1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Am I Suppose To Be Limping Or Bruised From Physical Therapy?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Sep 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Both have occurred in the last 2 weeks
    Geez !
    2 weeks ago the PT rolls my thigh with a metal bar.
    Next 5 days - I have a yellow / sore bruise on my outer thigh....
    Not alot of muscle there anymore ......more bone....
    WTF......it hurt like hell
    So
    Monday.....I have a PT session and I'm asked " Roller or hand ?"
    I tell my story......then " Hand massage , please "
    Did my exercises......with 2 new ones.....
    Geez
    Today ( 16 hrs later ) I'm limping in hip pain the whole damn day !
    Ugh
    Just bitchin'.......I'm sore as hell.......
    PT ends in 3 more sessions.......NO MATTER WHAT !......NO MAS !!!!!!!!
    I'm done w it.........I'll work it myself and NOT pay the co-pay
    Thank you

2. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My uneducated answer: NO.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, Joe. Were these your first 2 sessions? Speaking from someone who has had a lot of PT since my accident last year, and once before after a car accident, the first couple of sessions are normally the toughest for me. I'm normally sore that day and often the next day during the first several sessions, and sometimes when they add a new exercise. I will sometimes get swelling or bruises still even now.

I make sure I take Advil (or Tylenol / Aleve, etc.) about an hour before PT and ice after. I do prefer doing some things on my own, like working in the therapy pool. I hope you can find something that works for you. I would not be walking as well as I am without PT though, so even though it's painful at times I know I need to keep working at it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Therapy isn't easy. It's supposed to stress us to some level. It's like exercise; we don't gain unless we get uncomfortable. The question is when is something too much, too far? There are no answers here, however. You should be candid with your PT and assigning physician about this, what you are feeling, why it concerns you. Hear what they have to say, interact. There's not one level of therapy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Bond......the name is......James.....Bond........
    Thank you for responding
    Hope you recover, well.....Good luck.....I like the water therapy idea, ALOT !
    I may join somewhere - to get pool access.

.....but no......these aren't new sessions
    I'm 16 months removed from hip replacement

6. 3544quebec

3544quebec High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well if you will choose a PT dressed in leather chaps......

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I was wondering why she had a black mask on ?
    My handcuffs felt tight, too ?

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before I was cleared to work in the pool on my own, and actually while I was still non weight bearing, I started physical therapy in the pool one session a week along with my regular sessions. The pool sessions are not as painful and helped with range of motion. It also helped me get used to walking on that leg again once I was able to start putting a bit of weight on it. I had severe tibia plateau fractures on both sides of my knee plus tibia and fibula fractures so a bit different than a hip but it's still been an interesting recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My f-i-l refused to do much of any of his therapy following his knee replacement: It hurt too much. It was an inconvenience. It took time. You name it. He could be pain-free and fully mobile but he's not. His choice. It's sad, or at least unfortunate. When they put my humerus back together years ago they had me up doing stretches that afternoon. I really wanted to hate those people but they were looking out for me. Thank you, therapists.

I've been trying to ride with faster riders and incorporating more of the necessary hills. Sometimes I get dropped, sometimes I'm the last one back. I need that. I haven't ridden for 10 days now and I'm trying to come up with all sorts of excuses not to do the group ride tonight, but I will. I look forward to seeing the gang after being out of circulation for the past month.

Keep working it, Joe. The alternative is much worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  10. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After an on work injury (torn tendon) I saw orthopedic, chiro and phyciricist (sp). Last determines injury extent and maps out therapy. Part of mine was massage therapy, better known as masochistic behavior. It does help though. Never tried tylonol before, but, drink lots of water after. It really helps.

Good Luck!
    Ric at joes

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PT sucks. aging sucks.
    that is my explanation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have gone for physical therapy for different problems. One time the therapist wanted to have me sit on a large plastic ball for therapy. I said I would not sit on the ball because I was afraid
    of falling. So I did some other type of therapy. I am getting old and my bones do hurt when the weather changes. I prefer pool therapy and massage. The young therapists don't get it that as we get older we get more pain from harsh therapy. If something doesn't feel positive I tell them lets try something else. They always agree.
    Joe , I hope you get better health wise.

13. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Thank you

14. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes what you are experiencing is normal.

15. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope you feel better soon.

16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whoa, or fishnets and tall, patent leather boots with spike heels and wearing a patent leather corset?

17. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. My wife is a PT.

Basically you get hurt. You go to PT. They hurt you until you feel better.

It's just like working out, but not doing your standard bench press, treadmill or pushups and situps, etc.

18. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anecdotal information: I play tennis with a number of guys, mostly 50-80 years old. Almost half of the men have had at least one knee replacement. Post surgery PT is a pain – literally. Without exception, everyone who did their PT religiously are back playing tennis and very active; those who didn't, aren't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing I would add from my experiences (2 ACL/meniscus surgeries), I would say continue to do as much of the exercises you can at home after your PT sessions end. Other areas get weak or stressed compensating for the injured area while you recoup. Those areas take time to recover too and can't really start that process until the original injury is good to go. Your therapist has probably incorporated not only things to help the injury, but, also the areas around it into your program so you don't end up with a secondary injury. Example: After my first knee surgery, I ended up back in PT to rehab both Achilles tendons because I thought I was good to go with only football specific workouts since my knee felt 100%.

20. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a similar story. My boss took 6 months off (what a time to be alive!) to have both knees replaced (3 months apart). She didn't take PT seriously and had to have one knee replaced again a few years later. She never did get rid of her cane and theoretically she shouldn't have needed it.

Another lady at work had knee replacement. Due to language barrier she didn't properly do PT so her recovery was much longer than it should have been, but once she figured out what she was supposed to do she made a full recovery and doesn't walk with any walking aids and there is no limping.

The moral of my stories... listen to your PT and do as they say!

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.