1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Netflix or other Streaming Service- What 'Cha Watch'in?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mdee, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Think of it as a dramatization of how the most evil of us hide in plain sight.

2. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, a biography of me! OK, I'll give it another whack.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you had to rank your top shows which have aired within the last 3 years (meaning things like mad men, sopranos, the wire etc. excluded) how would they go?
    mine:
    the americans
    better call saul
    black mirror
    the tunnel
    dark
    shetland

4. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the problems I have with series availability is the gap between seasons. I'll watch two seasons back to back...and having to wait for the third season, I'll lose interest altogether. Is that some sort of Netflix ADD? I'd say over the past three years: Bad Blood, Gomorrah, Ozark, Stranger Things, Dark, Bordertown, Last Chance U, Fauda & Narcos.

Really there's been a ton of stuff, like Longmire, Trailer Park Boys, The Killing, Bloodline, Penny Dreadful, etc. I'd bet that the bulk of our entertainment watching comes from Netflix.

5. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good question. Getting 8, 10 or 13 episodes of a show, then being told you'll wait a year, or more, does tend to curb my enthusiasm. And they take their sweet time at Netflix rolling out new seasons, if at all necessary. What, 1.5 years for another 8 episodes of Stranger Things? It's why I'm digesting the 8 episodes in modest binging. I think I watched four episodes in the first five days the season became available, and then waited a few days, not entirely by design, before returning to it. Three to go at this point.

Best thing for me when it came to streaming a show. I wasn't on board with Breaking Bad early, so when the show wound up years ago, we started streaming it. It was winter, so we watched one a night, almost every single night, for two months. We missed one night, so we watched two episodes on the same night one weekend, and we watched the final 3-4 on the last Sunday night before it was all over. Essentially we watched the show nightly for 2 months. It was great. We digested each episode before watching the next, and were able to watch the final episodes weeks after we watched the first season, not years after.

But yeah, it drives me nuts having to recall an entire season of events in a show more than a year after I last watched it. Better Call Saul, I'll never lose my interest, but it irritates me when it takes more than a year to churn out episodes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never watched Game Of Thrones and then once I got into it, I watched the same way, one episode every night for quite a while until I had to wait out the final season. So there was a continuity to it for me. Did the same thing with Breaking Bad and The Wire.

The good thing is that you can go back and watch it over. It's amazing how much you miss the first time around.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Season 2 of MIndhunter is scheduled to come out August 16th. I can't wait.

• Love Love x 2
  8. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great post!

Last 3 years for me:
    Black Mirror
    Ozark
    I would put AHS but last three years were slipping for me, so probably Better Call Saul for third (not ranked in order)

But I am sure I'll change my mind later this week. Black Mirror definitely though. Also really enjoying NOS4A2 but too new to know if it can hold..

Addition: Crap, forgot about Westworld and Handmaid's Tale!

9. Crawfordesquire

Trips to Las Vegas:
    im going to tighten up my list and go the americans, better call saul, and the tunnel (i've only seen first 2 seasons thus far but thoroughly blown away).
    mrs. crawfordesquire enjoys the handmaid's tale, which i refer to just as 'praise be.'

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The further I get into Dead To Me, the better it gets.

Season 2 of Big Little Lies is excellent. Meryl Streep locked up the Emmy on this one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. drac999

drac999 Loving Life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Faves lately:
    Stranger Things (watched latest season, and now re-watching whole thing - forgot a lot)
    Broadchurch
    River
    Better call Saul
    Mindhunter

Happy Birthday to Me!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Crawfordesquire

Trips to Las Vegas:
    haven't heard of River, going to look it up.
    broadchurch- loved the first season, i think it fell off a bit with the latter two seasons.

13. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoyed Stranger Things Season 3. Best season yet!
    If they ever have plans to do a Stranger Things movie
    they better hurry before those kids are all grow up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. drac999

drac999 Loving Life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the British series'. The acting and unconventional plot in "River" is phenomenal. I've watched it 4 times:thumbsup:

Happy Birthday to Me!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Crawfordesquire

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nice. the wife and i limit ourselves to two concurrent shows. we've been finishing season 3 of the tunnel and just finished season 1 of line of duty. line of duty-id give it a b+, seems like a british version of the shield, which is a good thing. the tunnel is great, not sure if i like the 3rd season as much as the first 2.

16. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought it was a brilliant idea for the season 3 story, but I find the ridiculousness of the writing too hard to swallow. Yeah, you have to suspend disbelief for sci-fi, but I feel like the show asks me to suspend common sense. The newspaper office scenes were the most hilarious for me, as I'm a newspaper reporter, and I found the complete lack of news judgment to be laughable. Entertaining show, but it has gotten worse, not better, for me over three seasons.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. WDMJB

WDMJB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After Life with Ricky Gervais

• Like Like x 2
  18. floridavegas

floridavegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dead to me - is really good - binged out on this one
    Jessica Jones - current and trying to only watch 1 episode a night!

19. Kinshasa18

Kinshasa18 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have eclectic tastes.These are some of my faves:

Schitt's Creek - Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara
    BBC - W1A (Hugh Bonneville), Dr. Foster, Last Tango in Halifax (Sir Derek Jacobi)
    Norsemen
    Calll My Agent!
    Kim's Convenience
    Brown Nation
    Charite at War
    Maniac (Swedish version)
    Huge in France

20. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wrapped up season three of Stranger Things (and word around the campfire is that there is indeed a Season Four in the works). Didn't like this as much as the first two seasons because it felt like this was morphing into Freaks & Geeks 2.0/Stand By Me. But, given that kids have a tendency to grow up...

Y'all remember Cambridge Analytica? Netflix has a fascinating documentary, The Great Hack that delves into how our online data can be used, not so much for information's sake but more along the lines of actual influence. There's a line in there that 'data has surpassed oil as being the most valuable commodity on earth'. If you find the wonderful world of IT/AI and social engineering as entertaining as I do, you'll want to eyeball this.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jul/23/the-great-hack-review-cambridge-analytica-facebook-carole-cadwalladr-arron-banks

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.