1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

RUMOR - MGM's Newest Cost Cutting Measure - Dirty Rooms!

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by mikel123, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just stayed at MGM. Normally a Cosmo/Aria gal, but it was a good trip, just probably not my go-to as long as I get Aria/Cosmo rooms.

BUT, one thing I LOVED at MGM, that I havent experienced elsewhere (or didn't ask correctly), was they were totally OK providing room service upon request after 5:00 pm! I'm a terrible nightgowl in Vegas, and this was a HUGE plus.

Also, they respected the DND on the door (which could be because of the "no ask, no clean" policy!)

I think room cleaning upon request COULD be a huge cost-savings roll-out, as long as they make sure guests are informed. And if they offer after 5:00 pm cleaning, like they did for us, no charge? I'd absolutely prefer this to automatic cleaning during core hours!

Cool/informative post though! I just wanted to chime in about MGM being totally OK with after five cleaning. Others probably have experienced this, but it was a first for us, and we loved it!

• Like Like x 4
  3. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They'll probably have to increase the resort fee for providing the new 'Green' pause your housekeeping option as a standard amenity.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Paul K

Paul K VIP

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not surprised in the slightest.

• Love Love x 1
  5. 18000rpm

18000rpm Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I stayed at the Westgate a year or two ago you have the option to "go green" and not have the room cleaned, and you get a $10 food voucher in return. Great for me since I'm always asleep when they try to clean my room as I like to play poker to the wee hours.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They did just raise the resort fees at a couple of the properties in the last few months.

• Love Love x 1
  7. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I personally don't care, as I decline it most of the time. But still don't like to see it, as my guess would be that the step after this will be to charge extra for anyone who specifically requests it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
  8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's another 5 bucks I save.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good, bad or otherwise, this is a standard way of business for hoteliers these days.. Can't just hang MGM though I know that's a trendy thing right now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't stay at MGM properties, but would welcome the dollar return for skipping housekeeping. Most properties have had the towel option for a while and others housekeeping options similar to this. Personally, I keep my room pretty straight all the time, so every other day would be fine with me.

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As Ken stated above, other hotel chains outside of Vegas have been doing this for a few years now, with the "benefit" being "going green", or in drought cities - "water savings"

I also see a lot of posters on this board stating that they do not want to be disturbed, or do not want daily room cleaning, so is this more bitching just to be bitching??

This is not a unique strategy that MGM suddenly invented on their own

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. bbbruce

bbbruce Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I must stay in different hotel chains than most of you. I have never stayed anywhere that daily housekeeping wasn't done. I will not stay in a place where I have to pay extra to get clean towels and the bed made.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  13. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I'm not sure where some of these other people have been staying. I always get the option to 'opt out' of housekeeping for an incentive, but I've never stayed at a purportedly 3.5 to 5 star hotel that did not provide it daily by default. There is no incentive at MGM and you are still paying the daily resort fee. As @JosieCat said, the next step will be charging guests extra for daily housekeeping. The only ones I'm aware that have been doing this are limited service/extended stay hotels.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  14. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome.... I can finally block out the windows with beer cans like I've always dreamed of. Haha can you imagine how some of these rooms will look after 4-5 days without people cleaning them?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm curious, do all the bitchers and whiners clean and vacuum their bedroom and bathroom every day? (I only personally know one person who can say "yes" and she has issues) I sure as heck don't. Most hotel days I don't feel like hiding all my belongings so that the room is such a state to facilitate cleaning and I don't like random strangers handling most of my stuff so if the room is going to be cleaned I prefer to put it away. Most of the time we only have the room cleaned every few days and on short stays sometimes not at all. We are generally tidy people so not having a maid every day is no problem. This goes triple if we are traveling with the dog because even though he is secure in his kennel, I'd prefer to know the room itself stays secure with him safely inside any time we are out of it.

My only concern with this change is that we often do need clean towels and I wouldn't want to loose the ability to just walk out in the hall and get a set from a maid for a couple dollar tip.

Nobody has to imagine. About half the rooms in any given hotel have already looked like that at any given time because people using DND and not having rooms cleaned has been going on for like ever. Like I said, going a few days without a vacuum and some Lysol is no big deal.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I hate it for housekeeping when it goes from about half to most. Big check out days are going to be brutal for them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm the same as that, I normally don't leave the room until the afternoon if I'm not playing a poker tournament, and don't go to bed until the early hours almost every night.

I just call down to housekeeping before I head out, ask for the room to be serviced, and tell them I've left $5 by the phone for the maid.

My DND is on the door from the minute I get in, until the minute I leave, and have only had the 'welfare check' @ Wynn & Palazzo.

18. NotSinatrasHand

NotSinatrasHand Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're so informative!!! Thank you :)

19. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With all due respect to VV and the OP...I would want to wait until I see it actually be announced. I can see lots of the fees and decisions, but running the Mirage like an Extended Stay America seems insane to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The standard is that they give you a tiny credit for waiving housekeeping (ala Caesar's make a green choice program), none of the big US chains are making you pay to have your room cleaned. Certainly not at a hotel on par with Park MGM/MGM Grand/Bellagio/Mirage/Mandalay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.