1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker 22 years and no Royal!

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by BobLasVegas, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wasilla

wasilla High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've hit 2 Royals on the same machine on the same night twice. A couple other times I got 2 royals in a day. I just finished a trip where I played 22 1/2 days and hit 7 royals in two 3 day spurts. At this point, I may actually sound like a Royal magnet, but there is more to the story. A lot of trips, I exceed 100,000 or 120,000 hands and see a royal or two. I'm still a bit haunted by a 3 trip draught that included 7 weeks of play. I'll throw out more than 300,000 Royal-less hands as a guess. Same places, same single line machines, same player, different results. My Royals don't come on a schedule. They don't come when I want or think I need them. They don't come when "I'm due" They come when they come.
    In DB, you often hold a 4th flush kicker along with 3 to a royal and a 3rd flush kicker with 2 to a royal, and even 2 flush kickers with a high card. The play increases the flush frequency but reduces the Royal frequency. 10/7 DB players still hit Royals, often more than players at other games, because the pay table often keeps DB players in the game longer between Royals.
    The OP doesn't play a ton, but does play a good game. Royals are going to come, perhaps in batches.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YOU ARE SO RIGHT...I meant JOB & Bonus are virtually identical.
    Bonus was the hardest for me to learn; drive me nuts for a while. But pretty good now.

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never had a royal. Played those hand held things for hours as a kid, gambled, played online, never once.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  4. Giovanni

Giovanni Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Few more reasons for lack of royals:
    Playing when you are drunk or tired (a lot of hours a day of play lower your concentration)

also as people said if you wanna see more royals just play multi lines 5, 10 , 50 or 100 hands at the time.

Personally i don't care how many royals i will hit. it's more about how much money i win / loss and of course how much i enjoy the games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Roccoscollar

Roccoscollar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heck, I've only had 2 and I play a ton. $1 - either BP or DDB. I have had a nice run of 4A with a kicker on DDB over last year so that's kept me going.

6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drunk/tired might lower your royal chances I suppose from missing a royal draw, but I feel like most players notice royal cards in their hands. Maybe quickly holding a dealt flush or straight with 4 to a Royal in it?

And if you run above average on Royals, you'll like it though because you're much more likely to leave a winner afterward!

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  7. Giovanni

Giovanni Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    by the way i had 2 royals today. but it's easy when you are playing 100 hands at the time...only gave me 40$ on each hit (0.01$ on max bet)
    also had 4 of a kind x 11 on ultimate x of poker bonus deluxe today. which worth more than a royal..220$ (0.05$ on max bet)
    so again as long as it's a nice hit i don't care if it's a royal or something else

• Like Like x 1
  8. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah 100 play royals is an exception to that "likely to be ahead" rule. A dealt quad is way more valuable.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    true.

by the way I still wonder what is the return on the machine I played today:
    it's ultimate x wheel poker 5 play poker bouns deluxe
    Any ideas ?

Attached Files:

10. Norman Chad

Norman Chad Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first 60,000-70,000 hands I had no royals. My last ~20,000 hands I've had 5. My wife hit her one and only after maybe 1,000 hands lifetime (on a nickel machine, not playing max bet, argh, the things that test a marriage). In time the math will catch up.

11. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife's experience is similar to Norman Chad's. My royals have come more or less on pace with probability. I've had eight. My wife had only one after maybe a dozen years of play. She got her second this March on our first trip of the year to Vegas and her third last week on our second. Probabilities are just that, not certainties. Hopefully your luck will shift to the other side of the curve.

12. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately, the Wizard of Odds has been bad about not updating new games lately. It will depend on the paytable of course, but at the nickel level, i would assume not very good. Possibly 0.5% more than the bet 5 non-UX payout. So maybe 7/5 Bonus Deluxe would be 96.75% instead of 96.25%.

If anyone here has a videopoker.com gold membership, I don't, they'd be able to find out.

13. Lord Suspect

Lord Suspect High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel your pain. Hang in there you will get one. I get about 2 a year. My worst run I put 600 dollars in a 25 cent single line and had zero 4OAK and lost all 600.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. Giovanni

Giovanni Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it's 8/6 machine

15. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you bet 5???? The payouts get boosted when you bet 10/line plus the wheel fee because the wheel isn't worth the full price of the fee.

16. Giovanni

Giovanni Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes it's 8/6 on 3 or 5 play 0.05$ . on 10 play it's 8/5 on 0.05$ per hand.

so i bet 0.05$ five hands plus the bonus fee so it's 2.5$ per spin.

so if regular 8/6 poker bonus deluxe it's like 98.5% return.. this game is close to 99% return?

17. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's 8/6/4 when you bet 5 credits, then it would be 99%+ at max bet. But the payout when you bet max should be either 8/6/5 or 8/7/4. The payout gets boosted at max bet.

Here is what the paybacks are when you max bet and the paytable displays these listed ONE COIN paybacks. Apparently you can't go by what the 10 coin payout is. They are very similar, and they tighten the wheel instead. Images courtesy of @tednancy.

IMG-20190618-WA0000.jpg

This is 8/6 (99.4% for 5 play)

IMG-20190618-WA0001.jpg

And this is 6/5 (96.17%) for 5 play

IMG-20190618-WA0006.jpg

Have the same paytable at max bet. :bang::bang::bang:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  18. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually play 100-play VP and in the past 15+ years I can only recall getting a Royal twice. Once was a Royal on a 100-play machine holding 4 to the Royal. The second was once getting dealt a Royal on a 100-pay VP machine. But I was only playing a penny a hand & I was most likely playing DDB so it only paid something like $125 for 100 Royals...

19. sqd49

sqd49 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    do you recall how many total hands you played with the 100-play machine? You should get a royal per 50k hands or so.

20. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We haven't kept count but I'd guess my wife and I have each hit about 25-30 RF's over a period of about 25 years. Oddly enough, part of that number is we both have had (at different times) a trip where we were unconsciously hitting. One year at the Mirage I hit 5 RF's and one 4 Aces with the kicker on TDB (pays the same as a RF) and another year at Wynn ,my wife hit 6 in one trip. Those trips probably ruined our statistical averages. The last few years have been leaner.

I never really thought about how much we play but we realistically probably play 10 hours a day which seems like a lot to me. Usually about 4 in the morning over coffee and then 2 sporadically during the day in between pool time and then about 4 more hours at night.

I know from a RNG point of view it makes absolutely no difference but I contend that I never win when playing with "scared money". Whenever I am up and playing without a care what the next hand is, is when I seem to win. When I'm down a fair amount for the day and playing my last few hundred (we a lot X amount/day) and watching each hand like a hawk, I never hit anything.

One thought..... If you're playing DB and giving up the 10 credit payoff on 2 pair, why not play DDB instead and get the bigger 4OAK payoffs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.