1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cut of Week review

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by prodaddy, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prodaddy

prodaddy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Finally did the cut of the week at Charlie Palmer's - 4 seasons hotel.

-Seated on time.
    -bread basket- decent, not fantastic
    -white wine pairing- good red wine pairing- ok (both cheaper wines but decent)
    -caesar salad- poor. Don't know why so bad. Literally one of the most bland, uninspired salads I have ever had (think Denny's quality) . Weird.
    -Rib eye. called petite but comes in around 10 oz. fattier than usual but great char and flavour. Good steak.
    -cheese cake dessert was good.
    -Service was very good.

overall nice dining experience in a nice room- would avoid the salad....

• Like Like x 5
  2. vegas30326

vegas30326 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a good deal! Too bad the salad was awful. Why are some steakhouses incapable of making a decent salad? Seriously. I have to think that some places make Caesar salads with salad kits from the supermarket.

3. wam

wam Low-Roller

we dine at palmer every time we visit and always get the cut of the week menu and have never been disappointed. salads and wines have always been spot on and the price cannot be beat. excellent service and relaxed atmosphere.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lordbodom

lordbodom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are the steaks in this deal dry aged?

5. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    what about the sides. I love their sides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've wondered about this too. I **KNOW** some places use bagged Sysco romaine and bottled dressing, but those can be tasty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  7. wam

wam Low-Roller

sides are great, creamed spinach and once we had brussel sprouts with apples were superb. potatoes sometimes mashed garlic other times au gratin always consistent and always very good to excellent. never had bagged romaine.

• Like Like x 2
  8. julia

julia VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried cut of the week and the salad was FANTASTIC. I think it just depends on what they do for COTW. My salad had pear and spring greens. Delicious.

9. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I went for the COTW I thought the salad was very good, as were the sides. The actual steak was average at best. I also followed their suggestions for what I would consider rare. It was rare inside but had no char. The quality of the meat was average. The wine pairings were good and I got a second of the red wine. Desert was also very good. I would say, IMHO, it's a very good value, but not a great steak.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Nolablackjack

Nolablackjack Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about your so so experience. We went during the first weekend of march madness and had a great menu...strawberry and pear salad with blue cheese, filet, creamed spinach, mashed potatoes, cream brûlée and some fairly decent red and white wine. My buddy and I got our $$$$ worth...probably had 5 bottles between the 2 of us. They kept pouring and we didn't say no. Service was really good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. FYMYAWF

FYMYAWF VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you sure your handle shouldn't be Nolablackout?

Interested to hear other opinions of the steak quality at Palmer. It's one of the few high end steakhouses on strip I haven't been to and I have reservations for the September trip.

12. HoppinHardWays

HoppinHardWays VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Labor Day!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Nolablackjack

Nolablackjack Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes.. 5 bottles is a lot, but we were there for at least 3 hours. Gotta stay hydrated in the desert!!!

• Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As for the COTW, the quality and seasoning has been very good, but not a 10, IMO.

An entire meal with wine at $58 pp won’t compare to a steak at Delmonico’s or Prime, etc. so expectations should be set accordingly. However, the overall dining experience is very pleasant, very good service, the sides and dessert are very good. The salad is fine but not inspired.

If you’re hesitant about the cotw, there is also a full menu.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. LvBlitzforce

LvBlitzforce VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So they didnt say anything or make any faces about hanging around drinking for 3 hours?

I can put them back and was wondering how closely they monitored the wine but sounds like its a free for all lol! Was on the fence about checking out this deal but pretty sure we have to go now

16. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes. Not always. It will say if it is or not.

17. johnjagg

johnjagg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For many years they never told us anything about the wine. Within the last year, or year and a half we've had limits put on what we can do. At least five years ago they poured non-stop for my wife, her friend, and I. Even sometime in 2018 my wife went with her cousin and they were very generous.

The first time they told us they aren't allowed to serve any wine once the main has left the table. On another trip we were told "no white wine once the main is served." Then on our last trip they didn't really tell us anything and was able to get a half pour of white during dessert. While we think it's odd it doesn't bother us that much because we don't over do it anymore. Love Cut of the Week and try to do it every trip (guessing we've done it 20+ times).

No the steaks aren't Prime, but the value is very high as it's still a high quality piece of meat. I've ordered a Prime steak from the full menu once and it was very good. Probably second only to CUT for best steak I've had in Vegas.

18. FYMYAWF

FYMYAWF VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whelp I suppose I should throw my review out there since I came back last week. Went on a Monday night. Labor Day. Was in there around 6pm. A few tables, and me and one other guy at the bar. Dead for a holiday weekend. In it's defense the place is a little hard to find unless you're looking for it or you're staying at 4S, it's downstairs and opposite the 4S check in but, yeah.

Anyway, I did NOT have the COTW but instead had the filet and had it Oscar. Gotta say - I've had steak from a good portion of the top end steakhouse on the strip and this was not one of the front runners. The cut was a good size but it was under done and drowning in the overlaid crab juices. Not talking about the Bernaise (of which there was not enough) but the remainder of whatever juices the crab was cooked in. It was kinda gross and made the filet feel mushy. Would have sent the filet back for being under-cooked but figured with all that goo on it, it would have been troublesome. Ordered no sides. Had one glass of I think it was a Malbec and that was quite good. Service at the bar was good.

Paid using Mlife points (which they had to do by going somewhere else and running the transaction, their computer system at the POS registers can't handle Mlife - at a high end Mlife resort?) but tab would have been around $100. Just can't recommend the food this time, would try again but would skip doing anything Oscar.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.