1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

UBER wait fee

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Glenn357M, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just an FYI. For some reason or another I stumbled upon my uber receipt for the ride to my house from Mccarren. They charged me a 43 cent wait fee. Not really a big deal but I didn't make my ride wait almost 2 minutes. I think the fee is 28 cents a minute. I could see on my ap that my ride pulled in but I couldn't see which spot they were in. So I send a message are you here. A few seconds later they send me their location c 11. We were at the car 20 seconds later. I sent them an email and they reversed it. I wonder how many times I was charged a wait fee in the past and not noticed. Any Way ... lame.

2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got charged a wait fee because I couldn't understand my uber driver on the phone. My cell reception was shit in the McCarran ride sharing area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vegas28m

Vegas28m Medium Roller, Chicago

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They always charge me a fee for something. Even a wait fee at airport even when I called them at the pick up point. I always contact them and they always reverse it. Why though?

4. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They know that most people won't say anything...

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  5. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have had little problem with Uber EXCEPT at the airport. Very stressful. I never seem to know when they arrive. Last trip I found the guy leaning against the side of his car listening to a his blairing radio. Nevada does not require plates on the front, so it makes it difficult especially at night to find your ride.I asked him why he didn't text me his location. He claims he called me, but later I had time to check and there was no call made. It should be as easy as SEND THE RIDER A TEXT AS SOON AS YOU PULL INTO THE ASSIGNED STALL TELLING THEM THE LETTER AND NUMBER YOU ARE IN. Why is that so hard to do? I'm told that some do. Why not make it a mandatory part of the airport procedure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe time to give Lyft a shot on our next trip.

7. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lyft has been charging wait time fees from the moment the driver arrives, they been doing that way longer that Uber has been doing it.

8. bigalbr

bigalbr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At some point, Uber and Lyft have to make a profit. We're spoiled by the startup mentality they have had to this point. Taxis in most of the country aren't a great business. Why do we think that making hailing a taxi an app function provides enough cost savings that you can ride for a much cheaper fare?

9. Laugh

Laugh VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol. I got like a $4 charge one time because my Uber driver didn't know how to get to the North Valet at Aria. It was really annoying. It took them around 20 minutes to get to me. Meanwhile, everyone else is coming and going.
    I hit up Uber and complained (which isn't common for me to do) because it's not my fault the Uber driver didn't know where to go. They should take it out of the driver's commision and give a discount to the passenger.
    I ended up getting a full refund.
    But yeah, wait fees for being late beings the whole "time is money" idea. Not to mention There's so many drivers that unless you're in the boonies a driver will get to you asap.

10. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas airport you are told to wait in the waiting area. Had to be about 50 people there. I could see that they pulled up by watching the ap but couldn't tell where they were standing in the wait area. You can message the driver right from the ap. which is also under the map you can watch as the driver gets to you.

11. M1goblu

M1goblu Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love uber and use it all over ..but McCarron is a cluster¥%# .. last week I just jumped in a cab... so much less stress and only a couple $ more

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did not say that because of wait time. I meant because the airport pick-up can frequently be confusing with Uber, at least for me. I would like to see if Lyft drivers are any clearer on when and where they arrive at airport to get you.
    Sorry, I should have referred back to my posting above the post you just quoted.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The real issue with Uber these days is that they can't (and really shouldn't) be trying to compete on price. In many places, their major benefit isn't that they're cheaper, but that you can actually get a car that will pick you up and take you where you need. In the Vegas area, for example, it was almost impossible to get car service outside the resort corridor. Same for NYC outside of Manhattan. Being able to use an app to request a car and actually have it come is a huge thing in many places.

Uber drivers get insanely confused by Aria. The big problem is that unlike in places like NYC, they're not professional drivers and are slavishly dependent on the GPS. It's not hard to know that pickups at Aria are at the North Valet. A friend of mine once ordered an Uber for Aria, the driver insisted that she should meet him at the main pickup, refused to go to the North Valet, and then tried to charge her a fee when he got turned away.

My favorite was the time I called for an Uber at an office park area, and the driver went to the complex on the other side of a divided, busy street. I texted that I could see her and needed her to come around (there was no way I could safely cross the street); she proceeded to cancel the trip and mark me as a no-show. Again, that fee got tossed. Second prize goes to the guy who, upon being told by me that the Strip was closed overnight due to construction and so he needed to take the back roads, responded, "Excuse me, I've been driving an Uber in Las Vegas for three months and you just got off a plane." Took me an hour to get from McCarran to the Strip. It was a flat fare anyway, so his loss.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. DanTheMagicMan

DanTheMagicMan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They don’t even have to necessarily text you. It’s all integrated within the Uber app. They just type what spot they are in when they pull in. At McCarran.

10TH TRIP TO VEGAS!
  15. Mr. Brownestone

Mr. Brownestone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always use Lyft, but as far as the driver is concerned I don't think it makes a difference as they rarely, if ever, show up without both Uber and Lyft decals in the window. I don't take them from the airport to avoid that cluster that is the McCarron rideshare waiting area.

When using them to get around the Strip I have had exactly one issue where a driver took way, WAY to long to get to me and I cancelled the ride. The $5 fee was waived with one email.

16. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just about every Uber driver in Las Vegas drives for Lyft too. Drivers have both apps running at the same time and accept the first ride request that comes in.

Drivers stage at the same lot across Tropicana with both apps on. When a Lyft request goes to a driver the driver accepts it and turns off their Uber app to go do the Lyft ride.

There’s probably about a 95% chance that your Lyft driver is also an Uber driver.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  17. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 2 worst places for Uber/Lyft for me have been Caesar's Palace and Paris.
    I eventually ended up getting refunded for both.

I saw so many other people also having problems at those 2 locations.
    Reception sucks at Caesar's.
    The side entrance pickup for Paris kept marking my location as Bally's.

Didn't have a problem here but...The Uber/Lyft area at Harrah's is the sketchiest looking dropoff ever!
    Worst 1st impression ever.

18. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You ought to see the PUDO area at the SLS, at least Harrah’s is well lit, SLS isn’t.

Also the Stratosphere , the PUDO area isn’t too bad but immediate “hood” they pull out of the Stratosphere into is by far the sketchiest ever.

19. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our worst experience with Uber was pick-up at Park MGM, we waited almost 20 minutes because the driver could not figure out the gps and kept turning too soon and kept circling but never quite got to us. Our friend was following him on screen and texting back and forth with the driver and finally said he was going to cancel, miraculously he finally pulled in. Don’t think we got a wait fee, perhaps we should have charged the driver one though. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Uber wait fee timer doesn’t kick in until 2 minutes after the driver arrives at the pick up location, in most cases.

There are a couple of places where that’s not the case though. One is at the airport where the timer actually starts as soon as the car enters the parking garage.

So as the driver is coming around looking for a spot to pull in the timer is already running. This may explain why some get charged a wait fee even if you were in the car less than 2 minutes after it pulled into its spot.

Also the wait fee timer continues to run until the driver swipes start trip. If there is luggage being loaded and any other delay before the driver swipes the start trip the wait fee charges run up.

Another area is at Aria, Cosmo and Vdara. Those three places are so close to each other that the timer will start at any of those locations if the request is to pick up at them.

I see it happen all the time, have a drop off at Aria, Cosmo or Vdara and a pick up at Aria. By the time the driver swings around, from any of the other three drop off areas. to the Aria pick up location the timer has just about hit the two minute mark where the wait fees charges kick in. Also happens when there’s a drop off at Cosmo and the next pick up is at Aria or Vdara.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.