1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Why not take the airport shuttles?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by lasvg3, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lasvg3

lasvg3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just curious.... Is there a problem with those "Airport Shuttle" vans? Fixed $7.00 cost one way???. Yes, it may take longer to get to your hotel, and it may not leave as quickly (i.e. you may have to wait a bit for one), but it's much cheaper and it gets you there, just the same... with your luggage.

2. Sfgiants13

Sfgiants13 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There’s nothing really wrong with them but if you’re the last stop it can take quite a while. At that point I’ve been able to walk to the strip quicker or take the city bus. A few times it’s taken upwards of 2 hours since strip traffic was so bad. My Uber today was $12 from Caesars to the airport before tip so the savings just isn’t worth it to me.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. NJS24

NJS24 Voice of Reason

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is saving $10ish worth 30 or more minutes... after you have already traveled X amount of hours?

There are other places where you can save money IMO.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. westexrancher

westexrancher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never seen a shuttle at the terminal we deplane at.:poke:

5. Vegas28m

Vegas28m Medium Roller, Chicago

Trips to Las Vegas:
    once there was a 2 hour wait just to get on the shuttle. I don't think so. Ubered it.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure, you can take it.

You can WAIT for it to fill

You can deal with multiple stops.

You can start your Vegas trip later.

You can start your Vegas trip even more tired.

You can start your Vegas trip car sick.

You can save a couple bucks is solo.

If you are in a group, you may pay even more than Uber would cost.

But, sure - no problem taking the shuttles.

• Agree Agree x 9
  7. Norman Chad

Norman Chad Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used one on my last trip. Think it was something like $12 round trip when I added it on to my flight. Only waited a few minutes at the airport, and took about 20 minutes to get to Mirage. I thought it was fine, but this was the one time I've gone to Vegas on business, and I didn't have the time or bankroll to do much fun stuff, so I wasn't as antsy to get there. Next trip will be the first time taking a limo, and I'm guessing the experience will be a little better. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your time. Your money. Your vacation.

For me, too much of a step-over-a-dollar-to-pick-up-a-dime moment.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing wrong with the shuttle per se, but it does take quite a bit longer with the combination of stops and when it leaves. So I don't do it since vacation time is too precious for me. If you are lucky enough for the shuttle to be leaving when you get there and you are the first one off, then it is basically the same as a cab, but the chance of that happening is probably around 10%.

I usually arrive in Vegas with a couple friends, so it is the same price for the three of us to take a cab.

10. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many of these comments have referred to issues involving McCarran-to-hotel, but I also have a problem with it when traveling from hotel-to-McCarran. I'm always worried that I'll be the first one picked up, which means some ungodly number of other stops, and then either (a) getting to the airport too late; or (b) leaving an asinine amount of time to get to the airport and then being at McCarran like three hours early.

There just isn't enough value to bother with this kind of worry. Grab your Uber/Lyft, spend an extra $5 each way, and knock out the transportation without having to concern yourself with any of that.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly, at $7, how much are you really saving vs Uber Pool or Lyft Line. I just checked my app for Lyft Line from McCarran to Luxor (where I am staying in June) - $9.88.
    Now, I realize Lyft pool can drop off other folks too, but it's much quicker and easier.

Vegas minutes to me are golden, as I'm only in Vegas 13 days a year. Not wasting it on a Shuttle.

July 19th - July 24th
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This year was the first year we used Uber to get to our hotel (this year our first stop was Mirage). In fact it was my wife's first ever Uber ride. In the past we have gotten a rental as I could get rental cars for free with my business travel. This is still my preferred method as we can go off strip and grab a quick bite and then get some supplies for the week. However, using Uber was far and away better than the shuttle. We grabbed luggage, headed to the pickup point and ordered the ride. Within 4 minutes (the added benefit that we could of course see exactly how long of a wait we had) and our car was there. Had a GREAT chat with the driver and before we knew it we were at Mirage. Cost maybe 2 or 3 dollars more.

The return trip was the same, ordered the ride, walked outside Lux and our ride was there.

We commented that we won't ever use a shuttle. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with it, but as others said this is a small extra cost but the savings in terms of time and getting right where you want to go when you want to get there is worth it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The added benefit is that you can also order your LYFT/Uber when you first get outside at the Airport and by the time you arrive it's arriving. After I took LYFT for the first time, I never looked back.

July 19th - July 24th
  14. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember taking a shuttle at night. It took me 2 HOURS to get downtown. We must've stopped at every hotel on the way to let off 1 person!!

NEVER AGAIN!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always take the shuttle as i dont really like/trust cabbies and its a few $ cheaper Never had any problem

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A serious question: How is the driver of one variant of public transit better than another?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMHO, airplanes have a dedicated route, and the pilot really serves to make your landing more comfortable.

Trains also have the advantage of a "dedicated path", but the driver is more or less insignificant.

Buses have a dedicated path, along with the advantage of "lowest cost", bus drivers vary by experience, but unless you get a "rookie driver", the driver is more or less insignificant.

Taxis have the advantage of freedom of schedule, and knowledge of the route. Most of the drivers are experienced, and can get you there In the least amount of time.

Many UBER/Lyft drivers lack experience with a route, and are "slave" to the GPS that they're using.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Norman Chad

Norman Chad Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a valid point. Although I would hope a local in Vegas would know their way around the strip and downtown at the very least.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it does take longer and is usually cheaper. BUT, once when we took the shuttle the driver gave our bag to the wrong person. I had to wait hours to get my own suitcase back!! Never again! Now its either Uber or Lyft or if I am staying downtown I'll grab the WAX bus, which doesn't take too long, but for $2, why not!!

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, taxi driver, better or worse person than a shuttle driver? That was the gist of the post precipitating my question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.