1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do you bring your camera? Hobbyists or not.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by fenway68, Aug 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, one like mine, of course! :)

2. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you have the GoPro on a gimbal (stabilizer) ? Makes all the difference for walking video footage. They make them for iPhones too.

Which canon did you have. I have the s95 Point and Shoot. Got it before I decided to go back to the larger format. Now it sits in a drawer. I should pull it out. It’s a great little camera with lots of creative features.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a super-light traveler and my IPhoneX does the trick for me if something catches my eye.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know y'all can't see it but the wallpaper on my MacBook is one of those Yosemite shots I posted a few weeks ago. It was shot with an iPhone 8 and it has stunning resolution across a 13.5" diagonal medium. This might be one of those persimmon-is-better things that some golfers desperately clung to when stainless and then titanium took over the driver market. With the number of pros proving up the feasibility of the platform in high-res glossy publication, I think 99.5% are just fine with the smartphone. Anyway, the BEST photo reproduction comes from the camera you have on hand, not the technically "superior" one that might be back at the office.

5. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the base level Canon DSLR from 2010. We used to take it everywhere, but as phone cameras got better we just stopped using it. Now he just use the DSLR at family gatherings, but really, it's so old that our phones are probably just as good.

I last took the DSLR to Vegas in 2012. I didn't get to Vegas again until 2015 and I assumed my wife was going to bring it when she joined me a few days later, but she assumed I already brought it. At that point we realized we don't really need it anymore. I used to have an Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom and the camera on that thing was amazing! I earlier this year upgraded to an Asus Zenfone 5z and while the camera is great it still isn't as good as the Zenfone 3 Zoom's camera (neither is the battery life.. but it's still better than most Samsung phones).

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kind of a corollary to Weegee's secret for good news photos. "F/16 and be there!" :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not F/8????

This makes sense given your (I assume avocational) interest in photography because of the array of the things you can go pre-/post-production. Now smartphone and small cameras have jumped far ahead, and the proof of that is in cover and other photos across the printed landscape, but like a surgeon or a chef, you want your best knives, so to say. But for turistas and even somewhat avid hobbyists, it's no longer a requirement.

8. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Canon G9x. I wasn't using the GoPro for walking video footage. GoPro was stationary. Probably the GoPro was defective, so I returned it. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread makes me want to rekindle my interest in buying another camera. My other is about 4 or 5 years old and the only thing wrong with it is the little door that holds the battery has to be taped shut. But the fact that my employer gave me a 100 dollar Amazon gift card also helps.

10. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this is pretty good quality for an iPhone picture

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And from my Sony A6000 shot in RAW and unprocessed
    FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a common issue. You can often get replacement covers, even for cameras that are 10 years old. I got one for an old Kodak digital a few years back.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Sam610

Sam610 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been there done that with the DSLR kit to various locations, but in LV I'm more about keeping it casual and capturing a moment - I don't need/want to print these pics on a massive wall mounted canvas, so the resolution is not as much of an issue as the memories are. A 'good snap' on my iPhone or Canon Powershot capture what I want and often turn out very well, so I am happy with that. The whole raw v jpeg doesn't interest me when my priority is enjoying the time I am having as opposed to spending hours dicking about in photoshop after the vacation, but that's just me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure I would go that route. Besides I like getting new stuff...:D But thanks for that

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, what kind of pro doesn't have some duct tape on at least one camera body?!?

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep that duct tape holds well...

18. PSM

PSM High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I ever made it out there on a solo trip, I would definitely bring it, as I could take my time, frame some shots, and have a fun and relaxing time with it. But when I'm with my wife - particularly on a shorter trip - it just doesn't make sense to lug that thing around, as we never know exactly what we're going to be doing or where we'll end up. Not to mention, she would get pretty frustrated at me wanting to stop every 30-60 seconds to try to get a photo (that probably won't turn out as well as it looked in my head anyways...).

• Like Like x 1
  19. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG this is so me, and exactly why I started this thread!

• Like Like x 1
  20. trebis

trebis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been one time in Vegas. Last year. It was at the end of my roundtrip. Because of that, I had my DSLR with me. On the first evening I left the camera at the hotel. And I got really mad about it, because I saw one great scene after another. On the next day, late afternoon, I strolled with the camera along the strip. And all the great scenes, ready for a picture? Not there. In addition: Time pressure. I had to catch a comped night flight with Maverick. Bad conditions for taking photos. Left Vegas the next day.
    But:
    I will be in Vegas again in a few weeks. Again at the end of my roundtrip. Again with my camera. 5 full days. And I plan to make thousands of pictures... Vegas is meant to photograph it.
    :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.