1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Remember when Christmas stuff wasn't out until Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Valgal, Sep 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Last year my wife was hellbent on getting THAT TREE UP ! NOW !
    She put it up the day after Thanksgiving.......my son and I decorated a couple days later.
    ........well.......there was no frenzy to take it down ?
    Damn thing was still there until mid February !
    Neither of us had the energy
    My Christmas music selection goes this way -
    I only listen to the stuff I like.......which is certain songs by certain performers.
    Why would I listen to some crap singer(s) ruining....the few Christmas songs there are ?
    There's about 50 good ones.......
    I'm not gonna listen to ________ ( insert name )...... butcher the few great songs of the season.
    On TV
    Hallmark Channel ran EVERY ONE of their Christmas Movies - during June and July !!!!!
    I didn't know there were so many BAD Christmas Movies ?

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, you watched them all? ;-)

I got a Cabbage Patch doll during the frenzy. One of my friend's dads worked overseas - I want to say Taiwan but am not sure and that was a long dang time ago - so my parents were lucky - he brought back a bunch for the parents of his kid's friends ;-)

We don't do presents at Christmas and haven't for a long time. This year we're going to be traveling for a couple weeks over the holidays - haven't decided what we'll do with the tree. Might just put the tree up (fake, because the only way I get 6 weeks of a tree is if I use a fake) but not decorate it....It's a prelit tree, I love it. And a wreath from Costco - on an inside door! - to get the scent....

3. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m guilty of leaving my tree up way past New Years. I have a lot of Made in Japan Knick knacks angels/Santa’s etc. Drives my husband crazy.

As I said before I do most of my shopping on line and try to use Southwest Rapid Rewards. One after Christmas sale I like us Peir 1.

4. UnicornTX

UnicornTX High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love getting an early start on Christmas. Our daughter was born on Dec. 26 so Christmas is over on the night of Dec. 25th and we move on to birthday celebration. Most all Christmas decorations including the tree are put up on Christmas night except for the Snow Village. Lights outside stay up until after Jan. 1.

I’m not fond of Fall weather or the the colors of orange or brown. Not fond of raking up falling leaves messing up my nice green lawn.

5. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate this term but here goes: it's the new normal. of course it is all about money, not religion or Christmas.
    these days, I fully expect to see Christmas stuff at the stores in August.
    who knows when this trend will subside.
    there was a new store opening near me nearly 2 months ago. at the grand opening, they were fully stocked with Halloween and Christmas.
    is it supply and demand or just insanity?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Insanity. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Safe to say I did not watch ANY Hallmark Christmas Movies.
    But everyday while surfing for something to watch on The Guide Page
    There would be those Hallmark movies listed.....again....and again......and.....
    In June + July ?

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will subside only if/when consumers quit responding to it.

• Love Love x 1
  9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love to watch the Hallmark movies. They have a couple formulas they adapt for the season (they had lots of June weddings, Fall in love, Christmas etc) They're nice to have on in the background when I'm working. I don't find them "bad" (formulaic, absolutely. Redundant? Sure. Shown repeatedly? Well, maybe) I enjoy them more than the dramatic reenactments on Lifetime, for example.

I get that they might not be your thing. But I don't think it's fair for you to call them all bad if you haven't seen any of them. They "don't appeal to you" might be more accurate....

[as for "real" Christmas movies, I have a box full of DVDs I watch every year, along with whatever FreeForm (formerly ABCFamily) shows during December....]

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. nancyf

nancyf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also LOVE Hallmark movies - especially the Christmas ones... they may be corny but they make me feel good... My husband makes fun of them but he knows I enjoy them so he might sit in the room through one of them.... usually I watch while he is out on his motorcycle.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Why can't I say they're bad ?
    My opinion
    It conflicts ?....so I have to change my opinion ?
    It doesn't reflect on YOUR opinion.........but people here take offense too much
    in these situations - and feel they have to DEFEND their preference
    I'm NOT being offensive to your opinion
    Sorry....Hoya........not personal
    I'm a BAAAAAD BOY !!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you haven't actually watched them, how do you know they're bad?

I watch them...love 'em.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Rob6 8

Rob6 8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They put stuff out in October and scratch their heads and wonder why December sales aren't what they used to be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My son and daughter on a trip to Walmart this weekend. She is a Christmas junkie. My son’s response—classic. And he has his Area 51 T-shirt on. The 2nd pic was followed by another humbug family member.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the image size. Tapatalk used to let you change the size.

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am lazy so my Christmas tree stays up all year. It has been up for four years now. I add a little something here and there for other holidays such as Mardi Gras; Easter; Independence Day etc. I don't turn it on (it is prelit) until mid November. I do my shopping year round and stockpile it and rarely go in stores for Christmas shopping. I have a stepdaughter and grandson who were both born on December 25th so we celebrate Christmas that morning and later that day we do birthdays. We never give a gift and say its for Christmas and Birthday. We celebrate each separately so they don't feel cheated out of their birthday. Also I never go shopping on black Friday and cringe at standing in line for anything.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And so they tell themselves, "shit, wtf?" so next year the stuff comes out in September.

And so on and so on.

Oh and Black Friday becomes purple Thursday and yellow Wednesday and all out Tuesday.

And 2 years from now Christmas items will be up on January 2nd. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The reason that the Christmas stuff is popping up in stores now is because it's arriving from China now. Most retailers won't warehouse stuff like decorations and wrapping paper until closer to the holiday - they just start stocking the shelves. And you have the folks who want year round carols on cloud 9 when they see it. For me, I don't notice stuff not on sale so I just blow by it.

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    China. For when your holiday giving says only the best.

19. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Real tree and swag -- about two weeks before
    Other decorations -- OK from 12/1 on
    Varied music, but judiciously played earlier on -- ditto
    Christmas movies ... but not Hallmark -- ditto

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  20. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was a big day when the JCPenney Christmas catalog arrived in the mail each fall. It was definitely a "wish book" as we could only dream to get the awesome toys it offered.

Grandma received the Sears and Montgomery Ward catalogs, which all the grandkids studied when we visited. Grandma kept the catalogs for years as we enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures.

The catalog's best role was a signal that the magic of Christmas was coming to a Wisconsin farm family once again. I didn't realize it then, but I really grew up rich in what matters.

RICHARD

• Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.