1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping on Complimentary Transportation

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Winner23red, Oct 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winner23red

Winner23red Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I realize tipping is pretty much a personal thing, but I'm looking for what various member feel is an appropriate tip for a 5 mile ride for two via complimentary transportation to a restaurant, more specifically Casa di Amore.

2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $20

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the ride is complimentary, but you are tipping the driver for their time

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being one who gives a minimum $5 tip on any type of ride I would at least give that much.

5. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would tip between 20% to 40% of what the ride would have cost if you had taken the taxi or Limo to that location. For example, if you are going X miles and if you had hired a Limo on your own dime and they would have charged you $50 for that ride, then I would tip $10 to $20 for that ride (i.e 20% to 40%), based on the level of service I received. My minimum tip is usually $10

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Based on what I’ve tipped for shorter basic shuttle rides while traveling, I would say at least $5, more if it’s a premium service or going through a lot of traffic :)

7. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $20 for two people.
    If we have two couples we usually throw in $20 per couple.
    If it is it round trip then more.

8. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $20

9. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tip $20 for the ride from the airport to MGM Grand. Pretty short ride imo.

No reason to go home yet.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Winner23red

Winner23red Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for your responses. I've never used complimentary transportation and the last thing I want to do is low-ball the driver. I typically Uber or Lyft around Vegas when I'm not renting a vehicle so I was a bit clueless. I usually tip $3 or $5 when doing share-ride but that just seemed inappropriate for comp'd transportation. Thanks again for everyone's input.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For last few years, mgm property’s have been offering complimentary limo ride while I’m in Vegas, I have been tipping minimum $20 per ride ex) MB hotel to Park MGM, bellagio or fashion mall etc. usually me and wife if there’s more then two people then $30.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HeliBen

HeliBen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    when you tip $20 for a ride from the airport, doesn't that "free ride" turn into a "twice the regular cost" ride? ^^

13. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    a "free" limo ride is always more expensive than other forms of transportation. The "free" just means that they are not charging you the $35-$50 an hour rack rate like Presidential limo would. You are tipping for the driver's time. They work on tips. If they are waiting for you at the airport, assist with luggage, and then drive you to your hotel, they probably have close to an hour invested in your "free ride". You are tipping for that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. HeliBen

HeliBen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    are you saying they do not get a salary at all? :eek:

15. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well in my case, mgm offers “complimentary limo ride” I’m pretty sure drivers gets salary (I bet they work like waitress/waiter perhaps small salary plus tips) anyhow, as I travel to Vegas 3 times a year drivers get to know you and they try their best take care you while they drive you to destination; again my case, drivers make sure I have cold waters along w some snacks - I sometimes put in last minute request stop at bank, stores on way to hotel and they have no problem doing it. Wife and I we been using limo rides last few years it’s been worked out great - every time we use Uber it’s usually $10 plus anywhere within strip. So for us to spend $20 for tip it’s well worth the money besides drivers know all the short cuts (go thru back parking lot etc) it’s just awesome. Besides we occasionally goto Resturants outside of usual strip or local where Uber usually comes out $20 plus TIP and if we take limo there it turns into very smooth ride plus just $20 tip comes out less lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I over tip. Don't know why but I do, especially at the beginning of the trip. In addition to the comments above I just feel like it is good karma.

I think a $20 tip each way to and from the airport for a "free/comped" limo is about right. I typically tip $50 on pick up if I have a $50 and $30 or $40 returning. I never seem to have fifty dollar bills when I leave. It shouldn't matter re the tip but I also get picked up typically in a RR, the only time in my life I will likely ever ride in one. Lol.

When the driver takes my mom and three nieces back to the airport from Encore at the end of the trip I give a crisp Benjamin to the driver before they take off (with an ask to please take good care of my mom), but the car is PACKED, with my mother's walker typically in the front seat of a RR. Lol. Not kidding and yeah, it is that packed.

When they leave I typically have one day on my own in Vegas so I don't go to the aiport as I know my mom is in great hands with my adult nieces and the driver.

Meant to add for the few times I have taken a Wynncore car to some place in town I also tip $20. I do get the sense that most people don't do that as the drivers are always appreciative but seem a little surprised, especially since I am typically solo.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    • Love Love x 2
  17. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find it all interesting and somewhat confusing/illogical.

Uber $15, plus a couple bucks tip for some folks
    Taxi - a few bucks more than uber and a few bucks tip
    Paid Limo $60 plus some sort of tip
    Comped Limo $no upfront, but often a $20 tip (also a small hit to your comp/adt calculation)
    Bus $3-5 I guess - no tip?
    Shuttle Bus to Car Rental Center - free, no tip
    Hotel Shuttle - free, plus some tip

As far as I know, every one of these jobs gets paid to do their job.

(disclaimer - I usually tip Uber $3, limo driver $20, waitress at 20%)

18. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is addressed a tad above but not much is the qualitative difference, for me at least, between schlepping something and having someone greet me and take things off my hands. Great way to start a vacation. As a now Vegas regular, it is also a great feeling to be greeted by drivers that have picked me up or dropped me off before. I also think there is no comparison, from an experience standpoint, between hopping in a cab/Lyft or Uber when the driver could be great or not and the car can be clean and fresh or not vs being greeted by a familiar face that gets my vacay off to a nice start. If anyone is looking for the least expensive way to get from A to B then the choice is easy.

I tip well in Vegas and elsewhere for that matter but just hopped on the subway from JFK. I can afford the $65 with tip that Lyft would have been but with not much luggage paying $5 for the Air Tran and 2.50 for the subway with few folks riding on a Sunday just feels like what this NYer wanted to do today. :)

I have also, with thousands on me, taken the bus from the LAS airport to the strip for the heck of it to see what it was like.

Bottom line is cost, for me at least, is one of many factors, especially when I am on vacation and in particular a Vegas vacation.

• Like Like x 2
  19. thebeachbum

thebeachbum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always tip for complimentary transportation. Depending on the service the driver provides in addition to just driving, I tip accordingly.

Need a good trip this time
  20. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, Limo drivers are not treated as tipped employees by Las Vegas hotels, they are paid like housekeeping employees. Usually around $12 an hour. But it is still a good thing to tip them.

Waitresses and room service employees (i.e. the ones who bring up your food) are paid as tipped employees.

Yeah, tipping is never rational and is really based on society's expectation (as opposed to based on someone's time). I had a limo driver in Las Vegas who used to do Uber and he said that he earned less from his Uber than he earns in base wages as a hotel limo driver (especially when considering the depreciation, maintenance and gas for the car falls on him as opposed to the hotel). On top of that, he would only get tipped $5 at best for an airport ride an an uber while picking up $10 to $20 on tips as a Limo driver.

• Love Love x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.