$20 Planet Hollywood

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Laostuh

Laostuh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reporting back from recent trip May 17 - May 21 EDC weekend. Had Ultra Hip Room already booked. Checked in with guy in his mid 20s wasn't really targeting anyone was just hoping not to get the lady that already looked pretty angry. Made small talk slipped the ID/$100/CC and as soon as he saw the $100 he was like "whoa what is this man?" ... I just smiled and asked if he had any complimentary upgrades to a "Panoramic Strip View" .. He says let me see what I can do for you... Starts typing away goes to the back for a few minutes only to come back and say "they are restricted from upgrades because of EDC weekend" .. Bummer so he hands me back my $100 and I asked if he had something bigger than what we originally booked. Starts typing again and says he can either get me a view upgrade or a slightly bigger room with the 2 queen beds.. He called it the "Resort Room" .. Felt like I was in a Hip Room with extra bed. Gave him a $30 tip for helping anyways.. First time it did not go through at PH for me :-( ...

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. KDean

KDean Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had good luck here with the $20 sandwich the last three visits. In the previous trips I've only been getting one room this trip starting Sunday I have two rooms on my reservation. Is it a good idea to tip $40 so it would be $20 per room or just stick with the $20 total?

3. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think $20 per room would be fair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently did this at PH at the diamond lounge on comped nights.
    During check in the 2nd clerk was leaving her shift and it would be just me and the clerk all alone to finish the check in process.
    I asked if they happened to have a bigger room available (than the ultra resort i had booked)
    As the clerk started to type away into the computer I handed over 100 dollar bill in hopes to get a suite.......
    While she said it was a "mini suite"... upon getting to the room it wasn't.
    It was the ultra resort "vista" room.... i.e better view. and nice view from the bathtub too.

This would be a 0/1 attempt imo. While I did like this small upgrade, I would never tip 100 for it. Some blame could be on myself for not specifically asking only for a suite.

But it was for 6 comped nights... so 100/6 comes to about 16.67 /night for the upgrade. not terrible. but not great either.

Previous trips a suite upgrade was offered on comp nights for 50/night for a real suite. Still not worth it for me when I go solo.

The clerk earned 100 on 3 minutes of "work".

5. gs32794

gs32794 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $20 Tricked. When checking in I did not do the trick, but asked the FDC if there were any complementary upgrades on my base room. We discussed base Ultra Hip with fountain view, Resort room, and Resort Vista, but it was non smoking. I chose Resort, asked again if complementary, and tipped him $20 after the fact.

Good thing I went with the Resort and not the Vista because when I called down to have my RCs taken off the bill it was $42 more than I expected. I had been charged the upgrade fee. Felt like I was over a barrel and couldn't complain as I had tried to work the system. I've done the actual sandwich and tipping after the fact at Caesars with the desired outcome. In the future I will plainly ask "is there any charge for this?"

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  6. gottaluvkd

gottaluvkd Newbie

Any insight on SEMA week/end? Heading there Nov 1-4 and curious whether anyone has had experience with the trick during SEMA?

Hoping to get a 2bdrm pano suite.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't try the $20 trick, but my guess is you are not being realistic. The rack rate on a two bedroom pano suite is typically over $1000 a night. I would be stunned if a $20 sandwich gets you that kind of upgrade

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jstyle20

jstyle20 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea there is no chance of this happening with a Pano suite at any time, but for certain not on a weekend. My last time at PH, I had a comped Hip room, slipped the $20, and asked what a Strip Suite would cost me. The clerk returned and told me they could do $30/night, which was well worth it for 3 nights, but it still wasn't a complimentary upgrade. I will be there during the same stay (Nov 1-5), and will throw a hail mary up, but there is no hope of a Panoramic Suite. Sorry.

• Love Love x 1
  9. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked in on the 5 a bit before 11am, had basic room , gave the guy 20$ all i asked for was higher floor, away from elevator with an empty fridge, he gave me all that +what he called a premium view( Eiffel Tower and bellagio fountains) and of course he didnt charge me the early check in fee

10. KDean

KDean Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got a diamond card and have had 100% success with the $20 tip in the platinum line anyone have experience with diamond check in?

11. Loluvsvegas

Loluvsvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    anyone try this recently? Never stayed at PHo... Have a ultra hip comped for 5 nights, and just became diamond, what should I ask for?

12. AceRothstein80

AceRothstein80 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I received the ultimate hookup for my 2 night stay last week. I only had a $10 on me, other than $100s, so I said, oh well let's try it with $10. I got bumped up from a run of the mill 2 bedroom Queen, to a very nice Suite. It had 2 wraparound couches, dining room table, a small kitchen bar, 1br with King and a bath, and an additional bathroom in the main area. Good view of Marquee day club pool and Bellagio Fountains too!

• Like Like x 1
  13. fcmonk

fcmonk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gave the fella checking us in the $20 sandwich, and he said something like "I can't take a bribe, but I can take it as a gratuity for excellent service." He then put the $20 out in the open so the camera could see it and bumped us up to a high-floor fountain view room with a tub by a window facing the fountains as well!

• Like Like x 3
  14. TheRealFlamingo

TheRealFlamingo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed here Memorial & Labor day weekend. Can confirm in Diamond check in that $20 got me from standard room, to the massive 'Resort' rooms. TONS of space, highly worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RxBob

RxBob Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20 dollar trick worked. Top floor strip view!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. romeocasido

romeocasido High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really? Hollywood Hip room (standard room) and Ultra Resort room look almost identical in size and amenities on youtube videos. Just seems like Ultra resort gives you two windows and two sinks instead of one..

17. romeocasido

romeocasido High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, just came back from a trip where we stayed at PH. Ultra resort rooms are def worth the $20 tip trick... The room is significantly bigger than Hip rooms

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. CMUCPA14

CMUCPA14 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Staying at PH Wed-Sat afternoon for MM... have the room partially comped for 3 nights. I’m gonna try $100 to get to a low level suite and will report back if it is successful.

• Like Like x 2
  19. CMUCPA14

CMUCPA14 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well... not a surprise but didn’t work. Went in to diamond lounge the second they opened on 3/20/19 at 8am. Got an older lady and made small talk. Said our room wouldn’t be ready for a while, since they were at full capacity. Didn’t even get a chance to formally do the sandwich, as she didn’t give me the opportunity. However, I told her I would “give her a VERY” nice tip if she could get us into a suite with a $100 sitting on my wallet. She seemed to get the message and was typing away furiously for 2-3 minutes. Seemed to finally find something, but let out a loud “UGH someone just took the room I wanted to grab” and looked defeated. Settled on a high floor resort room w a strip view. Gave her $20 for the troubles anyways.

20. Joe12794

Joe12794 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Diamond card holder here. I have a King size hip room booked fully comped for a Sun-Fri. What room should I attempt to upgrade to realistically?