1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

It’s that time of year- get in shape- again.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Valgal, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those of you who are saavy on your smartphones, allow me to put a plug in for the My Fitness Pal app from Under Armour. At the suggestion of a dietician I'm visiting, I loaded it the week before Christmas. I've lost 14 lbs. Now... that's like throwing a book off of the Titanic for me, but it's a good start. I started keeping a journal of what I ate a couple weeks before the app, but I wasn't keeping track of the portion sizes. The app is incredibly easy to use and does a lot of that for me by scanning bar-codes. Now that I'm focused on portion-size, in addition to the nutrients… it's made a big difference for me.

I have the free version, but it also has a paid version with a few more bells and whistles. If I can just keep judiciously using it...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yeah portion size is a big eye opener for me. I'm not too good at that, especially pasta, which is why it's easier for me to just limit that to vacations or special outings.

I use the Weight Watchers, or WW now (groan :rolleyes:) the app only. I have to pay but it averages around $5 a week, and I would hope my health is worth that! The barcode scanner works well on pre-packaged food and the community is very positive, like here. It was a huge step for me to admit I need some help in this department, glad I took the step.

[​IMG]

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. SteveO

SteveO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would like to toss in a second recommendation for MyFitnessPal. It may be the best food tracker out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck to everyone who has decided to get in shape!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another piece of kit that’s worth investing in: a food scale. It’s way too easy to convince yourself, “yeah, that looks like a single serving.” At least it is for me! :feedme:

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep!!! Bought a couple of those too and yes... this whole portion-size, tracking thing makes a HUGE difference. I bought a couple of them so one's on the island and one's over by the range... makes them very easy to use.

7. whiskeyandslots

whiskeyandslots High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MyFitnessPal is great.

So many of these "tools" work...IF you use them like you're supposed to and stick to them. That's the hard part!

8. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How is everyone doing?

I lost a glorious .8 lbs in January! Doing intermittent fasting for 3 weeks starting yesterday, 16 hour fasts, hopefully I will be a big loser by the end of it! I hate everything!

Bacchanal Buffet here I come!
    [​IMG]

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
  9. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jumping on the Keto stuff in the morning. I think I can handle the most of the low carb stuff (I say that now...) but the 4.5 liters of water will be crazy. Dark beer is what is going to be rough, and I’m gonna have to learn to be conscious of my Vodka(insert random mixer here) on my Vegas trip in under three weeks. So, good luck to all of us! We got this!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The hubs and I got worked up last week for bio hormone therapy. We will get injected with pellets tomorrow. I have several friends of the same age who swear by it. So I’ll have to see if it helps with metabolism and energy.

I have some pants that are too big I just put in the pile for our local Hospice store and SPCA thrift shop. Only a small dent but I weigh 20 lbs less than I did a year ago. Hoping I start feeling better after correcting my Estrogen/Progesterone which are basically non existent in my system right now.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband and I got the pellets. My poor husband had a testosterone level of 26- normal us 900-1400. So he had a level of a 95 year old.

The procedure itself doesn’t take long. The pellets for the guys are the size of a tic tac. My husband had to have 12 injected into his butt cheek/gluteus Maximus. For women much smaller and I only had 8. Hopefully he is feeling better by our trip in 2 weeks.

12. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go to Las Vegas & Walk the strip,
    Amazing Exercise!

*for me, no pollen=Bonus!

13. Jer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So....22 pounds in 17 days of Keto so far. But, Vegas trip is in two days so I’m kinda freaking out about that. Figuring lots of buffets with meat and seafood, but it’s the drinking that is concerning me. I’ll have to really watch that... Any pointers or advice?

14. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do DDPY. I only follow the exercises and I just watch my carbs and have well balanced meals and don't over eat.

I've been struggling to keep doing the workouts over the past year due to various factors that I let get into my head. However, I can attest that the exercise program is amazing. A couple of years ago I was in the best shape of my life, I was stronger, faster, more flexible and had better cardiovascular and muscular endurance than ever before and I was lean.

I found my motivation and I jumped back on the wagon over the past couple of weeks. It's time to own my life again!

DDPY is a workout system developed by Diamond Dallas Page, a retired professional wrestler. It is based off of yoga, but it is so much more than yoga. It started off as YRG (Yoga for Regular Guys) then they rebranded it to DDPYoga, presumably to take advantage of DDP's celebrity status, now they're starting to just call it DDPY, kinda dropping using the word Yoga where they can because it is so much more than yoga. Check it out at www.ddpyoga.com if you're interested.

No, I'm not getting paid to advertise the product, I just believe in it.

15. HeatherC

HeatherC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I eat a keto diet so very low carb. I drink tequila and water with some of the crystal light water bottle flavoring mixed in. I prefer the raspberry lemonade. It still tastes sweet but sugar/carb free. I've been keto since April 2018....lost 70lbs. My goal is to buy a bikini for Vegas this June. Just hang in there! You can do this!

16. HeatherC

HeatherC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Order tequila (or vodka) and water. Carry crystal light water bottle packets with you for flavoring. I did it last August and no one gave me any problems. You can also drink rum and diet coke. Or whiskey and diet coke.

17. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sure hope your avatar pic is an after picture because you sure don't look like you could afford to lose 70 lbs. in that picture. Good for you!! :woohoo::beer:

I'm keto too and I've been freaking out for the past few days because I'm leaving tomorrow. Walking around the house thinking 'what to drink... what to drink...?' while still taking into account that this is a holiday....

Finally said piss on it and decided to take a few days off while there. Food wise I know I'll have no problem but my real weakness is beer. I like it! And I'm sick of gin and diet tonic. If your dedicated, there are still lots of good options for drinking and I'm sure you'll still be able to keep in check. Just no beer :cry:

You've done great on your diet though. Congrats!

18. Jer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! I’m a beer drinker too, so this is all new to me. But the real test is going to be when I order drinks when I’m drunk.

19. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll confess I have NOT been focused like I said I would be for various reasons, including distractions at work, thinking about this being a transition year, etc. but Vegas is now just under 2 months away so I'm using that fact to get a bit more disciplined, especially with fitting in exercise, which I started doing a few weeks ago and then stopped. I'm not beating myself up though. I'll get back on track to take off these last 15 to 17 pounds. :thumbsup:

20. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Isn't there a saying/or there should be a saying 'what you don't remember on keto doesn't count'.

Have a great trip and if you happen to be by the 4Q's on Fremont, send me a pm and I'll buy you an illicit beer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.