1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's the big deal with Popeye's new chicken sandwich ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by rooster42000, Aug 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Social media is the key. Everyone on twitter thinks it’s great so it must be great. In small towns like where I live just anything new. When Whataburger opened up here it was extremely busy. I waited for months to go for the lines to become reasonable. Whataburger to Texas is what In and Out is to California.

Someone got a huge raise at Popeyes. Pure genius. Throw some chicken strips on a bun. Build it and they will come.

• Love Love x 1
  2. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oo, could it be?

Hungey for Popeyes!

3. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    exactly, just word of mouth from social media and it blew up for Chic-fil-A and popeyes...myself, ill try anything once and I just happen to like chicken sandwiches, lol...now I would never, ever sit in a line for hours trying to get one...

BTW its not 3 chicken strips, its a boneless chicken breast, Popeyes said you can bring your own bun and add 3 strips and it would taste the same, that is if they give you the pickles and sauce the add to it...

many years back they opened a Krispy Kreme donut shop a few blocks from my house, its open 24 hours, when it first opened, the drive-thru line wrapped around the building, down the road about 8 blocks and then turned onto another road which who knows how far it went. it was like that for 2 weeks straight 24 hours a day. I walked to the place on the 4th day, walked in, bought a dozen and walked out 5 minutes later lol

the power of social media

• Love Love x 1
  4. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grow or die. That's it. When dinosaurs ruled the earth KFC could be had in a cardboard box, emblazoned with Harlan Sanders likeness, containing all you needed or wanted. It was chicken you ate with your hands. Then, other restaurants start serving something other than McWhopperBurgers and Wienerschnitzel dogs. Once people bought into the idea that fried chicken was somehow better for you - bordering on health food - than grilled beef, what better way to serve a little bit of chicken than wedged between two slices of bread. Hey. It was something different. And now that everyone sells chicken sandwiches, there's gotta be some way to differentiate product and garner market share. I wonder how they all rank according to people in Chicago?
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-viz-chicken-sandwich-best-worst-liststory-20190828-wffor4rz4ze5pjuckt25jun2fa-list.html

Thing is, Popeye's is new. IF you like Popeye's Poulet, you'll probably like their sandwich. And like all buzz...we bide our time waiting for the next big thing. :wink2:

P.S. - this comes from a guy who has a difficult time accepting that 'social media influencer' is actually a real live thing. I s'pose it's the interweb equivalent to the celebrity endorsement of days gone by.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    dang! You sent this at lunchtime and I'm to busy to head over to my nearest Popeye's, about 15 minutes away.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have any social media except a youtube account, and of course , you wonderful people.

I know nothing of this idiocy until I saw this thread, and upon further review saw the fight video(s) over sandwiches in various locations.

I haven't had Popeyes in years, but I had 2 Chick Fil A grilled patties for lunch a few weeks ago, and they were so salty I only could finish one, and I'm a fat person.

Seriously, I'll eat a pile of shit when I get hungry to quiet the growl...This was too much. It was briny. Service was great, fast, food was hot, order correct etc...

I'd rather have mediocre or even subpar service as long as the food was good. This shit wasn't even edible.

One of the ladies in my office got a regular chicken sandwich and said it was also super salty.

7. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really? Grilled (i.e. rubber) chicken breast maybe, but I never heard even Popeye himself claim that fried chicken was good for you. Are people saying this?

8. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm too lazy to read all of the talk.

I'll chime in by saying I haven't tried it.

A few Saturdays ago I decided to pick up a couple for lunch, as we were a bit light on lunch fare at the house. Went to my local MN Popeye's and there was a paper sign on the window. All out and no more for five days. Oh well.

I posted about it on our local Facebook group, mostly because it was funny to me. Others reported locations around the Minneapolis area being out as well. We soon learned it was a national phenomena.

A couple of weeks later I'm picking up a jumbo meal for dinner with my niece's family. She got to pick the meal after her first day of kindergarten. I've brainwashed my nieces into thinking Popeye's is a great choice over the local fried chicken hot spot, which charges about three times as much for food. Better quality at the local joint, no doubt, but we do chicken dinners about once every three months, Popeye's will suffice at about one-third the price.

I get to that same Popeye's and the sign on the door says the lobby is closed. (I usually go in and order carryout.) You can only do drive-thru. Odd...not sure why they were short staffed. Was it related to the employment issues restaurants were having by being overwhelmed with the demand for the sandwich? Your guess: Better than mine.

Drive-thru sign notes chicken sandwiches are not an option until later this fall.

Demand for a processed chicken patty is at historic levels. Who saw that coming?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Popeyes.png

I will check this sandwich out soon.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    5 Guys is better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't had the sammy as the local popeyes is 50 miles away

But I'm old enough to remember the time when KFC had large chicken pieces (where do they get those small chickens now a days?) and rolls instead of biscuits. I miss those rolls. Personally, I say to hell with the chicken and give me a gallon of that gravy.

Churchs has good chicken, yet they are gone from around here also.

Zaxbys is decent. For a good chicken sammy, I go to Slim Chickens, but that's an up and coming chain.

No reason to go home yet.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll take a warm, fresh dinner roll 100 times out of 99.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Swing by KFC after church, pick up four of those boxes and have a picnic at Freedom Park (Charlotte, NC). Those were the days, my friend...:licklips:

• Like Like x 1
  14. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, Sunday dinner after church back in the 70's

No reason to go home yet.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a Church’s here. Pieces definitely smaller. Church’s used to have a burger joint chain called GW Juniors- loved that place. I hated avocado-even though I never had it. They accidentally gave me one of their Avocado Burgers and I didn’t realize it until I took a bite. Have loved avocado ever since. Loved GWs.

We just got a Chicken Express- it’s better than Church’s. Not as greasy. Biscuits not as good as church’s. You can get rolls or biscuits.

16. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m spoiled when it comes to chicken sandwiches, when I’m up in the Newark, NJ area, I hit a Brazilian Churrasquaria for lunch. The pit is filled with lump coal, the rack constantly rotates back and forth and the chicken breast is done in about 12 minutes. Great bread too.

BDE08BA8-56CA-4BFA-ACF1-AE53BD352C29.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  17. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, after all, Popeye was a vegan.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to be a winner to get one of those.

19. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pre-Popeye's visit, my favorite fast-food chicken sandwiches are:

1. Shake Shack (Best though also pricy and a bit small for what you are paying, best quality).
    2. Chick Fill-A (OK Price, I use the buffalo sauce and tabasco sauce to get it done (use tabasco sauce on most anything)

I haven't had a Wendy's one in a while, that would be #3. I prefer chicken off the bone (wings or in general), so don't grab these sandwiches very often.

20. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't done fast food like KFC, Burger King etc. - for many years at least, never any Popeyes. No desire to try either.
    I'll will go to Burger Brasserie for a good burger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.