1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Britney Spears Cancels Las Vegas Residency

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by ams722, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Britney Spears announced on Twitter that Domination has been canceled, citing her father's health.

http://www.newnownext.com/britney-spears-cancels-las-vegas-residency/01/2019/

But I have to wonder if poor ticket sales were really to blame. I was thinking about going to a February show, and there are still tons of tickets left. Whereas Lady Gaga sold out her first month of shows in the first week.

2. seneca7

seneca7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to say there aren't family concerns, but this could also be a face-saving move. Competing with Gaga at the same theater, would have been tough.

From Page Six, NY Post:

Oops. She shouldn’t have done it again.

A week after tickets went on sale for Britney Spears’ “Domination” concert series at the Park MGM in Las Vegas — fresh on the heels of a years long Vegas stint that ended last December — her first month of shows remains more than half unsold, sources told The Post.

By comparison, a 27-show stint for Lady Gaga that begins Dec. 28 at the same venue nearly sold out in the first week tickets were available. An Aerosmith residency that starts April 6 was 85 percent sold out in a week, according to sources.

3. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have seen this and you are really paying more for a show than a concert. I am not sure if she even sang one song when I was there but the show was great. I saw Gwen Stefani late last year and she did sing as far as I could tell. Great show and concert . I felt it was better than Brittany but Brittany was a good time. Even though those two acts are essentially billed the same, they are very different shows.

If you look at this as going to see a show in Vegas instead of a Brittany concert it might make you happier for the price you're paying.

I Like to Drink and Gamble
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. journaljim

journaljim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the shows aren't selling no surprise.

I posted this before I read she canceled . its due to lack of ticket sales I was at the venue a few weeks ago she was doing terrible and forget the fact she doesnt sing

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. MnNice22

MnNice22 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bought tickets when they came out. Hoping to get my refund soon.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  7. romeocasido

romeocasido High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She has a history of mental instability. I'm certain her father's illness played a key role in the decision to cancel. I believe her dad was also her lawyer and conservator which I interpret to mean that she relied on him as a pillar of stability in her life and someone she can truly trust in an industry where everyone is trying to exploit you.

The show not selling wasn't her problem. She signed a deal with guaranteed money. The show not selling was MGM's problem. And given the mental history of Britney, MGM probably had that production pretty well insured anticipating an incident like this... so hopefully they recoup most if not all their expenses.

And only idiots see the Britney show expecting a well put together person and amazing vocals. Everyone I know that saw Britney knew full well going in that she's a wreck and lip sync's everything and you know what? they were damn happy about it. Didn't care one bit. That show sold out for 4 years straight with that type of audience

Queen, Aerosmith, JLO, Boyz II Men, Mariah... none of 'em have it anymore. It's a cash grab by broke artists who didn't manage their finances correctly or by artists who refuse to let the spotlight fade on them. I'm sure fat Elvis was no where near what he was able to do during his hound dog days.. We go because of the nostalgia. We go because it makes us happy to sing tunes we remember during our youth.

8. BenjaminNicholas

BenjaminNicholas MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Based on the sales so far, I think this was a very smart, very calculated move. Gaga is eating Brit's lunch.

Her father has been on the mend for awhile now. The emergency was last year and he pulled through fine.

9. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    None of those mentioned are broke, in fact they have a net worth totalling millions of Dollars. I have watched a lot shows in Vegas, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Shania Twain, Mariah, The Who, Tom Jones. I would of not seen any of these if I wasn't in Vegas and every show I have watched has been worth it. Britany may have suffered from an overkill after what was a very successful show at PH. Maybe that's why CET didn't strive too much to get her back, they dropped her in MGM's lap and they took it. It will be interesting to see how this goes after her father hopefully gets back to good health. Will the shows be put back on at a time where maybe she is not going up against a big headliner at Park MGM.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Queen is still a huge draw, particularly now with their film being a big success.

11. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw them at the T-Mobile a couple years ago, and they were mustard.

Boyz II Men are really good, too.

12. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mustard? Like Yellow? Dijon? Chinese Hot?

13. boboswisher

boboswisher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya, not trying to be a dick, but is "they were mustard" a thing that is supposed to mean something apparent to anyone ??

14. Timbuck

Timbuck Low-Roller

Mustard on a hot dog = good.
    Mustard on a sandwich = ok.
    Mustard on a ribeye or a bowl of cereal= terrible.

What use case are we referring to above?

15. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I once dated this girl, she was a hot biscuit with gravy.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see Marky is from England, "mustard" must be British slang, but I literally have no idea if he thought that present-day Queen was awesome or terrible...:haha:

EDIT: seeing that he also wrote Boyz II Men are "really good, too" must mean that Queen was also good. Yay context clues!

I will be sure to avoid any act that Marky refers to as "ketchup"...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CTUG?

18. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha, my bad... I guess it's just something that's only familiar this side of the pond :)

As in good, not as food, but naming or calling something 'mustard' means it's good.

'Last night was mustard'

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should of said they were the dogs bollocks lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. 2tweetz

2tweetz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My guess, Britney will be back late in 2019 or early 2020. I saw her show at PH and I enjoyed it. I was never a big fan but I knew enough of her songs and the price was right. I knew she didn't sing live much, (although there was more live singing than I expected! ) but the dancing, costume changes and production were very entertaining. Her audience was lots of fun too, especially the many fans ho dressed up like Brittney's characters in her videos. Many of these fans are guys! LOL I think she needed a longer break in between shows and I was actually surprised she popped up at Park MGM so soon, so this is not surprising to me. Plus Park MGM is charging too much for a most of their shows. I would have seen Britney again since her ticket price was affordable. I would love to see Lady Gaga but I can't justify her ticket prices, which are ridiculous! She'll be back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.