1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Room security check

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by makikiboy, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiner18

shiner18 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were at Harrahs last month third afternoon a gal knocked on the door and wondered if she could check our phone. We had had the do not disturb sign up since we arrived. I don't mind them doing a security check, just wish she hadn't woke me up from my nap.

2. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got really annoyed by this at PH a couple of trips ago, because I stay there during the wind-down portion of my trips, so I could be getting much-needed sleep at any time. I don't really want housekeeping coming in and re-arranging shit, OR security disturbing me.

On that previous trip, I had left the DND sign out and yep, I got knocks from Security mid-late afternoon (not good) on days 3 and 5.

This last trip, the first morning, I noticed that housekeeping was in the hallway around 10:00am, which matches up OK with when I'm normally playing. So I took off the "Room Occupied" sign on days 3 and 5 and went down and played from about 8:30 - 11:00 both mornings and housekeeping came in while I was out, all they did was make the bed, which is fine with me. And no duplicate or wrong day checks from security. It looks to me like when housekeeping comes in, they punch the code in when they're done. Because the phone was on the opposite side of the bed than I was using and the lamp on that table was turned on both times when I came back to the room.

So it worked out OK. I still don't like it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  3. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I consider these “welfare checks” to be an egregious violation of privacy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why in the world would she check your PHONE?! WTF?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a habit much like @Geogran. When we’re in the room we flick the DND and the door lock handle. When we leave we turn it off. We’ve never had a security check we know about, but we get housekeeping twice a day. We started locking and turning on the DND because we once had some minibar checking asshole knock once and barge right through the door. Pissed me off. A lot. The cursory knock, one second delay and barge in is not even remotely ok.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think shiner means the maid punched in the "secret" code indicating the room had been "inspected" and no nuclear weapons found.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have not had a security check. We like staying in hotels because someone cleans up after us a bit, so the DND sign only goes up for those rough mornings after...

I don't leave money or valuables in the room.

Maybe I need more valuable stuff...nothing worth stealing in the room!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I get it. I’m old and easily confused, thrown way of by “Check our phone.” I was thinking, “For what? Cooties?”

9. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will mess with them the next time I have to go through a room check. like hey I'm not dressed give me a minute. And then see how long I can make them wait. JK JK I hate the room checks. A totally senseless exercise IMO. It will save no one and is too easy to work around if you want to do something bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. vegasnut

vegasnut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    strange that they didnt come in!!! i always stay at ballys and i couldnt say hey i dont need maidservgice every day..if you do leave dnd sign on your door for more than a day they will be comming knocking and they demand to get into your room to check even if you just showering tough luck they keep banging on the door if you a big criminal!!!!thats CET policy for you since 2018(after the Mandalay Bay shooting in oct 2017) so just advice put the dnd sign off at 11 am and let them clean your room otherwise the big bad security will come knock on your door!!! so no dont go green leave the lights on and have your room cleaned every day even if its not necessary ..:soapbox:

11. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just meant that she was probably looking for suspicious behavior. The date was 12/31 and the strip was going to be full of people that evening. I guess she was looking for weapons/explosives or whatever. The MB incident was gotten security on alert.

She did have to do something with our phone as well. I guess room checks have to be confirrmed used the phone in the room?? Not sure.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks.

13. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Presumably had they done a room check before the shooting they would have noticed a large cache of guns in the shooters room.

14. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They don't "check" the phone, they pick it up and punch in a number that registers an "all clear" for your room.

If you're in the room when CET security comes they will undo the swing latch if you don't answer. They have a pass that will get the door open and then it takes about 5 secs to undo the latch. If you do answer, they make you let them in.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never had any problems at Tuscany, I put the DND sign on and they just put a note under your door to call them if you need your room servicing before 3pm.

I'm not a early person in Vegas but usually out by early afternoon so room usually gets done and that keeps them happy.

16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a video a while back showing how easy the swing latch was to bypass, by using one of those plastic DND door tags. However, it also showed that if you duct tape the end of the swing latch to the door when it's closed, the trick will not work.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or something they wish they’d never seen and burned in their brain forever.

084F5052-462E-469C-BA1D-D29CAA2EBB2F.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure they have a tool for it. If you duct tape the latch and don't answer the door, you probably end up with Metro showing up and you getting kicked out and banned from CET.

It would be a useful tip in a place that doesn't require you to submit to security checks.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. whiskeyandslots

whiskeyandslots High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm gonna be pretty pissed if this ever happens when I'm naked.

We didn't have any problems on our last trip, but we let housekeeping come in every day. (Which my husband doesn't like...it really bothers him/makes him nervous to have people in our room with our "stuff" in there lol...he's a weirdo)

• Like Like x 1
  20. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sort of agree with hubby.
    Whether it is housekeeping or maintenance or security, the more people that enter your room, the greater the odds of something coming up missing.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.