1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Restaurant Surge Pricing

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by booker, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do any of the Vegas restaurants in Vegas utilize surge pricing?

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think many do... but can not confirm.

I know most of the MGM online menus no longer have prices on them.

3. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buffets charge higher prices during holiday weekends. Any time you see a "special holiday menu" you can expect a little more markup.

But not to ~3x levels like you might see on Uber when they don't have enough drivers in an area to meet demand or during an energy crisis. People will only pay so much for a hamburger.

4. Vegas28m

Vegas28m Medium Roller, Chicago

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hexx at Paris definitely does. Looked at the menu in front and when the bill came the prices were higher. I mentioned it and the waitress said they forgot to change the menu in front for the holiday menu (Christmas time)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  5. Chicken Dinner

Chicken Dinner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every place you don't see a price tag assume there is surge gouging. Restaurants, gift shops, sundries, liquor stores. Its gone well beyond weekend nights at fancy restaurants and holiday buffets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really? I never heard of this surge pricing for Restaurants. You mean you have to pay more when they're full or on a Saturday night? I would think that if customers caught on to that those restaurants may eventually be empty unless everyone did it at the same time.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Several have multiple sets of menus with multiple options and prices. An example would be higher prices and a smaller selection for busy weekends and such.

A good (??) example of "surge pricing" might be that Special Mothers Day Brunch at many buffets, with a premium price.

8. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of the gift store in MGM hotels selling drinks and snacks are using surge pricing as well, can of soda and chocolate bar will be 2$-3$ more on saturday vs a quiet tuesday

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. Tonyfromjersey

Tonyfromjersey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Surge pricing is BS period.

• Agree Agree x 9
  10. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    could not have said it better.... i would not eat at any place that does surge pricing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you know... I would guess many of us have fallen for surge menu's and did not even know it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never come across a restaurant without prices listed. Not to say that they don't have two sets of menus with different pricing, like a lunch menu price, and a dinner menu price.................but never no prices listed at all. I don't think that would go over very well

13. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most restaurants have surge pricing though, lunch is usually cheaper than dinner, Valentines day dinner is a fixed menu that is significantly more expensive etc. I suspect we will start seeing 'special' weekend menu's for Friday and Saturday nights soon unfortunately.

14. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's yet one more thing for the complainers to complain about. One of three things is gonna happen at some point, either the fees and revenue "enhancements" are gonna finally bring Las Vegas to its knees and they'll be forced to change OR the complainers will need to find a new destination OR more than likely... not much will change, so fees and charges will come and go and the complainers will continue to post how they've had enough, but still come here anyways and will continue to call those of us who blindly follow along and have fun, sheep.

BTW... when is the next gas boycott day? Should be one of those around the corner...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think we are all okay with lunch vs diner, and even holiday pricing. But, it appears they are changing up based on other factors, like being in demand, busy, etc.

I would think anyone that is not showing prices with their online menus must be doing some of that already.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, to me it just feels like an extension of existing policy. Currently, it is only implemented based on times (lunch vs dinner) and certain days (Valentines day). It is easy to extend that to other days (e.g. weekends or three day weekends).

I doubt they will be able to create a true dynamic surge pricing like uber. Restaurants will simply add one more menu in addition to the lunch and dinner menu. They will call it a weekend menu. It will have some slight differences as compared to the lunch and dinner menu and everything will be costlier. Don't get me wrong, I hate the idea. But I am just sure that it will happen over the next 10 years. Not just in Vegas, but in a lot holiday destinations.

17. 3544quebec

3544quebec High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    19 Kitchen at Harveys Lake Tahoe is way ahead of the game then - it has had higher weekend prices for at least the last 3-4 years

Midweek Regular Menu

10oz FILET MIGNON g.f. | $49 Garlic Butter, Broccolini Garni, Red Wine Demi* , Green Peppercorn Sauce* . Add on Blue Cheese | $5

Peak Menu (Fri/Sat)

10oz FILET MIGNON g.f. | $51 Garlic Butter, Broccolini Garni, Red Wine Demi* , Green Peppercorn Sauce* . Add on Blue Cheese | $5

https://www.caesars.com/harveys-tahoe/restaurants/19-kitchen-bar#.XQqSFXdFwic

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I assume I witnessed surge pricing during my March trip. I had dinner one night at Bardot and the prices were significantly higher (>20%) than they had been a few months before. I suppose that it could have just been a "normal" pricing increase. But more than 20% seems a little excessive for a routine price increase.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of the numerous posts you're calling ME a complainer? I called you - the blindly follow along guy - a sheep? What particular part of my post was complaining - it was a statement not a specific complaint.

20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No not at all... though I absolutely can see why quoting a part of your post would make you feel my post was directed at yours'. I apologize to you. I simply felt that phrase to be indicative of many, many posts I've read here on everything from resort fees to parking fees and EVERYTHING in between. I love the VMB, but I struggle with the complaint portions of the board, which seem to continually grow about what, in the scheme of things to me, are relatively insignificant. Many declare they won't stay at a property with a resort fee, or have moved because of a change in comps program or whatever. People correctly vote with their wallet.

It just drives me nuts, cause I know these folks are still going to Las Vegas and they can't all be staying at the 4 Queens (no resort fee), even though they claim to be boycotting, Vegas numbers remain strong. They often insinuate those who play 6/5 blackjack, pay parking fees, etc. are mindless sheep that just go along and that we're part of the problem, cause we don't walk the strip with picket signs! I'm not saying they're wrong, I just don't personally focus on trivial nickel & dime crap when I want to have a good time.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.