1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Real ID

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasGroove, Aug 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Recently, there have been news reports about recall issues and rollout problems with Real ID in certain states. I made the switch to a Real ID last month and hope there isn’t a hang-up at MDW next week.

Have you made the switch yet?

Do you plan to switch this year?

Will you wait until next year before the October 2020 deadline?

• Like Like x 1
  2. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got a passport, problem solved!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1)California has (hopefully) fixed their issues. I sent a second piece of ID to them last month and haven't heard back.
    2)I have a passport

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got the Gold Star, Real ID here in Nevada in 2018. Took my social security card and birth-certificate out of the safe and combined it with a couple of utility bills that showed my name and physical address, went down to the DMV and took care of it. Easy, peezy! The only drawback was I had to take a new, updated picture and couldn't renew my 20-year old one, as I'd been doing!

This isn't a BIG deal people... but many of you are gonna make it one and do your best "not to conform with the man." I got bigger hills to die on.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No RealID here. I'll likely wait as long as possible. MN DMV talked my wife out of getting one last month, likely due to the licensing system here that needs major fixing (again).

6. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will get it when mine comes up for renewal next spring.

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please share what sort of issues or happening at MDW???

8. Pbtrav

Pbtrav Mid level gambler.....high level drinker!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I switched a while back in a Florida ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My DL expires 10/2020 and they want me to update my 16 year old photo anyway, so at some point between now and then I'll be switching to Real ID. I'm not in any rush at this point.

10. Laugh

Laugh VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got mine back around April (I'm in California). It wasn't too bad, I made an appointment at the DMV, got a few papers together to prove I live at my address, and my social security card and birth certificate. Took about 20 minutes. One of my documents for residency wasn't going to fly with them for some reason but she said it was okay and that the state would send me a letter in the mail and I would just sign it and send it off, which I did. They send a letter to my address which I had to check off a box that said I lived there, signed it, and send it back. Altogether it was fairly painless.

11. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Illinois drivers license expires next spring too, so I'll just wait for the renewal notice to arrive. In the interim, I already have a passport, so I'm good to go at any time.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've not given it any thought. I'll renew whenever my DL is next up. I have a passport and in my wallet I have a passport card. So no worries.

• Like Like x 1
  13. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, got it with my last drivers license renewal.
    Don't leave home without it! :cool:

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Supposedly our state went to Real Id a while back and I don't think anyone noticed.

I know that I was never asked for anything more proving who I am. The only difference I noticed is that before, when you renewed, they printed out your new license on the spot. Now they give you a temporary (paper) renewed license and your actual one arrives in snailmail a few weeks later.

As I was thinking back, when I first got my current state's DL, all I remember presenting was my old soon-to-be-expired NYS license. No BS, no PP, no SS card. I'm sure I had to fill out forms, but that was that.

I then thought back to when I got my original NYS license. I don't remember any formality for an 18yo HS student who had just completed a state-certified driver training course. I don't remember giving any ID at all, just fill out forms and such. I may have forgotten, but I don't think the licenses had photos on them back then.

15. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got mine about a year and a half ago with no issues, other than it took almost an hour which here in NH is unheard of! It took my son from waiting in line an hour before opening until closing in San Francisco, so I know I shouldn't complain about an hour :oops:

I also have a passport card which I travel with in a second wallet with a credit card and some cash, just in case!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  16. Brando95

Brando95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll get mine when it's time to renew in December 2020, unless I can do it online before then. I'll just travel domestically with my passport until then.

9th Island stopover on the way to Hawaii
  17. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oregon is not even issuing them until next year so I opted for a passport card. I kind of liked the idea of having 2 pieces of identification and keeping them separate when I travel anyway. I kind of wondered why a regular driver's license with KTN wouldn't count as a second piece of valid ID. They can pull up your picture with the KTN and you supply all the same stuff you do for a passport.

18. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

The same for me as for renewal. We can renew for 8 years in Florida. They did take another photo for the update. I guess the one that hung on the Post Office was wasn't good enough.

• Funny Funny x 5
  19. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi nostress, there are no issues currently. I just said I hope isn't a hang-up. I am bringing my passport with, just in case.

20. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really nothing different, so no need for passport.

The old and the new DL are both just fine for airline travel. Nothing has changed. Lots of states have had real id for years. Some states are just now coming online.

The date that they MIGHT require a REAL ID or Passport is October of next year.

So, there is no reason you need to take your passport to MDW next week. Nothing has changed. I did find that some people in Maryland did not complete all their paperwork and some of the DL there are being recalled.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.