1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

RUMOR - MGM's Newest Cost Cutting Measure - Dirty Rooms!

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by mikel123, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. This is commentary on how society is evolving, not on how travel works. And I see silly things in first class and economy plus all the time.

I've flown in first class in a t-shirt and athletic shorts. No one did that in coach in 1970.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Paul K

Paul K VIP

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, there are terrible passangers in first too or in 5 star hotels. But, let's be real here, who is more likely to be loud, reckless, or dirty a place up, a guest of Circus Circus or a guest of Four Seasons? The higher price point of a 5 star hotel or a first class seat tends to weed out some weeds. You also don't find many people with therapy animals flying first simply due to cost.

3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I honestly think we have put the DND sign up every single trip M and I have gone to Vegas. We are rarely in a single hotel longer than 4 nights anyway. It's more often two or three. So it's a total non-issue for us. And the suggested policy change isn't that terrible, just opt-in people!

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's "interesting" to pontificate and hypothesize what might be around the corner. Where these things tend to go sideways is when folks "take sides" imo. Rumors will never go away and a good many of them will come to fruition to some degree. Perhaps if this is so bothersome to so many - create a separate category or ban it forever. Only you have the power. :nworthy:

I think ANY conversation that relates to Vegas is a good one, personally. :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    Higher price points don't make for who is or isn't likely to be loud, reckless or who might dirty a place up. I'm sure if you considered that a bit you might agree. Where did your viewpoint come from, may I ask?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If only you can press 5 to decline management for your stay, would be nice to reduce their compensation and positions.

These would result in far more substantial cost savings.There wouldn't be a need to charge service charge fees on your $18 watered down drink at a bar, resort fees up to 200-300% price of the room, and other "conveniences" with vast senior management eliminations, and the reduction of dry cleaning chemicals used on behalf of the self-serving suits would be incredible for the environment.

Green indeed.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. bbbruce

bbbruce Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also think a lot of times “rumors” are actually trial balloons to see how people react. If “they” see not much negative reaction, it’s a go.:soapbox:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. I follow VitalVegas on Twitter and enjoy his tweets. But I also dont throw myself out a window everytime there is a rumor of fees or changes to service. I watch and wait to see what happens. As his popularity grows, I see more of those rumors being reported here as fact. I'm fine discussing rumors here, but acting as if everything is terrible when nothing has changed yet can be frustrating and a little exhausting as a moderator. :)

Wait. I have power? This is big news. I hereby declare free Vegas Brownies for all VMBers!!! Please bring this post to your closest MGM Resorts property to redeem. :haha:

I am trying to label rumors as rumors here where I can, but it can be difficult when real life doesnt give me time to track down every new thing. And sometimes trying to verify info from Seattle can be hard. The answer you get depends on who answers the phone and may or may not be factual.

• Like Like x 4
  9. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's also worth bearing in mind that tons and tons of people come to Vegas for business rather than vacation. When I travel on leisure, I like having the room cleaned. But if I'm going somewhere for 2-3 days for meetings/conferences, I almost always completely decline housekeeping. It's not worth it to have someone messing around in my room when literally all I'm doing is sleeping in the bed.

We crap on the resorts all the time, but this might legitimately be a "customer demand" thing, as in, the customers are not demanding daily housekeeping.

10. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are those "special" brownies from Planet 13 ?
    Uh oh ,I smell another rumor starting.;)

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. whiskeyandslots

whiskeyandslots High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've stayed in hotels that give free cookies at check-in. Yummmmm, cookies. I wouldn't complain if the Vegas hotels started doing something like that. :feedme:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bbbruce

bbbruce Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did someone say free brownies at Planet 13???

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have too. Now you're making me want some cookies, lol

I Need Spa
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. lithium78

lithium78 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All this cost-cutting inspires me to do some cost-cutting of my own and I'll be going to the Poconos instead of an MGM Resort on my next vacation. MGM Executive: "Wait a second! People can do that?"

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't mind skipping a day of having the room serviced, as long as I am getting a $10 credit for it.
    I am usually trying to sleep during those hours anyway.

16. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are always wonderful @UKFanatic and so is @tee6395! Everyone on this thread is great, and tons of good points from all perspectives.

I am not the source to quote, I'm just a big Vegas degen who knows squat about lots of topics. :)

Whether morning people or night people, people who love room service or don't, we all want the same thing, great trips with the best value (and service) possible.

Lots of things either don't come to fruition, or are much less drastic when rolled out than expected. (Drink tickets.)

Conversely, some changes ARE really bad when rolled out. (Parking fees for guests, crazy resort fees, etc.)

All in all, we're on the same team and want the same thing, we just have different pecking orders for what we value most. But thats the beauty of Vegas, our likes/must-haves are unique, and that's what makes it so fun.

VMB solidarity baby!

ZomboMeme 11092019225855.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't accept free brownies from ANYONE, it could be habit forming.

Tom Hanks was also in this episode trying to convenience Jim to take drugs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  18. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the treats of travel to me is having a fresh towel every day. When it's just me, I can go 2-3 days without the room being cleaned, but when it's the wife and me, I have it cleaned every day.

19. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Business travel is quite high outside of Vegas as well in lots of locations (e.g. the Chicago Loop), and you don't see any of those hotels eliminating housekeeping. People who submit expense reports don't want to have to submit receipts with extra fees.

There's a reason hotel companies offered points/a small F&B credit first - those were benefits that business travelers could accrue for themselves. Telling a guy on the road 40 nights a year that he can get 10k extra marriott points for himself by skipping house cleaning 20 times or he can get a $10 F&B credit at the bar 20 times was a win for the business traveler and a win for the hotel (keep in mind, some people can't expense alcohol/have per diem limits on F&B spend.)

I get that Vegas is a little different in that hotel loyalty points work differently, but the F&B credit logic applies.

• Love Love x 1
  20. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure, but if that's what you want, you can always fly in the front of the plane for cheaper than coach used to be on most routes. And it also depends upon the route and seats - Allegiant is full of people flying for as little as possible. A united/Delta/American flight at 7 am on a Monday or at 4 pm on a Friday is going to be 95% business travelers in the first 10 rows of the plane who generally are dressed nice.

I know a fair amount of people who only fly first class because of how the price point has come down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.