1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do you bring your camera? Hobbyists or not.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by fenway68, Aug 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the advent of decent if not more than decent in phone cameras, do any of our “regulars” who are also photography hobbyists (or not!) , bring their camera gear on their LV ventures?

After close to 25 trips and many being short 4 nite trips, I have not brought my camera and lenses etc. except one year I brought a point and shoot pre iPhone days. One day I think I would like to, and wish I had in past to better document the Vegas I saw back in 1996- now.

Planned fall trip I may not. But may be heading next spring for a week and then I may.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least one Real Camera (tm) all the time. Often at least two, with one being film.

In my not so humble opinion, taking a serious photo with a phone is about as practical as making a phone call using a Pentax Spotmatic! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Marilynfan

Marilynfan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've actually been pretty shocked at how good some of my iphone photos turn out. However, I do usually have a real camera with me. It is a small compact zoom camera that can fit in my purse - great for travel and has built in wifi so I can upload photos right away. I've contemplated bringing my DSLR but it is just too big to bother with. I only use it to take photos of birds in my backyard LOL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a high-end DSLR and good glass, and I've gotten lazy. I mostly lean on the iPhone now. I'm a professional writer not a professional photographer, but I've also had plenty of iPhone images published over the years. And I've seen some amazing iPhone shots displayed in artsy-fartsy museums. Do-all, catch-all? Of course not. But not a blanket non-starter by any stretch. I will take the DSLR out on the road when I head out at the end of the month.

Did that Pentax have a phone function, dmr?

• Like Like x 1
  5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Years ago, pre iphone I had a small point/shoot. Many of those pictures still sit on a hard drive. Why I keep them is beyond me. At least I did not spend money getting any of them printed to sit in the closet.

As to taking good pictures with an Iphone - I have to disagree. You can get some pretty darn good pics with the phone. Unless of course you are looking to do some high end professional photos for some specific reason.

6. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't owned a camera or taken a picture of anything since I moved out of my home at 18. My father was a photography hobbiest and tried to push it on me. I only started taking pictures because my phone has the capability. Own a camera? Never.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of the newer p&s meet what we geekoids call the "quality threshold", meaning that any so called improvement in hardware will result in negligible improvement in quality of the photo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a really nice DSLR. It has come to Vegas with me, but not much lately. I guess it depends on the kind of trip I'm taking and what I intend to shoot. My phone works fine for most snapshot type photos. If I'm going to be doing a lot of scenery, I prefer the DSLR. But I'm not likely to carry it around with me on The Strip, partially for the weight, and mostly because I fear losing it or having it stolen somewhere if I set it down.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a real camera but I brought my GoPro last trip and did a walk from Mirage down to PH over to Cosmo and up to Bellagio Fountains. It didn't turn out the greatest because we were walking directly into the sun and a lot of it was too bright. Some of the footage was decent. I got a decent walk through The Bellagio and some room walkthrough.

I will probably bring it again in a couple of weeks and try it again.

10. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you have a gimbal (stablizer) for your go pro? I was thinking of getting one for my mirroless camera or one for my iPhone. It makes shooting walking videos so much better.

11. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was considering bringing my Sony Mirroless with one prime lens just to have fun with it. See if I can get some creative street photography shots. But I have the same concerns As Sonya.

12. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always bring my point and shoot camera( dont own a cellphone)

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  13. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Photography has been one of my hobbies, since my high school days before the age of digital cameras. I had the Nikon F4s and N90s SLRs back in the days which I also used during my early Vegas trips. Although, I converted over to digital when it started becoming popular. I also got tired carrying around loads of heavy camera bodies, lens, and accessories, so I started using compact digitals (Sony, Pentax).

When the iPhone cameras started rivaling the quality of the standalone cameras, I started using my iPhone more and more, along with a GoPro for shooting some videos. More recently, I've gotten into 360/180 photography and use an Insta360 One X for shooting 360 and the Insta360 EVO for shooting 180VR. They don't replace a conventional camera, but complement them, since you can capture photos/videos that you can only get when shooting with a 360/180 camera. The cameras are also small and light, so they're easy to carry around, but you need to use them with a selfie-stick, since 360 cameras capture everything around you, as well as above and below. If you just hand hold them, your hand will end up being the focal point of your photos/videos. LOL Hopefully, I'll get some good 360 photos/videos during my October trip for my trip report.

14. kleland

kleland Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a sony a600 I will be bringing this trip to try and vlog our adventures, as well as a go pro I am letting my grandson use to video his adventures and his point of view of things. Also the go pro to use at the pool as there is no way I am bringing my vlog camera there. But normally it is just my cell phone.

15. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my early Vegas days (mid 80's) I always carried my Pentax SLR. I spent a couple of trips only seeing Vegas through a viewfinder!
    The bag weighed probably 15#'s with lenses, and other accessories. Got some great photos, but it was a pain to carry around.
    Digital came around and the camera became obsolete.
    I got a small Nikon digital, but never really liked it.
    Missed having the quality of SLR and couldn't justify the DSLR cost.
    Prices never seemed to come down.
    Nowadays 90% of my photos are taken with my cellphone.

Anniversary Trip
  16. Brando95

Brando95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually have mine in my backpack but have yet to take it out and do a photo walk with it. always mean to, but just never get around to it.

9th Island stopover on the way to Hawaii
  17. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't but would like one. I just used a clip and attached it to a sling bag strap. The up and down was a little a nauseating.

18. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I assume you meant a6000? That’s what I shoot too! Was going to bring w just one of my primes to see what I could capture. I know I will regret not bringing my whole kit and say “oh if I had that lens or oh if I only had my flash/tripod/ whatever” but would also regret carrying the pack or worry about loosing it!

I have the choice of two vintage Pentax primes 28 and 35 on adapters a 12mm manual or my Sigma 60mm fully auto.

Was thinking of going w one of the wide ones and “zooming with my feet” to get some street photog style shots. Will see?!

• Like Like x 1
  19. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like to take my "real" cameras because I like to shoot in RAW format. My cell phone will not do that. My cell phone shoots a 8MP picture. My "real" camera shoots 24MP pictures. That give me much more detail in the photo. For casual photos a cell phone is fine. But, for "real photography" I would like to have a real camera. The real camera is much bigger and heavier so there is a trade off. I am giving serious thought to a small P&S that shoots RAW format.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That right there. I have a few clients who only accept RAW. That's when I pack the Canon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.