1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

To use or not to use offer(s) for work travel

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Sidekicknick, Jun 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidekicknick

Sidekicknick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be traveling to Vegas for work in September and wondering which is the better option for future comps:

1.) Book stay using MLife offers which at Aria or Bellagio would comp most of the stay
    or
    2.) Book stay without any offers to boost the overall cost of the room giving more tier credits

... I assume #2 is ideal since I'm not the one footing the bill, just wondered if booking but not using offers somehow messes with the account.

Thanks!

2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    are you going to play at all during the trip? If you are not going to play, I would not use an Mlife offer, since work is going to pay anyway. It will hurt your future offers if you no play them

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cant you use number 2 and book without Mlife number and have work pay. Then play using your Mlife card (providing your gambling this trip)? It would look the same as if your staying at CET and just dropping in to play some at Mlife?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No! Expense it out!

However (comma) you might use an offer to extend a work trip for a couple of days of R&R.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  5. Sidekicknick

Sidekicknick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, but if I book via my Mlife account I will get all the tier points that go with the booking. My guess given the prices those days would be like 25k tier points.... so I would like to capture that.

.... you're probably right, I'm sure I'll be much more productive with my mind cleared and hang-over gone.

I plan on playing, but it won't be the focus of my trip, so I'm sure less than normal.

6. ChilliPalmer

ChilliPalmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would agree with a combination of above.

Extend your trip for a couple days. Definitely capture the tire credits and expense it. Play as you normally would to “fulfill” your gaming

7. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you book the room and pay for it with your credit card, then get reimbursed from work, you still get the points.

8. Sidekicknick

Sidekicknick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right, I just wanted to double check intentionally avoiding offers won't mess with future ones. I assume MGM would prefer I don't take them up on their freebies, but wasn't sure if this would somehow screw with things.

... they've been oddly generous this year, so I didn't want to mess with that by going around an offer to and booking normally, but still tied to my account.

9. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would never give my employer the value of my offer unless I am that employer

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  10. Lord Suspect

Lord Suspect High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, please expense it for workdays. If you can extend trip and use offer for a few days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. LVRaiders

LVRaiders Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Expense it

April Trip
    Last Minute
  12. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you know your average play level per day is going to be less than usual, then it depends on what the throw-ins on the offer are.

If your work is going to give you a per-diem for food that's equal to or greater than the F&B in your offer, then disregard that part of the offer. Unless you get the per-diem regardless of how you book.

If your offer has freeplay, then that would be a consideration to use the offer.

I think the only reason to have work pay would be:
    • It means you can extend the stay by tacking the offer onto the end
    • Work is going to give you a per-diem for food (you might be getting that anyway)
    • The extra TCs will allow you to go over a threshold by Sept 30th that you wouldn't otherwise reach. If it's your last trip of the player year and the extra TCs will push you from 30,000 to 55,000, that doesn't do you any good.

The reasons to book the offer would be:
    • If you're tacking it on
    • If the throw-ins are decent
    • If the extra TCs from paying for the room won't push you to a higher tier
    • If you're getting a per-diem either way

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about option #3, book the offer and make up a folio with the regular rates, submit for reimbursement.

14. alexm

alexm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you have no future trips coming, book a room at Cosmo or CET, play what you can and see if you get a bounce back or teaser offer. Depending on length and cost of room you might even get enough TC at CET to get to Diamond. Even if you have work on the hook, even if they are paying the bill up front, when you check in simply give them your rewards number and you will get the benefits.

As a general rule when I traveled for work I avoided my home properties simply because play would be reduced which even if it's not comped will still factor into your ADT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.