1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Instead of a fuss-fest....what are some positive things Vegas does for you?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Multifarious5, Jul 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We all know Vegas' warts.... Resort fees, parking fees, surge pricing, etc.

Despite this, we all keep coming back (for now) , which means Vegas offers us something unique and rejuvinating/fun/freeing etc. What positive does a Vegas do for YOU?

For me? I'm lucky to be in a great job with great people, but I'm a stressball, and sometimes feel the draw of a lower-stress "job" versus career.

Then I go to Vegas. I live like a queen. Great rooms. Decadent spend on slots. Amazing food.

I realize I might be in a high-stress job, but I realize my high-stress job lets me Vegas like I do. (And I'm still fairly frugal compared to some, $25 a plate is my max on food!) I definitely want to retire sooner rather than later, but my magical Vegas' experiences put a little gas in my tank.

What about you? What freedom/luxury/magic does Vegas still give you? It could be amazing food, great live music, no schedule, whatever. What is Vegas' lure that still has you hooked?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  2. MikeSplitAces

MikeSplitAces Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas... I have enjoyed so many elements of “Fabulous Las Vegas”... here are some off the top of my head...

1) back in 1993 or so, collegiate bowling tournament!... bowled my first 700 series!
    2) blackjack ... lots of blackjack ... lots of winning... much more losing... bad play on my part and just lots of blackjack fun
    3) cirque - favorite is Ka, but also love “O” and MJ...

I want to go on and talk about the best food both steaks and scallops, but I need to pause ... I am literally getting too excited about my next trip .., staying at Wynn for 3 nights and plan to pool and golf and eat and blackjack (of course!!)

Thanks for letting me vent!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having someone else do the cleaning. It's worth 5 bucks to me.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 2
  4. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love how much there is to do in Vegas. It's one place where I can go 5-6 times this year and still have a giant list of things I want to do but haven't got around to yet. Also great people watching, top name entertainment and food options, and let's not forget the relatively lax set of laws. Plus free drinks, free rooms, and gambling. Sign me up!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ~ The palm trees and desert flora have me hooked! You just aren't going to find that back East!

~ The freedom I have on the solo parts of my trips. I get to do whatever I want in Vegas, no schedule. My friends and family are cool with me going there solo as there are cameras everywhere and what I do is quite safe. As I get older, I realize that I have lived with other people my whole entire life, and I am almost never alone or without responsibility. In Vegas I get a little of that free from everything lifestyle. Love it, and NEED it.

~ It's a judgement free zone when it comes to outfits, for the most part. If I wear heels at work I get a dozen questions as to why I'm wearing heels, do they hurt, etc. In Vegas no one cares! Wear what you want, when you want to.

~ Love the bright lights and neon. I could find this in other cities, but not as dense, just not quite the same.

~ I love not being cold at 2 am! Love the heat!

Note the lack of gambling mentioned. I love that too, but I can do that at home now.

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
    • Like Like x 5
  6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since resort and parking fees, surge pricing, are part and parcel of travel and the regular world, anyway, they add ZERO angst to our Vegas getaways.

We like Vegas because it is fun. We can gamble a bit, eat well, play golf, check out the sights and the price of admission, whether downandouttown or the egregious Strip, is low compared to any place else with flush toilets and central air.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that ganja is legal, I can almost fall on the floor and belly laugh at just getting an Uber to a dispensary, I'm set up. Totally paranoia free.

Gambling buzzed is super intense. Everything is so dramatic!

Gosh darn! I can't get over MikeyO's TR Chicken Parm!!! Imagine attacking that when you have the munchies.

There is no limit (except fatigue) to having a blast!

Edit: I am sooo lucky to be able to do this!

