1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Momofuku (Cosmopolitan)... anyone eaten there? Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by DaiLun, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, so this next trip will be solo, and no CET, mLife is optional, so, I figure that if I'm gonna spend $$$ for a meal, I may as well try somewhere that I want to go, so Momofuku. I just bought David Chang's book, and now I'm interested in trying his food.

Looking for recommendations from anyone who's eaten there and doesn't have a P.F. Chang's palate. :rolleyes:

Just kidding with that last statement . . . .

:feedme: :feedme: :feedme: :feedme:

2. sharper

sharper Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The pork bun and chicken bun were great and their version of the old fashion was great too. I had their cod tooand really liked that as well. It’s a great place. I liked Zuma a little better but Momofuku is great.

3. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will take the minority view and recommend going somewhere else. I had heard great things about this place and then when I finally tried it, I thought the food was average at best. My partner enjoyed it even less. So I can't really help you @DaiLun other than to suggest trying Catch instead for something new (if mlife remains an option). Or try Zuma if you gotta eat Cosmo. I thought Zuma was excellent

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @UKFanatic - Thank you for the heads up. mLife is definitely in play and I will consider Catch (Aria).

I guess if I want to try David Chang's food, I'll have to cook it myself. I told my 16 year old that he needs to pick one thing out of the cookbook and I will cook it for him.

@sharper - I appreciate your opinion too, and will still consider it.

5. HHFan

HHFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wife and I sat at the kitchen counter this summer and really enjoyed ourselves. I’d warmed up to Chang a bit with some of his more recent stuff, so I finally wanted to give one of his places a shot.

Spicy Cucumber - tasting portion from the chef, wouldn’t have ever ordered this and it was surprisingly good

Pork Belly Buns - delicious

Waygu Potatoes - not convinced this was a great way to highlight the Waygu. I’d probably see if I could just order the potatoes on a return visit as those were good.

Ginger Scallion Noodles - amazing and hit the spot perfectly for us that evening. We don’t order noodle dishes often and have limited experience with good noodles (pretty much just here and China poblano), so I can’t compare to much

Asian is kind of a blind spot for us in general, so take the above with a big grain of salt. I know you are much more passionate and have a lot more experience with this cuisine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm forced to agree with UKFanatic. I had tried one of Chang's restaurants in New York, and enjoyed it a lot. Momofuku was a disappointment. I even tried it a second time, in case the first was a fluke, but no luck. It's not that the food is bad; it's just not special.

One dish I remember was chilled spicy noodles. It was OK, but suffered from some flaws, including: so many candied cashews that it seemed like dessert (I scraped a bunch off to one side); it wasn't very spicy, as if they had dumbed it down for the Las Vegas crowd.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first question you need to ask yourself for David Chang's food in general: do you like umami? His food tends to be strong on the umami flavors (which I love, but may not be for everyone).

That said, absolutely loved the pork buns there. Also a big fan of the pork belly ramen. Only tried a couple of other dishes, which I thought were good, but nothing I considered a must have

8. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also had pork belly ramen.
    It was good, but I guess I had expected some magical enlightening food nirvana moment..... that just didn’t happen.
    But ark, I still think David Chang is my food spiritual animal lol! I will try something completely random next time.

9. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pork belly ramen sounds delicious. A perfect place for lunch or "siu yeh" (midnight snack) on my early January trip.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. sharper

sharper Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this is 100% the right course of action. You’ll love it for lunch.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  11. Retrobabble

Retrobabble CVF #37500: Director of Fun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going again in December. Pork buns were delicious. Looking forward to other items next time.

12. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The house sake is the best I've had. After $600 meal and group discussion we wouldn't go back.....its good but not worth the premium pricing.

13. mickyblueeyes

mickyblueeyes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about Red Plate?

14. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Red Plate is only open for dinner, and IMHO, Chinese dinner is best experienced "family style" (i.e. 2 or more).

However, thanks for the suggestion!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.