1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sun Country Airlines

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by K-9treatbaker, Jun 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Everyone,

I just found out that Sun Country airlines flies from Phoenix to Las Vegas.

Has anyone flown this airline recently? Any issue's ? Course, flying these days, issue's on any airline can happen. LOL ;)

SW still has fares through the roof, from Phoenix to Las Vegas. :grrr:

Thanks for the advice.

2. mhetrick

mhetrick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW is high everywhere...on every route! Clearly they are suffering due to the Boeing MAX planes being out of service, so they sticking it to all their customers.

Sun Country did the MGM junket I did a couple years ago to Biloxi. It was fine, nothing fancy. Similar to your SW. They are based out of Minnesota I believe.

3. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve flown Sun Country dozens of times; most recently two weeks ago. It was a great airline until it changed ownership two years ago and a former executive from Allegiant airline was appointed as CEO. Service has declined significantly since then. They no longer provide traditional first class seating and have changed their business model to mimic Allegiant and Spirit Airlines. Take in point my most recent flights on Sun Country: Check in at MSP was an absolute mess...ridiculously long lines and confused counter employees. My flight left an hour late... that used to be a rare occurrence with this airline. They have added more rows to their planes so leg room has been reduced. My flight back from LAS was a half hour late. I’m flying to LAS in August and will be flying on Delta this time.

4. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the heads up on Sun Country.

Think I'll check out American or Delta.

Makes me really mad that SW is sticking it's customers because of the Max 8 issue's.

5. NJS24

NJS24 Voice of Reason

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just had the worst experience ever with AA last week, and have no problem taking about it since their “Customer Relations” Team did nothing to compensate for their lack of service, and canceled flights.

All US Airlines are just the worst, why not fly budget? At least it lowers expectations, is no less safe, and one may save a few bucks.

Side note, I’ve heard nothing but POSITIVE feedback about Alaskan, but I don’t typically travel NW.

6. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It looks like it will be Allegiant for me.

Sun country only has an 8:00 a.m. departure from Las Vegas, and I really don't relish the idea of getting up at 4:30 a.m. so I can get to the air port by 6:00 a.m.

Agree, might just as well take the budget flights. More gambling money for me.

7. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    was it weather related?

8. NJS24

NJS24 Voice of Reason

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes.

But, it’s how the delays/cancellations were managed and the complete lack of service which prompted my complaint.

It’s to the point now where airlines are quick to tell you that there is nothing they can do if the initial delay is weather related. There is no customer service in the airline industry, because frankly there doesn’t need to be.

9. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No one compensates for weather delays or for complaints about how the rebooking/delay process works.

None of the airlines are good when weather happens, because the demand for support exceeds the supply of it that is available at the airport or on the phone, and the planes are all so full that they just don't have good answers a fair % of the time.

AA's gate agents really are bad, though, and I do everything I can to avoid dealing with them. Most frequent flyers call the status line or run to the Admiral's Club when they need service.

10. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Luckily, I don't need to fly Allegiant or American to Las Vegas now.

SW sale paid off for me, and I have SW booked for our Sept. trip. $49.00 one way from Phoenix to Las Vegas. NOw, I don't have to worry about carry on fee's, or checked bag fee's. Yeah.

11. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great news; hope you enjoy your flight and Vegas trip. Hope you win BIG!

• Love Love x 1
  12. jack v

jack v MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew sun country on my trip a couple weeks ago, it was fine, I didn't pay for use of the overhead bin(not many did from what I saw), so the bins were mostly empty. I didn't understand what would keep someone who didn't pay from just putting their bag up there?

13. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sun Country charges for both checked & carry on luggage, maybe folks' luggage were failing the carry on criteria so they all were eventually checked?

14. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Presumably, they check at the gate when you have your ticket scanned? Just a guess?

15. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good question. I know for a while they actually were charging MORE for carry-on then they were for checking, now it's the same amount. I would imagine (and hope) you had better have paid for one of them if you are bringing luggage on board that won't fit under the seat. Maybe that's why they switched them to be the same. That way they don't care if you paid to check it, or paid to carry it on, as long as you paid for one of them.

Flying SC over the 4th.

16. jack v

jack v MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't pay, as mine was right on the edge of being a "personal item", obviously it was really a carryon. in my row everyone had their stuff under the seat, although the over head bins were almost empty. It's the first time I've flown sun country in many years, so i wasn't about to "cheat".

I was worried that they might force me to prove my bag fit in their fixture, but nope, just walked right by. My flight cost $66 for a 1 way flight, I checked and they really only received something like $47 from me(the rest was taxes and tsa fees, etc).

I dont know how they can make money getting that? heck, an uber ride to the airport is almost that much.

17. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hell, Spirit and Frontier sell tickets for sub 10 bucks. They get it on the other fees, and on absolutely filling the planes to the gills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.