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  8. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas is my excuse to revisit my love of cigarette smoking... it's also the only time I feel comfortable drinking with abandon, knowing there's no driving in my immediate future!
    It's where, even at my age, I'm perfectly accepted among other gamblers half as old...or even younger! ...and that atmosphere of 'youth' seems to be a bit contagious, as I always seem to feel younger than I actually am while I'm out there.
    The thrill of gambling has never gotten "old" for me... I still love it nearly as much as did on my first trip 40 years ago.
    Then, there's the sort-of bizarre feeling associated with having "free" drinks delivered to you by the CW...and eating comped meals....it's like a "reward" for being willing to be a degenerate!
    There's the "escape" factor - escaping household responsibilities...escaping "work" pressures.... escaping the "well-behaved" reputation every married guy has to maintain anywhere else he is.
    In short, it's very much like stepping through a portal into another dimensional world, where most of the "regular" rules no longer seem to apply!
    :beer:

Annual Spring Trip!
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  9. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Adultland. All you gotta do is show up.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love the fuss-fest wording. Mind if I use it some locally?

• Like Like x 2
  11. fugsworth

fugsworth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas is my chance to indulge in a bit of luxury. I'm a very practical person most of the time. I work in accounting, drive a Civic, only buy new clothes when I need them-- that sort of thing. But now and then, a guy just needs to post up at the Wynn and guzzle Veuve Clicquot by the pool all day, y'know?

EDC
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  12. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My 100% main fun thing to do is to drink beer while walking around outside.

Thats why i go to vegas. Its one of the few places you can do it.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Sdebruyne

Sdebruyne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s the only vacation spot I go, where I can spend almost nothing and have a great time. I’m a low roller that still gets some comps. Love my relaxing pool time. And I have the chance to come home with all or some of my bankroll (then stash it away for the next trip). I usually come home completely relaxed and not need a vacation from my vacation.

• Like Like x 3
  14. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in rural/suburbia. I sleep at odd hours. I love LV because it has the high energy I don't have at home...24 hours a day. No matter when I'm up the place is going and it's interesting to just be walking around...even at 3am.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. I wouldn't say my day to day life is "high stress" but I don't always manage the stresses there are very well. It's a lot of responsibility and moving parts.

None of that comes to Vegas with me. Even my health issues, while I guess they do come along, are not the focus of my day.

I stretch out on that King bed I have all to myself and sleep in. Or wake up and lay around watching idiot TV and being lazy.

I meet old friends, and new, for drinks. I eat amazing food. I get my gamble on. I walk around and watch other people and wonder who they are and what they do. Sometimes I ask them. :)

I laugh loudly. I have a little too much to drink, often. I try to always learn something or try something I've never tried before. I make sure I do some of the old favorites too.

It is "me time" in every sense.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 5
  16. bull1029

bull1029 Mr. Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two things for me:

1. Vegas allows me to get out of my own head. No family or work stuff cluttering it; just when is the next drink and/or VP win coming?
    2. You can walk down the street at 10 a.m. with a drink in your hand and nobody thinks you have a "problem." LV is a judgement-free place, cuz there is always another character around the corner who is doing something worse than you. (Oops, I said no judgement).

• Like Like x 9
  17. Retrobabble

Retrobabble CVF #37500: Director of Fun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My day job is composed of schedules and appointments on top of schedules and appointments.

One of my favorite things about Vegas is that I don't have a schedule. I do not plan much of anything, other than meetups and cool dinner plans. Everything else is pure whimsy. If I want to have dinner (or brekkie) at 2 am or sleep at 3 pm, or dance until dawn, I'm in.

One of my second favorite things about Vegas is perching up on a bar stool for awesome drinks, people watching and meeting other fun people. Every so often, someone gets into their head that my friendliness is something else, but nope. This is my adult Disneyland and it's pretty much PG. :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  18. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the escape.
    When I’m being a gambling degen I am not checking my emails or thinking about running a business.

I love making decisions about which of the unlimited restaurants I’m going to dine at.
    I love when my toughest decision is what bar my next drink is coming from or if I’m gonna play deuces wild or double/double bonus.

• Like Like x 3
  19. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. HeatherC

HeatherC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the appeal for me also. I'm from a small town in Indiana. I don't get to "live it up" much. Most weekends we go camping. I love going to Vegas and dressing up, having nice dinners, staying in nice rooms and having my room cleaned for me, shopping at high end stores, relaxing at an amazing pool while someone brings me my drinks, go to amazing clubs and see all the pretty lights. Can't wait to go back next year!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.