1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cheap 4k TVS with PIP (Picture in Picture)

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Multifarious5, Oct 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are replacing a TV as it's on its last limbs.

We want a 4k UHD, bluetooth, smart 55 inches under $500.

Found an LG that fits everything and ordered it (arrives tomorrow). The one thing it doesn't have that we wanted was PIP (Picture in picture). Years ago some models would let you watch two channels without a cable splicer, but it seems to have gone by the wayside.

Before I tear into that box tomorrow, anyone know of a PIP TV that is under $500, 4k UHD etc.?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  2. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OH my GOSH I could be like one of those annoying women on the Price is Right who love to give Bob Barker a big hug even though you can tell he is cringing....I could hug YOU Dfalk!

I really think this TV is just what I wanted, EXCEPT PIP, so you saved the day Dfalk! I am absolutely getting this.

You are my Hero with a.capital H!

• Love Love x 1
  4. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad I help!

• Like Like x 2
  5. blue808

blue808 Lahaina Strong.!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It looks like the PiP function on this unit only works for the other sub-channels within the device... it will work if you PiP between a TV program on input 1 and a DVD on input 2, but you can't PiP two separate TV programs because you only have one tuner (on your TV).. I think you would need a device like a Roku set up on one of the four channels to PiP between two TV programs...

It's interesting to note that the upgraded version of this unit does not have the PiP function...

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Part of the PIP function is where the 2nd signal comes from. Sometime another device such as DVD, ROKU, etc. Seems some cable systems do PIP from within the actual cable box and it sends that to the TV - so in that case the tv itself does not PIP at all. It just sees the one signal from the cable box.

If the TV allows inputs including the over the air attenae, that would be good - is that is one of the channels you want.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, quick update, not on the PIP, BUT in case someone is looking at TVS.

I bought an LG 4k HDR, great personal reviews, but no CNET review (my technical Bible).

Didn't love the picture. Today, it started blacking out briefly every minute or two. Returned it.

I always do Best Buy (BB) free financing. Chatting UP BB the staff (when I returned the DUD TV) , thought I wanted a Samsung. Good, but they weren't in LOVE.

Apparently a new brand, TCL, is dominating the market, and is in the "let's prove ourself" phase.

The display outshone anything except OLED in the store, so we went with the 55", $499.

A big plus, it's full array backlighting, better than direct backlight ING and absolutely better than edge.

Also we LOVE it's higher-end construction, brushed metal edging, metal feet, just much more solid and quality.

Picture is gorgeous. (I like sci-fi in a dark room, so this is big for me.)

Much more logical on set-up navigation.

And the clincher? CNET stated "TCL's 6 series is the best TV value we've ever reviewed." I don't know know if I've ever seen CNET say "best ever reviewed" https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-55r615-2018-roku-tv-review/

Plusses:
    Backlighting options:
    https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/edge-lit-vs-full-array

Gorgeous color, depth and crispness when you adjust to your liking. (the LG I never fell in love with.)

The only negatives for me is the remote sucks. A tiny roku remote. But surprisingly? I like it better than the LG magic remote, and I'd rather have a better quality TV and get a different remote, than a so so TV with a better remote.

All in all, I'd never heard of TCL, so if anyone is in the market, I wanted to share that it's definitely a brand to research. 3 people at Best Buy were NOT surprised my LG was cruddola. Same three also highly recommended TCL... and CNET gave it great reviews too.

Again, ours is the 6 Series, which has the full array backlight, which is a BIG plus. But if in the market, you might give TCL a glance. It was night and day better than the LG we returned, who knew!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.