1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

CET potential sale and the direct effect to reward credits

Discussion in 'Comps' started by AlPal, Apr 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlPal

AlPal Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The other day I posted I like to hoard my reward credits with CET. However with the talks of a CET sale in the very near future should I burn them on my next trip? Or would any potential sale take so long to develop that I shouldn’t be concerned? I generally go to Vegas 6-10 times a year. Once a sale is finalized would there be a grace period, or would they be worthless immediately in your opinion? Thanks!

2. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Burn them.

They won't be immediately worthless, but you should expect them to have decreased value. At least that's what past history shows for all other sales/program mergers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Patman

Patman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think until it happens, you could have any of the situations you listed above be the result. You may not know until it is too late. More than likely, they won't try to burn the players too badly but I wouldn't risk the worse case scenario.

Edit: I'm not saying that it will change with an announcement of a sale. But something will happen (bad or indifferent) when they change over the players club.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  4. DoctorD

DoctorD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that it would take a while to pass all of the regulatory hurdles and such.

A key thing to take advantage of if they were devaluing the points would be to transfer to Wyndham points.
    Up to 30,000 points can be transferred a year.

Free rooms from them can be 7,500 - 30,000 a night
    Low End places are 7,500. Regular places are 15,000. High end are 30,000.

D

5. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don’t hoard them and don’t burn them. Just use them as you pay for meals or entertainment.

If you want a savings account, go to a bank.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AlPal

AlPal Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been blessed with a great streak of winning trips and haven’t felt the need to use them. They are there if I want to splurge, or if I have a bad run and want to burn them.

7. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I may have posted on the other thread too, but always burn your RC's if possible and never hoard them. They may not be devalued, but they can be. Cash in the bank is always better than points, if you can make the choice.

Of course, when you burn them don't waste them on a 2:1 conversion, like for FP. Find a place where you still get 1:1.

One thing I do, when I travel with friends or acquaintances, I ask them if I can settle their hotel or restaurant bills with my RC's, and then have them pay me 80% of that amount in cash. And if it is family, I just give them a free treat of a hotel room.

• Like Like x 2
  8. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's all rumor and speculation...I wouldn't get too caught up in it, especially given how long it would take for a merger to happen followed by the time between merger and any proposed changes. And there's no guarantee that a buyer wouldn't opt to use TR over their own rewards.

Keep in mind that CET has depreciated them over time anyway. In general, you should use them up as you earn them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    During corporate mergers, the common concern is they will FIRE everyone. Wrong - they need people.

Same if somebody bought CET - they NEED customers. Last thing they would do is toss RCs. Over time, they might devalue some, but not right away. Without customers, they are dead in the water.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am confused with this logic. Winning or not, if you have them, why not use them when buying meals, drinks, etc?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    eh if you work back of house in the corporate HQ...a lot of people are going to get fired. In particular, one of the big industry commentaries on CET is their cost structure is bloated.

If I were a dealer, I dunno that I'd be too worried. But if I were a staff accountant? I'd have concerns. If I were the Director of Benefits or VP of Finance? I'd be shitting my pants.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AlPal

AlPal Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally I figure they will come in handy if I want to splurge on something I normally wouldn’t, or if things get tight sometime and I still want to get away for a few days. Just a personal choice.

13. Elizakess

Elizakess Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would not burn through them but I would not hoard them anymore either. The worst that will happen is they will not go as far after a merger or sale. I’ve seen some cases where they give equivalent value. I may have lost my free play and food credit with the Palms merger but my comps applied to the new situation. I did not lose any of the comps. Given the percentage Icahn owns and his view on a sale regardless of when it happens it’s going to happen at some point. I would take full advantage of what resort credits I have on my next regular trip and spend them on what you’d already would buy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMHO, whatever happens, it's going to take some time to move/merge/implement a new rewards system. Look at any of the mergers that have occurred in the last 5 years or so. I predict that it will take at least a year before any new system comes into play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Burn them or get burnt.
    That is usually the case in these situations.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HeatherC

HeatherC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to use all of mine for our trip in June. Not taking a chance of losing them or losing value. I'll just charge what I can to the room and use them before I check out.

17. letsgotovegas

letsgotovegas VIP Whale

If you are going to use your RCs for food, it’s better to use them at point of purchase. That way you don’t pay sales tax. If you charge to the room, you will have to pay more RCs to cover the tax. This may also be true for other purchases. I’ve never tried it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. HeatherC

HeatherC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. I was told to charge them to the room so you get tier credits also. Not sure how that works as we've never tried it before. Something to research.

19. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

This is the sentiment at CET, executives are feeling worried, front-of-house staff (dealers, hotel staff, etc) are feeling positive about it. They need strong leadership and the CEOs of CET weren't what the company needed.

20. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As mentioned in that thread, if you are paying for ANYTHING at CET that you can could be redeeming those credits for, you should be burning them down with or without a sale.

It is a psychological trick you are playing on yourself. If you're going to vegas 6-10 times a year there is no reason to hoard. Instead of saving up points to "treat" yourself someday, use the points, and bank the money saved to "treat" yourself. Not only will that carry less risk of point expiry/devaluation and be better for interest/inflation purposes, but it means that "treat" doesnt have to be at CET, or a 1-1 place if it is.

If you have everything comped such that they still let you accumulate credits (for instance, you have an outright free room and don't generally dine at CET), then it is a more interesting conversation involving picking something that will have real value for you. But I would not panic about the sale. Closing it would take some time and I very much doubt they would zero out the credits. One of the main assets in such a merger is the player databases, which does little good if you immediately burn them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.