1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Annoying conversations with Non-Vegas fans

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by PsyDoc, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely terrific thread! Makes me smile at every conversation.

Me: I’ll be gone next week.
    Them: Where to?
    Me: Las Vegas.
    Them: Don’t you always go to Vegas?
    Me: What’s your point?

Me: I don’t think most people ‘get’ Las Vegas.
    Mrs. Johnny: If they went with us they’d probably get Las Vegas, but who cares if they get Las Vegas or not? There are too many people there already. Enough people get the place to fill it up, that’s for sure.
    Me: Why do people so often feel compelled to tell me they don’t like Las Vegas if they find out we’re going there?
    Mrs. Johnny: Because they’re f’ing idiots.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  2. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know a lot of people who don't "get traveling", whether it be because of finances or lack of interest. Thus I'm sure the stories are true as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. BuckeyeOH

BuckeyeOH Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A new coworker mentioned an upcoming trip to Vegas but added before anyone could comment that he goes 'for the shows'. After we got to know each other, he confessed that he always says that to avoid the typical comments and judgement.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the privileges of being retired is that you do not have to coexist with coworkers, or any other asshole who presumes to make gratuitous judgmental comments. "Excuse me, you certainly seem to confuse me with someone who gives a shit what you think about where I go and, by the way, if I want to get stupid comments about Las Vegas, I’ll just read Trip Advisor.”

When did it stop being rude to make unsolicited negative judgmental comments to anyone about anything?

I have always wondered what motivation someone would have to interject “I hate (insert place you are going).”

• Like Like x 3
  5. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep - I dealt with this many years ago with my church...and my Pastor confirms: Nothing in the Bible that says gambling is a sin...not directly... but he did point out two things:
    1. We are expected to be responsible financial stewards of our households.
    2. We are not to deceive our neighbors in an attempt to trick him out of his money or property.

I take those two things seriously & I continue to be quite comfortable gambling...
    I think some folks - including some "church" folks - reflect their own fears regarding #1 when it comes to gambling. They view any dollar lost gambling as being an irresponsible steward. Most are simply hypocrites though, as they have no problem spending $100s on a fishing or hunting trip... or $1000s on a DisneyWorld trip for the family.
    They fail to understand gambling as "entertainment"... that is, until they engage that kind of conversation with me! ;)
    :beer:

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to avoid conversing with humans as much as possible. The dogs however, are always disappointed when we go to Vegas. They've heard about the sheer size of buffets and have the misconception that we go there just for those. We don't. They can't get their dog noggins around the idea that we'd visit a place where food is doled out by the yard - not by the bowl, but by f*ing yard - and we don't park there until we pass out. But, they always get some beef jerky or sausage upon our return, so we're all lovey-dovey once again.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Me: I'm going to Vegas
    Friends: When?
    Me: XYZ date
    Friends: I'd love to go but I can't afford it

I need new friends... Or, here's an idea, stop spending $2-300 a weekend going out to local bars and grinding on the same experience. One month is $1,200 -- which is plenty for a four-night Vegas tip (non-gaming budget).

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The clue being "if you like TGIF". See, now that complicates things. The only TGIFish things I can come up with is food court cuisine.
    Just thinking in terms of family-casual, nothing leaps out at me. I'll just hang out and wait for the answer. :eek:

9. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, and yes again.

My simple solution is to just disregard any negative comment or judgmental fool telling me what to do, or not do, in church or out. Do you ever wonder how many of those ‘stewards’ might be drowning in debt, in addition to being blowhard hypocrites?

I have no objection to priests, ministers and pastors asking me to lead a righteous life, but I’m voluntarily there to listen to them, hear their counsel, and try to be a better person. I’ve never gone to church and been told not to gamble or go to Vegas. I’d just reply, “I attend services at The Little White Chapel.”

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's probably considered a conversation generator tool. The idea being that you'll counter with either a justification for going , or you'll inquire as to why they hate the place. My natural reaction is "So, why do you hate it".

One of the first things you learn in court: people want a voice. They want to be heard. That's it. Nothing more. They just want to believe that they're a valued piece of the puzzle. Which explains part of the social media explosion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trust me - there are some 'churches' that will preach that.
    I just don't attend them.
    (Lutheran here...we're "allowed" to drink, smoke and gamble! ;) )

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me: sorry, can’t be there, headed out of town that week.
    Them: Vegas again?
    Me: Yes, Wynn for a week.
    Them: You go a lot, don’t you? How do you afford it?
    Me: Well, at home we’re The Most Boring People In The World. We don’t go out much, we don’t have expensive hobbies, we’ve given up all our season tickets, our kids are all out of the house and self sufficient and we have no debt. Las Vegas is our extravagance. We love the place.
    Them: I don’t gamble.
    Me: sigh..............

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  13. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Yep -- nailed it. Aside from my car hobby, I am relatively tame with expenses. Don't get me wrong, I love nice things, but I'd rather be thrifty and do bigger / better trips than just do something just to do something. Sorry, but if I'm going somewhere, I want to stay at the Rtiz or a Viceroy. For Vegas, I've stayed at Bally's, Harrah's and pH...and have done that Vegas...but, when you stay at Wynncore, it's a MUCH different and, dare I say, better Vegas.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have conversations with non Vegas fans.

They're boring and I don't need that kind of negativity in my life.:D

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Michael2780

Michael2780 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me talking to family who live with me.

Me: Booked a trip to Vegas.
    Family: Again. Why do you go to Vegas so much.
    Me: Its fun.
    Family: You have a gambling problem.
    Me: I budget well and never spend more than I plan. No problem whatsoever.
    Family: We are going to loose the house arn't we. How much debt are you in.
    Me: Sigh

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had to endure this nonsense as well.
    My standard comeback these days is:
    "Yeah... that's why my house is paid for, me & the wife's cars are paid for, we have zero debt of any kind & the wife was able to retire at 54."

• Love Love x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  17. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

This reminds me of one line from a movie that I thought was funny: "Shut up before I crush you with my wallet"

18. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The wife has tried to train me to not say stuff about our financial situation, but I sometimes can't help it - especially if somebody is suggesting that I've been irresponsible about money because I go to Vegas a couple of times a year.
    I've consistently told such folks that they should never gamble more than they can afford to lose...when I get the "Must be nice" reply, I typically reply with, "Yeah - it is."

One of the other fun things to hit them with is a query about how much they spent - for everything - on their last trip to anywhere... hotel, transportation, rent-car, drinks & meals, & whatever entertainment they enjoyed... the amount they tell me has always been more than any of my Vegas trips...always!
    My only "expenses" for Vegas are airport parking, Ubers while I'm there & whatever I might lose gambling.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. GrPa

GrPa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Deja vu! I use almost the same line except my wife will be retiring this summer at 56.

20. Horseplayer1

Horseplayer1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of my trips are solo, and I always get at least one or two other women who say "Aren't you afraid being alone there?". I say "Have you ever BEEN to Vegas? You're never alone. Even at night there are large amounts of people walking the strip , going the same direction I am. You are NEVER alone when you're outside of your hotel room. I feel much safer walking there at night than I do here at home. Actually never felt the least bit scared. I play the horses and the slots and that's kind of a one person operation anyway. I'd rather not have someone along who would get bored spending six hours in the Sports Book while I play my favorite tracks anyway.

As for the "Wish I could afford that " comments-I get comped or comped and just pay resort fees. Where could you stay in your hometown for 35-40$ that you would even consider? Even the Motel 6 is more than that, and that's where the mental health and drug rehab patients go after being released. Vegas is a great value.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.