1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How much of the world have you seen?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by kevin853, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been to 70+ countries - including 27 in Europe and 15 in Africa (16 if you count Sudan on a flight layover).

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  2. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only started travelling internationally in the past 6 years so not as many as others.

still, I travelled to:

England - London mostly
    France - Paris, Nice, Avignon, Versailles
    Netherlands - Amsterdam
    Germany - Karlsruhe
    Switzerland - Lucerne
    Italy - Rome, Venice, Florence, Pisa

(the above I was on a tour)

Canada - Montreal, stopped off at Vancouver
    Korea - Seoul
    Japan - Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Nikko, Yokohama
    USA - Nevada, California, Washington DC.

I was too young but I was born in Chicago and we drove from east coast to west coast when the family moved back to Hawaii.

I might have to go to Europe again real soon, with Brexit and heard that some countries will be charging tourists a fee to go into their country.

edited: Forgot to list Monte Carlo. Wish I had more time there but we were on a tour so only had a few hours. Was there right after the grand prix so they still had the grandstands out.

Also forgot to mention other places in the US that I visited:

Orlando/Tampa
    Branson/Springfield (had to go for a Y2k conference)

Hmmm, there must be other places in the US that I visited, just that I can't remember (guess old age, lol).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it is wonderful that some of you have visited most of the states in our great nation!

It made me remember my store manager long, long ago when I was a snot-nosed baggage clerk for a local supermarket. He was a native Korean and married a Japanese woman. He got his U.S. citizenship and his wife was a born citizen.

He loved the U.S so much and shared his dream that when he retired he wanted to visit every state in the nation with his wife. He was a good, hardworking, wonderful father figure for me and I liked him a lot.

Sad to say he passed away before he could retire. I had moved on and was already an electrician but word from my former workers told me he passed away from lung cancer.

I attended the funeral and my tears couldn't stop flowing when his wife went up to speak a few words. She mentioned how her husband loved the U.S. so much and how he would talk eagerly about one day buying a motor coach and they would travel all over the United States together.

So she promised right then and there that she would make her husband's dream a reality. She would go on a tour of all the states with his spirit in her heart.

Even as I type this my eyes are filled with tears. Even though it was ages ago I'll always remember his dream. He was a great man.

And with that being said I'd like to share how much of this great world I've seen:

Osan, South Korea (and somewhere in the mountains freezing my ass off playing Army....)
    Tokyo, Japan
    Seattle, Washington
    Chicago, Illinois
    Fort Knox, Kentucky (again running around in the mud and snow playing cavalry scout)
    Anaheim, California
    And good ole Las Vegas, Nevada.:thumbsup:

• Love Love x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a wonderful story Electro! It reminds me of one too.

My son met a friend on his first day of grade one. On the third day of school, as I stood (unknowingly) next to his friend's mother waiting for them to be dismissed, he ran outside and asked if his friend 'Josh' could come over to our house to play after school. The friend's mother replied her son's name was actually Sean (not that his mistaken name made any difference to our son's) but maybe in a week or so (after she was a little more comfortable with allowing her son to go to a strangers house) we might make some plans.

A week went on and both our sons wanted to get together after school, so the other mother invited me over for snack after school. After snack, while the boys went off to play, the very first thing she did was pull out a photo album and show me the pictures of their Citizenship ceremony. It was the happiest day of her life and meant more to her family than anything so far!

Maybe 15 years later, after I had known some other friends for years, they mentioned they were going to their Citizenship ceremony. Having never attended one and wanting to support them, my sister and I attended.

I could not believe how emotional a ceremony it was for those given their Citizenship that day and for my sister and I too. We take so much for granted!!

So I wrote my list and realize I like to stay close to home.

Canada (my home, but I've gone to 9 out of 10 provinces and 2 out of 3 territories (just have Nunavut and Newfoundland to visit).

USA
    Mexico
    Honduras
    Belize

• Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Retrobabble

Retrobabble CVF #37500: Director of Fun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel like I've spent my entire life traveling -- don't remember ever not having a passport ready to go. I've lived in 3 countries: Canada, Germany and the U.S.

Europe does make it easy to see multiple countries in a weekend and I loved learning to say "good morning" in a store in one language, "thank you" in another and "good-bye" in a third...with no one thinking it's strange. Traveled to Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand. Australia from Brisbane to Cairns. Not sure how many countries I've seen at this point but it's not as many as some.

On my list: Hong Kong and Japan, maybe New Zealand (although it looks so much like British Columbia), Chile, Algeria (fascinating history and it'd be fun to learn a bit of Arabic or Berber although French is an unofficial language so I could muddle along.) Now I want to go traveling again....

• Love Love x 1
  6. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For my age, I'm not well-traveled (globally) at all...
    Most of the Mexican border towns...plus Cozumel & Cancun... Toronto & Ottawa in Canada, Puerto Rico & the Dominican Republic...that's it... I have been in nearly every state in the US (lower 48)... but never Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont.

Annual Spring Trip!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sadly, not too much:
    Aruba
    Bahamas
    Bermuda
    Canada
    Mexico (Cancun)
    Italy ( I was blessed to be able to celebrate Palm Sunday Mass with Pope Frances at the Vatican and receive communion, it was truly magnificent!)

Hawaii, yes I know it's part of the US.
    Will be visiting Alaska, for the first time (in 65 days) so excited!

As for the rest of the US, pretty much only the east cost from Maine down to Florida and California from San Francisco down to Tijuana. Obviously, Nevada goes without saying, oh yea , Ohio too.

8. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of the 197 countries in the world, I've been in 49. Doesn't seem like much, but some places I've visited actually aren't "countries of the world" (Bermuda isn't! BVIs aren't! Hong Kong isn't!) For the US, I think I've been to 40 or so states? Haven't counted them in a while. Might be more. I know I haven't been in Montana or North Dakota.

Airport layovers don't count to me. I love to travel, I have parents who love to travel (or, did when I was younger). My dad grew up living/moving around overseas because his dad was a govt contractor. My dad has worked for the govt in various capacities - mostly when I was college age or older, but I did get to visit Kazakhstan & Kyrgyzstan because of his work. A couple places I've been because of my work. And the rest - love of exploring new places and eating new food :)

I was thinking on my commute earlier this week about what my friends and I wanted out of our lives in high school and college and how many of us are living the lives we thought we would. My desires were pretty simple - I wanted to be working in international relations and traveling a lot (my college degree is in foreign service). I work in global health and travel as much as I can afford. So, apparently I'm living my dream :)

ETA Enumerating the countries of the world is a political process. For my purposes, I chose 197 - 193 UN member states, 2 observer status, plus Kosovo & Taiwan.....

• Like Like x 3
  9. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    UK& Ireland many times, France, Belgium,
    Netherlands, Germany, Cuba , I think all states east of the Mississippi, perhaps four west of it, all provinces in canada plus two of three territories (missing Yukon).

I really thought I would have hit more internationally as I like to travel but, work/life always seems get in the way:(

10. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait!
    They have gambling in Alaska?
    ;)

Annual Spring Trip!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    42 states - missing Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, N Dakota, S Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota. (I also don't count airport layovers)

Almost every island in the Caribbean
    Bermuda
    Mexico
    Canada (maritimes, Montreal, Quebec, Toronto, Vancouver)
    Iceland
    England
    Scotland

I really want to see the remaining US States, but I can't get anyone to do that road trip with me. The distances are too great for me to want to do it alone, but it might come to that.

Italy, Scandinavia and the South Pacific are high on my bucket list. I need my husband to retire so we can enjoy those places together.

12. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In 2009, I made a promise to myself to visit 1 new country every year, and I succeeded about 90% of the time.

So far the countries I have visited are

1. Australia
    2. India
    3. Bangladesh
    4. Sri Lanka
    5. Singapore
    6. Italy
    7. Switzerland
    8. Mexico
    9. Costa Rica
    10. Canada
    11. And of course the USA where I live

• Like Like x 1
  13. ScottE

ScottE Roller!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good thread, really got me thinking about where I have been:

N.A. - 38 states and DC / 6 provinces and Mexico

Caribbean - Bahamas/ Jamaica/ Cuba/, St Marten/ Barbados/ Turks & DR

UK - England / Scotland / Ireland and Wales

Europe - France/ Spain/ Holland/ Germany/ Italy/ Czech republic/ Switzerland/ Cyprus,/ Greece

6 of the 7 G7 Capital cities. Only missing Toyko. (Ottawa, Washington, London, Paris, Berlin, Rome)

• Like Like x 1
  14. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me it's been sticking with U.S. States. But this is from someone raised under a single mom who had no desire to travel. IF we managed to get away it would be 1 or 2 days by car :(Not sure if that's what put this travel bug in me or not...

But I've been to 13 States and that includes Puerto Rico. Will be adding IL (Chicago) onto that list in the next few months...:wiggle:

Looking to put HI on it in a few years...

But as far as actual Countries, as long as Canada and Mexico still count then I'm good :ssst:

Going on Cruises has given me opportunities to visit Islands such as...the Bahamas, St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts and St Maarten.

Looking to put Jamaica , Grand Cayman and Cuba on that list...:beer:

15. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I've been in 43 US states and 3 US territories/Commonwealths. Only 6 of the 13 Canadian Provinces & Territories. I've done airport transfers in a couple additional states & Canadian provinces but I'm not counting that ;-)

16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:

• Like Like x 1
  17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the things to remember about the States: London and Madrid are in closer proximity than Seattle and San Diego.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They do on the cruise ship ;) lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. vsop

vsop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't traveled internationally since the early '90s...though, since that time I've been to Hawaii several times, which is a touch farther than going to France....long distance travel seems to make me impatient nowadays. I'd like to see more of the out of the way places in the ole US of A.... but I'm still grateful to have visited the following:

Bahamas
    Dominican Republic
    Puerto Rico
    Canada
    Mexico
    UK
    France
    Netherlands
    Belgium
    Sweden
    Denmark
    Germany
    Monte Carlo
    Switzerland
    Italy

20. easy_money

easy_money High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lived in several states (NY, IL, VA, ME, HI) and 2 countries (JP/Sasebo, IT/Gaeta).
    Traveled to many places but haven't traveled outside the US in the last 3-4 years besides Canada.
    Didn't include layovers. If I did, probably add 10+ more or so to the list.

Visited 25-30 states.
    Mexico
    Egypt
    Ethiopia
    Somalia
    Seychelles
    Djibouti
    Kenya
    Yemen
    Bahrain
    Spain
    Italy
    Scotland
    UK
    Slovenia
    Croatia
    Greece
    Turkey
    Malta
    China
    HK
    Japan
    Taiwan
    South Korea
    Australia

Favorite: Between Australia and Croatia.
    Least Favorite: Djibouti

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.