1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Why Are Southwest's Airfares So High?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Connell, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    exactly.
    in some markets, where they don't have much competition, even their best sales are not much of a price break.

2. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those travel credits are good for a year but any ticket you use them on gets the old date as the start of the year, based on the disclaimer I read yesterday when booking a flight. I had $17 for a ticket purchased yesterday but did not use it because of that date issue. I like dealing with points much better!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For that much cabbage you might be able to snag a discount flight to Europe on Norwegian or Wow. It's your money. Smell the market and exploit the soft spots. Vegas isn't going anywhere.

4. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in the same boat. Looking at end up June first week of July and though Frontier put up flights for 39 it must have been a mistake as they jumped to 139 the next day and have gone higher since. Hoping they will come down in a few months as we will not pay 400 for round trip tickets.

NYNY,Cannery,Sam's Town Jun4-11
  5. mike honcho

mike honcho Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sign up for frontier deal emails. I get them all the time and using the promo code in the emails can save you a bunch. I would bet you can get round trip for 2 people for about $200 total with a personal item only as baggage.W have done east coast to vegas direct 2 times in last 4 months for under $250 all in for 2 people with stretch seats. I have found frontier is good for flights like a month out the long term calendar 6 months out is not as much of a good deal.

6. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    frontier does sales all the time, too.

7. oldbrewzer

oldbrewzer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been watching the June/July/August fares from SWA also, and they have not changed since they were originally posted. History tells me they will reduce them at some point. We check almost daily. We prefer to book the farthest out flight dates with points, since there is a good chance the fares will be lowered and we don't have to worry about dealing with a refund balance and the associated rules. We have even bought some points(when SWA offered a discount on them), in order to utilize their flexibility vs. cash/credit purchases. If we don't mind flying the early/late direct flights, we can almost always find cheap flights out of Austin.

8. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to check and rebook my SWA flights all of the time, but I seldom see a lower fare these days. Also, I’m pretty sure a rebook kills your spot in the Early Bird line.

9. fischer

fischer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We booked Albany to Vegas (MDW in the middle) for Jan 6th and it was $375 RT, Southwest.

10. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Odds are that fare will go down soon. I would wait for a better sale to really hunt for MDW to LAS. the regular fare is pretty high but you can still catch a deal .

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True - for that that do not fly often. We fly almost once a month it seems, so we make use of those "travel funds". If you use points from a credit card, they are valid for way longer.

Side note - if you do not get at least one SW credit card a year - your really missing out on free flights.

13. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    prices havent gone up on southwest for me...my friend actually got a deal round trip NOLA to denver for $80, other than that its always normal prices in the high $200s, Low $300s...just booked end of march trip, waited it out and was $280 before I used cash and points. $140 RT for me...

usually pay $300RT give or take a few

14. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SMF to LAS has steadily jumped quite a bit over the last couple of years...No competition. Contemplating driving to Oakland or SF to take advantage of the $49 fares, but that crawling bay area traffic drives me crazy.

15. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was checking prices out of MDW also for May. Same thing. Prices are high. Southwest has no competition out of MIdway so we are at their mercy. Best to keep checking prices and hope they drop enough to catch a decent price.

16. weas

weas Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Vegas Deals

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My February fares from Houston went down. $173. round trip or about 10,000 pts. Lowest I have seen in a long time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2018
  17. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yikes - these threads remind me to keep checking. My April round trip from Austin just dropped to $152 - less than 9000 points. Haven’t seen that price in ten years....

18. TheBlackjackKing

TheBlackjackKing Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $300 is actually an amazing price, I'd take that in a hurry

19. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheapest airfare is always booked 6-8 weeks in advance for travel on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

20. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Several weeks ago SW had a sale; EWR-LAS for $137.50 RT. We booked for Super Bowl and another trip in April. They no longer have non stops from either EWR or PHL so we don't have much of a choice in that regard. For that price, however, I 'll put with making a stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.