1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tetrazzini question

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by notfromconcentrate, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chicken Tetrazzini has cheese in it. Chicken a la King does not.
    Both good versions start with a rue (butter/flour then cream) complimented with the magical trio of vegetables (onions/carrots/celery...unless you're in the Bayou where it's onions/gr peppers/celery) and herbs de province (typical herbs of bay leaves, thyme, sage, salt and pepper, etc). [For Tetrazzini you would add Parmesan cheese or shredded chedder.] Add peas, mushrooms and your pre-cooked cubed chicken or turkey and voila...you have it. (adding a little white wine is optional)
    1950s version...open a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup. Add a package of frozen peas and carrots and heat on stove. Add a can of sliced mushrooms, some pre-shredded cheese, your cubed left over turkey and voila...an abomination.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One is Italian, the other ain't.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't realize chicken a la king was Italian.

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still use canned condensed soup in a number of recipes. It adds a lot of flavor/umami.

5. smerrian

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, it adds the saucy texture you want. The soups are almost tasteless. If you want memorable cooking, learn to make a rue.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Turkey Tetrazzini MREs were pretty good.

• Like Like x 2
  7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My niece hosted Thanksgiving, there was a run on Roasted Brussels Sprouts but plenty of leftover green bean casserole.

@notfromconcentrate, I clicked on some link to old restaurant menus from Vegas, it’s interesting to see what was offered back in the 50’s. Something like Chicken Croquettes....now this is coming around in some “hip” gastropubs. I guess it has always been popular in Cuban or Hispanic restaurants. Twenty years ago we could buy Weaver chicken croquettes in the frozen food section of the grocery store, but they are no more.

8. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now chicken croquettes, I have heard of :) I wonder if it’s a similar notion of nostalgia that brought it back, or its objective merits of taste.

Funny that you mention old Vegas restaurant menus... one of my stops this trip is going to be to a UNLV library at which they have a collection of old Vegas relics, to include restaurant menus. That could reveal some very interesting finds, perhaps even to include Tetrazzini.

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Mom made Salmon croquettes that we’re the bomb.

10. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Found Chicken a la King on the old Sands menu.
    https://gaming.unlv.edu/dining/classic.html

11. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

Breeze’s Chicken a la’ King.

• Like Like x 4
  12. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A real plate, you’re upping your game, Breeze! :poke:

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. smerrian

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband still makes them. We have them about once a month. Made from CANNED salmon. Todays standards would require ground fresh salmon. As for his salmon croquettes, I tolerate them but if he never makes them again I wouldn't put up a fight. I'm not too keen on chicken croquettes, either. I'd eat them because I'll eat anything, but I would never pay for them in a restaurant.

14. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’d eat the hell outta that!

15. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a big article in the Journal last week about how millennials are killing canned tuna. I think it's because canned tuna is awful, but that's just me.

16. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damnit, somebody said Ambroisa and now I want some Divinity. (drool, dead serious, best candy ever)

I hadn't even thought about T Tet since middle school days, then my wife brought it up last week.

Sweet Taters with marshmellows, pecans and a shit ton of brown sugar are good eats imo.

Now how about some canned tuna, boiled eggs and potato chips? Tuna cassarole is what my wife calls it, and for a guy that detests canned tuna (ahi only thank you) I'll eat that stuff up.

No reason to go home yet.
  17. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @notfromconcentrate After reading the above, I can't help myself from recommending an interesting series from CBC. If you didn't catch it airing this summer, I really think you'd enjoy the 7 episode series "Back In Time For Dinner". It's really fascinating.

The Campus family is about to go on a unique time-travelling adventure.

Back In Time For Dinner — which debuts Thursday June 14 at 8 p.m. (8:30 NT) on CBC — takes one intrepid Canadian family of five on a time-travelling journey of a lifetime. Guided by host Carlo Rota, the Campus family will live through a new decade of Canadian life, as they take on iconic trends in food, design and domestic gadgetry from the 1940s through to the 1990s.

The Campus family, from Southern Ontario, is embarking on this unique challenge, giving up their modern diets and ways of life for six weeks to find out how the changing world has dramatically affected society's eating habits and domestic lives over a 60-year period. Their own suburban semi-detached home will be their time machine as it's meticulously transformed in every episode to reflect a new decade. Every detail will be accounted for, from decor, to technology, to cooking implements.

More info here: https://www.cbc.ca/life/backintimefordinner/back-in-time-for-dinner-takes-canadian-family-on-a-journey-through-the-decades-1.4633378

The series goes through the evolution of daily living with an ice box to the changes that happened to family life with the introduction of canned goods, TV dinners, microwaves...and lots of other interesting trends. I won't say more but I do think you (and others) would really enjoy it.

I just see there is a new Christmas episode showing traditions from the 40's through to the 2000's. I'm going to watch it as soon as the Canuck's finish beating Nashville tonight. ;)

You can watch and see the episodes here: https://watch.cbc.ca/season/back-in-time-for-dinner/season-1/044cb8fc-975d-487f-ae37-1c7edbc0b121

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    talk about serendippity....

turned on triple d this afternoon for something on while doing stuff...

guy is at a place called earls diner and guess what they are making....yup chicken ala king

if you want to google it the episode is called twists and traditions

19. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are so many good restaurants in Vegas, why settle for something that may just be ordinary. Make Giada’s recipe or look for a restaurant that makes it in your home city.

Those 50s/60s/70s recipes were considered exotic in their day. Not the standard plate of meat, potatoes and a vegetable.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They were kind enough to send me a photo on Instagram by request... here it is.

I’m glad I asked, because this doesn’t appear to be baked, as I had envisioned it. So I’m not sold on it, for better or for worse.

[​IMG]

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.