1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rejected By TSA Precheck registration

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If enough of the traveling public make this move “our” line will be wayyyy shorter. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. jack v

jack v MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont understand the fascination with pre check? If you're a heavy traveler, sure, it's nothing, but for a few flights a year it's completely unnecessary IMO. Even in Vegas the regular lines are 5-10-15 min tops. Sometimes there's no line at all.

It sounds like Breeze was treated like crap, there's no reason to tolerate that.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Traveling to Baltimore for anything will be as pleasant as your visit to the TSA office. :thumbsup:

I'm with you, screw giving TSA a penny, I haven't and won't. I had to fly several times a year for work before I retired (and a few vacations as well). The lines, at least out of Chicago and many return flights, were marginally better. There were times the pre-check line was longer when business travel was heaviest (Monday mornings). United used to code me pre-check half the time for free based on my frequent flier status, but even as that was phased out, I never wanted to bother with the interview process or cost. Not sure if I would bother if work paid for it (or a CC).

I fly only for recreation these days, don't miss the business travel at all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sort of want to have a job like hers.

5. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The thing I like most about TSA pre check is not having to take my shoes off. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Breeze147 other than the line issue, @Catzilla brought up the reason why I chose to get TSApre and that is so I wouldn't have to struggle with taking off my shoes. I think you mentioned you were 70...aren't you now allowed to bypass all that remove this and that crap and proceed? If so, then I double agree with not bothering!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think for those who don't travel often, TSA Precheck probably isn't necessary. I travel fairly often and not just to Vegas, so it's worth it for me, since I don't have to remove my shoes, belt, light jacket, and stuff from my backpack like a laptop PC, liquids, etc. Also, I don't have to go through the full body scanner, just the metal detector.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly, a "few" times a year is breaking down $100 for five years, and a few bucks per flight if you're regularly traveling. It's not "nothing", for sure, but it's a huge convenience savings and not a big marginal cost. Coming out of Vegas, I can tell you that I sometimes will be on early-morning flights where there are easily 50+ people in the main line (plus you have to deal with the electronics policy, taking your shoes/jacket/belt off, etc.) and with PreCheck you can just roll up to the checkpoint.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I daresay that you will understand quite well if you would take one "rush hour" morning flight out of the north terminal at OMA, when the hoi polloi line is backed up half-way up that slanty hallway and the TSA Pre line is maybe 5 deep or so!

10. JJLV

JJLV High-Roller

Frozen Tundra. Desert dream died with him.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, he is too young. (Nice to hear too young once in a while)...
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures/screening-passengers-75-and-older
    Screening for Passengers 75 and Older
    Passengers 75 and older can receive some form of expedited screening through risk-based intelligence-driven security that allows TSA to better focus resources on passengers who more likely pose a risk.

Screening Benefits
    You may leave on your shoes and light jacket during screening.

If you alarm during security screening, you may be required to remove your shoes for further screening or undergo a pat-down. You can request to be seated during this portion of the screening.

11. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're only flying once a year, I agree that it's not worth the hassle. Having read over the whole thread end-to-end, I think you made the right call.

The only comment I want to make though is that in my opinion, your issue isn't with TSA... but with this one specific employee you dealt with. From what you describe, I agree that her conduct was absolutely unacceptable... interrupting you, THROWING your ID at you, and calling you a liar? That's no way to treat anyone... so you're right to be mad, and you were totally right to report her for it.

It could be argued that the underlying rigidity of her behaviour is simply part of the job as mandated by the TSA... which would then support the idea that your issue is in fact with the TSA. Though I'd politely counter this by saying that in order for trusted traveller programs such as TSA precheck to have their intended effect, they must take an approach that is at least somewhat rigid when it comes to screening applicants. Remember, they're taking a big security risk by waiving screening requirements for you... which means that it's their way or the highway, and they need to follow the carefully-designed processes to a T. Any amount of wiggle room when it comes to things like documentation requirements is exactly what those who shouldn't have precheck would be looking to exploit... and in the end, it would defeat the purpose of the program.

She could have handled this more tactfully and politely... but it appears she simply followed the rules. And I think you and I can both agree that these are not silly formality rules, they're rules that exist to protect the integrity of a program in which the stakes are (literally) sky high.

If I was in your exact position, I would have done absolutely nothing different from what you did. However, if I flew more than once per year I wouldn't let this one experience ruin the whole program for me. Because if I had to wait several hours in line multiple times per year only to avoid giving TSA my money/time/attention, I've basically let them win at the expense of countless hours of my time.

If for whatever reason you get the inclination to get precheck another time, I'd suggest trying to get in touch with that supervisor you spoke to, to ask him "Give me an exact checklist of what you need from me, to ensure we don't have a repeat of last time". He knows what happened to you, and seems to get along with you a lot better than whoever that girl at the desk was... so I think that by being proactive about it, you can effectively guarantee yourself a successful outcome the second time around.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try again, but this time record the session using your phone. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  13. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's how Cindy and I got ours. Just bring the necessary documentation and show up for your appointment. We were twenty minutes early, and were both processed and out the door before our originally scheduled appointment time.

In Tampa, for TSA pre-check, it (the instruction sign) says you don't have to remove your belt. However, you go through the metal detector - and inevitably before stepping through - Mister TSA Guy says "sir, remove your belt, please". So, apparently there is some sort of disconnect in our expeditated processing system.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  14. Roccoscollar

Roccoscollar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TSA precheck = life changing

15. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TSA discontinued allowing seniors to automatically go to precheck.

16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always wear socks.

17. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

It's not the shoes Breeze but those rolls of quarters you hide in your underwear.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I honestly don’t think you folks are getting my drift. I was automatically going to lose any situation at this particular MDOTMVA and in this particular town. It is notorious for giving people in my demographic a hard time over anything. It was this way in 1993 when I first moved to this area and has stayed the same. It’s why I have avoided this area for 15 years, even though it has the closest mall. I would rather drive 75 miles to the mall in Fredericksburg, VA than go to this one.

I went there because I thought U ID was a separate entity and not staffed by MDOT personnel.

I just don’t care anymore about the line. I’ll strip naked and go through security just for the laugh. My shorts DID fall down on my last trip.

They used to say get there early, until I found out that they searched my checked bag BECAUSE I was early and cut off my TSA approved lock.

I have been having an internal debate for the last 24 hours over whether Las Vegas is worth it anymore. With all of the myriad changes to the city, I’m not sure that all of the hassles are a vacation or an aggravating obligatory trip to see an ancient aunt whose time has passed.

It’s not just yesterday’s incident but a creeping feeling that I’m just going through the pathetic motions of trying to stay young.

19. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's quite simple. I don't have to take off my shoes or belt. I don't have to take my electronics out. I don't have to take my quart bag of liquids out. I don't have to empty my pockets and in Milwaukee, the pre- check line is always shorter then the regular line. Easy decision for both of us.

• Like Like x 2
  20. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few weeks ago I was "randomly selected" out of TSA Pre for an electronics check.

"Excuse me, you have been randomly selected for an electronics inspection, can you please operate one of your electronic devices?"
    "Whadaya want, camera, phone, laptop?"
    "Any of those will be fine."
    "Here's the phone."
    "Just let me see it operate."
    "{click-click} - main screen"
    "That's fine, have a nice trip."

Oh well ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.