1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MGM Cabana minimum or fee?

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by jhpa, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Crap. Dang VMB for showing me new indulgences. I usually go to the pool one day a trip with hubs. We are staying at MGM which is $100/$150 for a day bed rental depending on what day we pick.... we'd easily spend that, so since FB minimum is included, it might be a great option.

What are the rules? When do you need to check in on a rental?

I'm not usually a pool person, but this is a great thread. If we're spending the money anyways, a daybed is great!

PPS Do you have to spend the full amount of the daybed cost for FB to be applied?

Also, this is the pic they say for a pod, but it looks more like a daybed. Is this what a pod would look like at MGM Grand? I've seen other pics that look like pods...

Screenshot_20190611-004548.png

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. RandomTask

RandomTask Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    noticed that as well (re: pods looking like beds now). I booked a couple when they still had pod pictures. i just called, they are more like daybeds now. they do have an umbrella.

• Love Love x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would be awesome if those booking MGM Cabanas, day beds, and pods would come back and post pictures. I’d love to see more actual photos of each kind.

Also, renting a pod or better gets you into the pool even if you aren’t an MGM guest is that correct? Thought I remembered that but wanted to confirm.

4. Wabashabi

Wabashabi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the new pods are essentially a smaller daybed, i don’t think they have a built in safe though.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. WelshBlonde

WelshBlonde Wishing I was in Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes that's correct :)

6. RandomTask

RandomTask Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They give you a check in window of a couple of hours. If the bed is $150, you're paying that minimum. Think of it as a credit to use. If you only order $125 worth of food beverage, your're getting charged $150, tax and an 18% gratuity. Remember the gratuity piece if you've been drinking all day....

7. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Thanks so much @RandomTask ! We don't go crazy on drinks there, but at $25 each, if we both get two, we're pretty close. Not worried about tip, we always tip well.

The only hesitancy is we HAVE to pick a day to go to the pool (reservation) and we avoid schedules/commitments like the plague in Vegas. I think it'll boil down to available free seats. If enough, we'd just do that. If not, we'd consider the pod.

I'll watch this thread through the summer as I bet we get some great feedback.

@WelshBlonde ... you now have a homework assignment to try out those day beds/pods and let us know what you think! If your work balks at a trip, tell them you're going on an altruistic mission for VMB! :)

8. ChilliPalmer

ChilliPalmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple things to add:

- The pods are new. The aren’t a ton of them. They are much shorter than regular daybed. It would be difficult for most people to lay all the way down normally, without hanging over the edge. Factor this in. However they are much better than the cramped old pods.

- @Multifarious5 I would really recommend booking a day in advance. Pick one day and just commit; you won’t regret it. As you get closer and closer prices are always higher. Sometimes significantly so. I booked a premium daybed for $150 a couple months in advance. It’s now over $500.

- For many people it makes sense. Either have breakfast or lunch by the pool, a drink or two and you are pretty much there. The service has always been fantastic at MGM as well.

- As for photos here is a lazy river daybed from a trip this year.

Attached Files:

9. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So is the minimum you are rally going to pay F&B minimum + 18% or can the 18% count as part of the minimum?

10. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HI @ChilliPalmer, another fantastic, informative post! The Pic they had for the pod was like a mini day bed, which is the ONLY reason I was considering it. I don't like true pods for exactly what you said. I'm tall (5'9") so a pod would irritate me.

Still, I might book it and roll the dice on hoping it looks like the pic. On Thursday it's only $100, and I know we'd spend that on drinks and food. I can cancel the night before, and I always say, it's better to lock in a price if you.can cancel. You might have just swayed me :)

Update.... I booked it. Thanks Chilli!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ChilliPalmer

ChilliPalmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tax and Gratuity is on top do the FNB minimum. It’s safe to estimate about 25% on top of the FNB minimum.

In my experience the servers are helpful and informative to let you know where you are at with spend, when close to limits, and don’t mind helping you stay close to it.

12. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Deleted, as my post below covers. Thanks so much again Chilli!

13. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi guys, since I booked one at MGM, I thought I'd share the fine print. As always, this can change, so check your booking/hotel, but it gives an outline (check in before 11:00 am, etc.) :

PS caution
    , the reservation online says cancel by midnight, but you have TO CALL, you can't cancel online, and they are either open till 8:00 pm or 10:00 pm, so really, you have to cancel well before midnight :)

Reservation Summary
    Reservation Summary
    Reservation Total$100.00
    Amount Paid- $100.00
    Estimated Balance Due Upon Check-In*$0.00
    Cabana Rate
    Cabana Rate

All Cabana, Daybed and POD reservations are guaranteed at the time of booking with a credit card. Confirmed Cabanas/Daybed and POD must check-in to the pool between 9:00am - 11:00am, Food and Beverage service will commence at 10:00am.

Cabanas, Daybeds and PODs that are not checked in by 11:00am will be released. If you wish to cancel your Cabana, Daybed and POD reservation, you must do so 24 hours prior to the date of your reservation or the deposit will be forfeited.

Pricing is valid for 2019 Pool Season and is subject to change without prior notification. The Cabana, Daybed and POD rate is a food and beverage minimum.

Any food and beverage purchased above the minimum will also be added to the total bill. All Food and Beverage Minimums do not include taxes and automatic 18% gratuity.

If you are on the Cabana, Daybed, POD or Reserved Seating Wait-list, you are not guaranteed to have a Cabana, Daybed, POD or Reserved Seat. A Pool Receptionist will contact you on the morning of to inform you if a Cabana, Daybed, POD and Reserved Seat has come available for the date requested. Please present a Photo ID and the deposit credit card at the time of check-in.

Cabanas, Daybed and POD and Reserved Seating will be assigned the day of the reservation by the pool management team with special requests being accepted but not guaranteed. The above policy applies to Reserved Seating without Food and Beverage minimums. Reserved Seats are rental only.

No outside food and beverage is allowed except sealed water and Starbucks per guest. No luggage, coolers or glass are permitted at the pool. The Pool is not responsible for any weather related or special event closures.

You are liable for all damages caused by you or your invited guest. Consumers of alcoholic beverages must be 21 years of age.

14. WelshBlonde

WelshBlonde Wishing I was in Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:

Im going to try cosmo in Oct as they include f & b too! I will do a TR off course .... just gotta wait 116 days...... meh.

15. kleland

kleland Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have booked a cabana at MGM. We are not pool people traditionally, but this year there are 7 of us and one of those is an 11 year old, so it made sense, esp since kids like pools and it's a way to try and control gambling! I really liked the idea of 450 spend on F&B and I know someway somehow we will use all of it. I hope we enjoy it! There have been many reports I have read that people raved about pool day.

16. Lastkaii

Lastkaii Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm doing a daybed at Boulevard pool @ Cosmo next Tuesday as they are running awesome midweek specials ($100 for a daybed). Just myself and a friend, will update on how it was.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Reom_76

Reom_76 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone know if the new pods (small daybeds) at MGM are adjustable; that is, can you prop them up so you're sitting more upright?

I have one reserved for the end of July and was just curious.

18. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a cabana at MGM last Summer, it was $350. BUT, it was $350 we had to spend in food and drinks. There were 8 of us, and we ended up spending that, plus some, and it covered the "cost" of the cabana. So, the cabana is essentially free if you're buying food and drinks.

July 19th - July 24th
  19. ExpatGambler

ExpatGambler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They had a longish pillow that you can sort of prop yourself up with. To be honest I didn’t like the pod at all (for comparison we also had a premium daybed one day and a regular bed another). The pods were short and a bit too uncomfortable for 2 people to share at once. Also as mentioned above there are no safes unlike the daybeds- the safe was incredibly useful for doing laps in the lazy river or checking out the other pools. If the difference isn’t great I would spend the extra on the larger bed.

20. NovaGirl98

NovaGirl98 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How was the premium daybed? Was the area still overrun with small children, or did the renovations/layout changes alleviate that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.