1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Why Are Southwest's Airfares So High?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Connell, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Connell

Connell Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was recently checking Southwest's airfares roundtrip from Chicago(Midway) to Las Vegas for dates in June, and the cheapest price was $336.00! That is so much higher than usual. Does anyone know the reason for the increase? Do you think they will offer a sale soon? I can't remember paying more than $300 for a round-trip fare! I actually thought the low price of oil would translate to cheaper fares! I guess I was wrong!
    Connell

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Supply and demand.

In my area (SF Bay Area) they have $49.00 airfares to LV.

Oil and fuel contracts are made several months (perhaps years) in advance, and the price they paid for fuel would be at the last contract price (and who knows what that was).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DDB

DDB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been watching SW out of MDW too. My preferred flight started at $295, now it is $335. I'm not gonna panic though, but will keep checking. Earlier this year I snagged round trip to LAS for $80 - just happened to check fares at the right time.

I also looked at Expedia, they had Frontier and Spirit really cheap but the flight times suck and once you add in all the fees it was approaching the SW fares.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The fares will always be as high as they can set them, and still sell out most of the plane.

Supply and demand, competition, and good business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No need to wait for a sale with SW, just book once you are fairly certain of your dates, then rebook if the price drops.

Since SW charges no fees to change or cancel your flight, there is literally no reason not to book as soon as possible. Your price can only go down once you are booked, but if you wait, there's also a chance it will go up.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. Eleven99isFine

Eleven99isFine VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    June is a long way from now.

7. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It depends upon the competition they face, but SW is trying to make money on their direct routes with limited competition. They also have quarterly sales where values get better

8. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's like hotel rooms. One week they're $200/night. A week later, they're $59/night. And the prices are always changing. It just depends on the demand.

9. callahanha

callahanha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just booked my July 23 -30 trip, Albany NY - Las Vegas for $265 round trip. I just looked today and the same flights are now $345. Since they just ended a sale, wait about 2 weeks and they will have another. I recommend checking a few times a week though

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just booked July 27 - got it with points. The return is expensive, so I will either wait til I accumulate enough points or get lucky for a $150 return to BWI.

July 19th - July 24th
  11. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    remember you can always rebook if the flight out goes down to recapture the points

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they refunded actual money, I would agree with you. But the "refund" is a credit. I imagine millions of dollars worth of credits expire unused each year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  13. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But I still did the SW change when my fare dropped from $109 which I was happy with to $79 which I was very happy with.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Craps all day

Craps all day Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, but you're "forced" to plan another Vegas trip!

Kind of like making sure you bet a few parlays on your way out of town so you have to come back to redeem them. I suspect there's only a fraction of non-gambling spouces that know you can mail them in.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BTSyndrome

BTSyndrome Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booked (nonstop) March Madness 20-25th as soon as the calendar opened with points but equivalent in $$ = $298, As of today it is now $546.
    I don't expect it to come down anywhere near what I snagged it for before we go. (Maybe close to $360 or so)

For my city, even looking at the calendar to the end of August the cheapest outbound is 7,095 pts. My outbound was booked at 6,878 pts
    Recent article I read backing what people are seeing.
    https://www.nasdaq.com/article/cost-creep-at-southwest-airlines-will-help-its-rivals-in-2019-cm1063457

16. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I suppose my original statement wouldn't apply to folks that don't typically travel at least once per year, as I think that's how long the credit is good for...

17. HoppinHardWays

HoppinHardWays VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Play around with days and dates to see if it fluctuates or not. Anymore I consider anything under $400 per person a good price.

Labor Day!
  18. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

The main reason the fare is so high is to catch suckers who will pay an inflated fare. SWA still has six months to adjust if the suckers aren't lining up for the $336 fare.
    Industry standard for best available fare is about 45 days out. I suggest waiting them out.

19. Vegas28m

Vegas28m Medium Roller, Chicago

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you have to use the funds from a SW change ticket within a year from the ORIGINAL date of booking. If booked with points, those go back into your account,

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it's also true that people who travel 2-4 times a year for personal reasons may use different airlines to get the best price, lowering that value. I would hold off, personally, for that reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.