreCheck they get flummoxed occasionally by my electronics situation, as I travel with two laptops, two phones, and a tablet, which I think is difficult for the people operating the X-ray machine to parse.

8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a titanium plate and screws in my left leg which sometimes sets them off, although TSA denies that.

9. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TSA is just one of the many things I have to learn to deal with when traveling. Not much I can do about these things since I live on an island in the middle of a huge pond.

The best I can do with my car is get in and drive in circles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Travel sucks. The only thing worse than traveling is not traveling.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One pair of shoes I have will set off the walk thru detector about half the time - so I remove them now. They are slip on loafers and easier to just take them off.

We do maybe 20 flights a year I guess and precheck is awesome. EXCEPT when you get that random beep.. but even then, no big deal. They either do a quick swap of bag, b hand, or have me do the standup stationary detector thing. My wife on the other hand gets very upset that she gets un-randomly picked.

12. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This sounds a lot like Louisiana DMV. I have seen some of the rudest people who hate their jobs and hate the DMV customers as well. Thank goodness for the tag companies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think a lot of us on this board are aging. Getting old ain’t for sissies. Nothing wrong with trying to stay and feel young. I’ve only been going to Vegas the last 10 years and it has definitely changed to entice a younger generation. But I still find it enjoyable.

• Like Like x 2
  14. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the risk of straying off topic, this reminds me of one of my favorite stories -- a woman was wearing boots and they set off the detector, so the agent told her to take them off and walk through again. She took them off... and then held them in her hands as she walked through the metal detector. Which, of course, set it off again. "Ma'am, that is not how this works."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whatever the elixir, find it. It doesn’t stop the inevitable, it doesn’t miraculously render us 19 again, it doesn’t make us sexier or funnier. It simply is supposed to make us happy or at least happier. Hopefully day to day life isn’t such that some joy can’t be found daily, but all do better with such a find.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate you sharing, it makes my morning a little less frustrating. You're 70? I didn't picture that.

17. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of it depends on the specific terminal/airline. For example, a couple years back, Newark had PreCheck but not for certain AA flights; I'm not sure if they've fixed that. Atlanta is tough because they have Pre but, at least last time I was there, it was at only one entrance that's a hike from where you might actually need to be going. Dulles can be like that as well.

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m sitting at PHX. My flight is delayed several hours as the originating flight this morn had a weather problem. What can you do?

19. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to close this topic as I just had to clean up a number of inflammatory posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.