1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Are you planning relocation when you retire?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Apr 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's some of what's going in your thought process? We're not there yet but getting closer so we're starting the research and debate.

Edit: This is past tense, too, if you've been there/done that.

2. dalej42

dalej42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m not there yet either. As much as I love Chicago, I highly doubt I’m staying here. I still want 4 seasons, but the brutal Chicago winters aren’t appealing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    there is a small chance I would retire in Vegas. I wish I had bought a condo there 20 years ago. I don't need anything fancy, just a 2bed/2bath condo that I feel safe in. I might stay right where I am at in the Midwest.
    the cost of living here is lower, but it is pretty much sadville USA.
    I have also thought about just going for longer stays when I am retired... say 2 weeks at a time 5-6 times a year.
    no state income tax is appealing, but that could change by the time I am able to retire.

• Like Like x 1
  4. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, yes, yes. Can't wait to get out of this tax grabbing state of California. Cost of living here way too high for retirement. My wife is actively looking now on trying to decide where she will be happy.
    Another consideration for us is we have lifetime Kaiser health insurance through her work, so there are only 5 states with Kaiser available. Oregon is one of them, and we are going there this weekend to do a lap around the state to see if she likes Oregon since she has never visited.
    For me, golf has to be accessible and able to be played most of the year.
    We have a home in Scottsdale as well that we could always retire to, as this was purchased with retirement in mind, but we visited once when it was 122 deg out, and that eliminated Arizona for her, lol.
    My back up plan is sell everything at retirement, and then get 2 condos or townhouses in diverse areas and split the time between the two based on weather, time of year, etc.
    Nevada wouldn't be bad for tax reasons.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    R ... make sure you calculate your tax exposure in OR. For many folks, it's worse than CA. I'd love to go back but that is a big consideration for us.

Your itinerary pretty set now?

6. VPDeuces

VPDeuces Dishwasher safe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We don’t have any plans to relocate, although we’re not quite completely retired yet. We are really exploring how we can age in place where we are now rather than trying to find a different retirement living situation. We live in a large city that we love. I would suggest considering how available healthcare and services are where you are now and how that may change as you need more from them. Good luck on your journey!

7. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, been playing around with google maps. Bend to Florence, then down coast to Coos Bay first night. CB down coast to Crescent city, then back up to Grants Pass. GP via 140/97 back up to Bend. Spend the day in Bend, then leave late that night

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes!

Not sure where, yet.

Not Las Vegas! I want something fun to visit! :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Marilynfan

Marilynfan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are in the debating and research phase. I hate the winters here. We have no kids so nothing keeping us here. If only Canada had a tropical option LOL.

Considered Panama still might go on a trip there. Just not sure I want to cut ties here completely due to health care so starting to look into snowbirding options.

10. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another consideration is spending half our time in another country as an expat. Costa Rica, Colombia, etc where the cost of living is a lot lower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm gonna have to. DC is way too expensive of a place to retire. I'd like to settle in Harper's Ferry, WV, I think.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes! Most likely my old haunts in Gulf Shores AL or possibly Pensacola, FL. Low cost of living, plenty going on and it's not north Mississippi.

2BR condos on the beach are relatively inexpensive compared to other locations with nice golf courses

13. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been there, done that! I officially retired last year. Vegas was at the top of my relocation list when I was planning my retirement, but after weighing all of the pros and cons, I decided not to relocate.

Since my mom moved to Henderson when she retired, I had the chance to spend a lot of time in the Vegas area visiting her over the years before she passed away. So, I had first hand info on what it would be like living out there as a retiree. It seemed tempting at first, but I think the one thing that convinced me not to make the move is that I can take the Chicago winters a lot better than the searing dry desert heat.

Arizona was another option that I considered, since I have some friends in the Phoenix area, but it's just as hot out there too. LOL

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  14. 93 Octane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes this is also being considered with health care considerations being #1 on the con list

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seems to me we live in a retirement community already!

Tons of people from Toronto retire here. It factored in our plans when we moved here three years ago even thought I may never retire. Lol.

Like a lot people in northern US or Can, we will probably rent/buy a place south for winters. Unfortunately my business is seasonal in winter and spring so trying to figure that one out!

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate people sharing their experiences on these various related threads.

Regionally, we're west coasters. Doesn't mean it has to be a shore-hugging state, but anything east of eyeshot of the Rockies is a nonstarter.

Weather, community vitality, age diversity, tax climate (well maybe, see below), outdoor recreation, airport, cultural attributes ... that's where we are. Had we not left the central coast there is some chance we might've stayed there. To me it's one of those can-never-go-back things, however, and from a $$$ perspective buying back into that RE market, despite what we took out of it, isn't all that appealing. And we never again want a mortgage; owing outright is liberating. CA ain't perfect, but when you really dig down into the weeds, it isn't the worst place other than CoL, not given how some states stack up. We don't necessarily feel the push factor, but pull is another thing.

Oregon seemed like the default for me, and my wife is there out of sheer self-preservation ... and 20+ years of constant visits. As we get older, with her sister in Australia probably for good, that's where our family is. (When not wintering in Indian Wells.) And god knows you've heard me mouth on about Bend forever, and it offers everything we want, and good healthcare. West of the Cascades might be a challenge, whether Willamette Valley or northward around Puget Sound. Going back into that rain would be a challenge. Then again, most every other place we've been or are contemplating gets snotty hot part of the year. Bend does tag all those bags above, save the tax climate thingy. A return to Eugene?

Washington then seems the logical step; still PNW, near family (and we have some in Seattle), and a state with no income tax. So is that Wenatchee? Access to good mountain biking but I don't know about road riding, and we'd find it cold for several month. How's the golf?

I think the Snake River Valley is too wintry for Terri, even though you snowbelt folks might consider a Boise January nearly balmy.

Arizona halves the tax exposure, and we do love Tucson. The balance there is the summer blaze and how it affects us vs. the cold some other place. The Old Pueblo easily hits all the attributes -- food, culture, a university, arts, outdoor bounty, golf, and one of the best riding communities/environments out there. And it is a bit cooler than Phoenix and not as harried/frenzied/sprawling.

We got pretty close to Reno in '17/'18, and the time spent there really turned around her attitude about town. Tax bueno. Good airport. EZ proximity to what we like in CA. Still not sold on the aesthetic of it all. Vegas? NFW.

I'd like her to see Ft. Collins or Boulder, but at that why not just do Boise?

Housing-wise I see us staying with single-family, and at least until we get totally incapable, want two bedrooms and bathrooms for guests. I'd love to be able to design another kitchen.

Thanks for listening. Keep your experiences and processes coming!

• Like Like x 2
  17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let me know if you need some food/grog tips in Bend/Redmond and if you'd like to meet with a couple guys who do outreach/PR for the area and are AVID golfers let me know.

18. 93 Octane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @ken2v surprised you wouldnt retire in Bend, you've been squawking about it for years and your finally there. I do love the PNW with Idaho thrown in but the winters are to tough for this southern fella.

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't exclude it. Or at least it didn't sound like I did, to me. Tax and CoL aren't the only considerations. Otherwise I'd move to Laughlin. lol

20. VideoPokerNerd

VideoPokerNerd Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WHEN you retire?

I'll never be able to retire...unless I hit the MegaBucks jackpot someday.

"Maiden Vegas" UP THE IRONS!
    1st time at Luxor
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.