1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dollar and Thrifty car rentals versus Alamo

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Vegas Insight, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like using Alamo, and since I book through Costco typically, it's one of the few options I consider. More important, I rarely find a lower rate anywhere else, other than via Budget/Costco, but I'd rather pay an extra $10-15 for Alamo, because I like choosing from a dozen or more cars, not being told the model and color I'm getting.

That said, Alamo's rates aren't coming down like Budget. I signed up for Budget's Fastbreak so that at least I don't have to be harassed at the counter. (Alamo's kiosks for check in are another reason I prefer Alamo over Budget.)

So right now I could save $40 on my rental if I go with Budget instead of Alamo, and the difference is $50 if I opt for Dollar or Thrifty. (I haven't seen rates this low in many years, if ever... less than $20/day for a full-size vehicle.)

Anyone have any Dollar or Thrifty tips, or pros and cons, to help with my deliberations?

2. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dollar Express is your friend....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep checking the web sites up until your trip. I find the car rental rates change regularly (daily sometimes and sometimes during the day) so best to keep checking for lower rates.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sometimes check rates 5 times in the same day.

5. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have used Hotwire almost exclusively for the last 10 - 15 years. We don't know in advance which company we will get , but the rates are Always substantially lower than on the companies' websites. We have been assigned almost every one of the major companies represented in LV at one time or another. There has been little difference with any of the companies, with one exception - Budget. We fortunately have only gotten a Budget vehicle one time, and spent an hour and a half at their counter. Only one person was in line ahead of us, but the lady was refusing to rent to them or to us without us purchasing the full coverage insurance. Fortunately we had our papers for outside coverage, in addition to our credit card and in addition to our regular insurance which also covers us in rental vehicles. Even so, she still stalled us for a half hour before finally letting us have a car. If it hadn't been prepaid, we would have walked. We are currently in LV in a Thrifty vehicle - a Ford Fusion Hybrid.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 A Diamond in the Ruff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if this will help, but here is my experience.

Have been renting from Alamo and National for several years, and being able to bypass the counter AND pick from several different cars (and sometimes even being upgraded for free) has been very nice. However, for our last trip in August, I was able to get a car from budget for $70 less than National (Alamo's prices weren't even close!!!). Wasn't too happy that National didn't come through on the price this time, but went ahead with Budget. Was already signed up with Fastbreak, so was able to head right out to the garage and find my car. Ended up being a decent experience, with no complaints.

Personally, if the difference is only $10 between Budget and Dollar or Thrifty, I would go with Budget.

7. Bobby B

Bobby B High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely join Dollar's club. Also, try Corp ID 3000020, which is for AAA Chicago Motor Club. I doubt they'd ask for proof (they don't when booking). This may save a bit more.

8. Bigou101

Bigou101 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it possible to skip the counter line if you book through Costco when renting with Alamo? I noticed that you cannot give your Alamo member number when renting trough Costco. How to overcome this problem? Thanks

9. LindaS

LindaS Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rent from Alamo through Costco and always do the skip the line.A day or 2 before the trip go to the Alamo website and Costco gives you a Costco confirmation number and a Alamo confirmation number.Put the Alamo confirmation number in and your reservation will come up.You then put you credit card information in and driver information and I print everything.Skip the line and go right to wear Alamo has the cars and someone will direct you to the proper area for the type of car you rented.Have you credit card out and drivers license out and show it to the person at the window and off you go.If you want to cancel your reservation after you have finalized your rental you would have to call them because you can't do it online so that is why I wait until a day or 2 before.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bigou101

Bigou101 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you LindaS. These informations were very helpful.

11. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have any tips, unfortunately. However, I always rent with Alamo. I love their service at McCarran and haven't have much trouble renting with them. So I always use them. For me, even if I have to pay more, I like the convenience and the ability to choose my car and the go directly to your car type of thing.

12. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great information! I most always use Alamo because I love choosing my car. I have used the kiosk with no issues, but I didn't realize I could even skip that step by checking in online. THANK YOU!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great minds think alike, evidently.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kcitsme

Kcitsme Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here are a couple of codes that work with Alamo that may help you too. I rented for December and have a full sized at $133.00 total for seven days. I am also holding a mid sized SUV for $179. I have been checking daily for the past two months and have cancelled and re-booked several times. I leave in a couple of days so I think this is good as it is going to get.
    Try these coupons and ID's to see which gives you the best deal. Remember that Alamo has a space on the reservation for your Costco ID number and I could not finish my reservation without it. I am a member so it was not a problem.
    Good Luck!
    COUPON CODES
    AD2823JAZ
    AD3868JST
    AD8698SDF
    AD2844JZJ
    CONTRACT ID
    7014629 ALAMO
    7014627 COSTCO
    7015504 VISA
    7013993 MASTER CARD
    7014291 AMERICAN EXPRESS

15. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use Costco for most rentals. The lowest price is usually Alamo, but sometimes others are lower.

The main reasons I use Costco are low cost and the second driver added free. That is good for us because we both need to drive on longer stays in Florida. I have even used one of the older kids as the second driver when at Disney, since they like to go out to the parks without us some evenings.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the info regarding car rental options. I was disappointed that I didn't get to use Alamo, but they were $50 more than Dollar...their price just didn't come close enough to Dollar. Budget came close, and usually Alamo is within $10 of Budget when the time comes, but not this year.

Autoslash helped me find my best rate via Dollar. I hadn't had much luck with Autoslash in the past, so thanks for the encouragement to try it again. And thanks to the suggestion of using Dollar's version of "fast break," I did indeed pre-load my info and quickly pick up my vehicle without the counter. It took a minute at the garage desk, as it was my first "fast break," but overall it was way too easy. I've gotta set that up with Alamo the next time I use them.

I was worried that, like Budget (at least in the past at McCarren) I'd get assigned a car, with no choice of its color. (I really dislike white cars.) Alamo let me choose the vehicle, thankfully. There wasn't a lot of choice, and a full size car at Alamo might include a Chrysler 200, according to my online reservation, but there wasn't a 200 to be had. Mostly Camrys and some sort of Kia vehicle that looked a little boxy. I went with the familiarity of a Camry. Grey with 30,000 miles. No complaints. $108 plus gas for six days. Best daily rate I've had in quite some time.

17. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rent exclusively with Dollar and I check weekly for rate decreases. For my trip next week, I originally booked October 19 for $131.45. Today, my reservation is $68.39.

I would imagine all car rental companies have fluctuating rates, you just have to check rates periodically.

18. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i don't know how often others check for new rates, but i check about 200 times during the two months prior to departure. i might be on the high end, but deals come and go so quickly that i can't resist checking at least three times a day, sometimes more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.