1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Trying New Boarding Process

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by runningonthehub, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have done that in other markets for at least a few years. I have done it at FFL

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would only use it if the destination airport had forward and aft deplaning, line Burbank.

4. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They never went with my suggestion. Give everyone A1 and it is survival of the fittest :)

Annual me and Pete
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s pretty easy, you just turn the plane around and board from the rear. Early boarders will walk to the front of the plane before clogging the aisles. You’re welcome.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of those jet bridge stairs can be pretty unstable, especially if you load them up with a bunch of people carrying bags. They have open risers, and very aggressive open grip treads. Very easy to trip. There have been injuries to airline employees in the past, and we are used to going up and down them, every day. SW will give up on this boarding method, when someone falls and breaks their neck.

7. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The better solution is to charge some token amount for each "carry-on"...say, $5 unless it fits under your seat.
    The entire reason why C & D boarders are problematic is the overhead storage bin space. With free checked bags, charging $5 for carry-ons would eliminate that problem.

Another alternative is, instead of going by group-letters (A, B & C), board by seat type - "Window" first, then middle-seats, then aisles. "Middle-seaters" would be free to take any open window seats before the "aisle" passengers board. If there are still open aisle seats after that, I guarantee that the middle-seaters in those rows will shift over to the aisle.
    Each of those categories is a known quantity. Obviously, the windows & aisles will go first - and it may seem weird to let the middle-seat passengers board as the "second" group, but if you think about it, it would work...the only issue would be with overhead bin space... so, this, in conjunction with a charge for carry-ons, would be the perfect (IMO) boarding alternative for SW.
    No need for "early bird" or "A-List" boarding fees...

Annual Spring Trip!
  8. Eleven99isFine

Eleven99isFine VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest flights would board faster if they cracked down on the seat saving. Flight attendants need to police that bad behavior.

• Agree Agree x 8
  9. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I respectfully disagree that seat saving slows boarding, it may be an annoyance to some, but of the many flights I have been on I’ve never seen it slow down boarding and I have seen FA’s accommodate it. One time (we were both EB) my husband had to go to the RR before boarding so he got on later and the FA stood in his seat next to me til he got there. I would never begrudge a person saving a seat for another person, I’d just move on.

IMO it’s the multiple pieces of luggage and carryon’s and pokey dokeys causing the aisle congestion that slows everything down, I’m surprised SWA ever leaves ‘on time’.

Charge $25 for every item that goes in the overhead or check it for free. That might solve the problem.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  10. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Completely agree with you on this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest makes their extra money on boarding priority, other airlines make their money on bags. Therefore a person with an A pass saving a seat for their partner with a C pass is basically stealing that seat priority from everyone in between. My last flight I was in aisle 7 and watched the person in aisle 6 explain to about one hundred twenty people that the empty seat was ‘saved’. If this person would have simply walked to the rear of the plane they could have insured their goal of two seats together without being a huge annoyance to every other boarder.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the next airport you would have to board at the front, and alternate at every stop. Otherwise the A1-15s would stay at the back, not solving the problem. Can a jetway attach to the rear of the plane? Why is this the first time I have ever heard of this brilliant idea?

On the other hand, if I am traveling solo on a short flight, I usually take the first available seat, which is a middle in row 2-4 if I am in group B or C, so I can make a quick exit. With alternate boarding I would be causing the problem, walking to the far end and possibly not finding any seats and then moving back against traffic.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  13. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    as long as the plane takes off on time I ok with how ever the plane is boarded.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is a novel idea that I am not sure if ever tried - assign seats when you purchase a ticket!

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant does (used to?) this at Grand Island where they don't have jetways, or at least they do (did?) on the older planes that have drop-down rear stairs on the plane. They just said for rows such-and-such to board through the front and so-and-so board through the rear. I've also seen this for some larger planes at airports that have two jetways on some gates.

I think it may help speed up things.

16. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope this doesn't become the norm. I personally like the current way because I can almost always count on going to the back to find open seats and overhead bins because of people favoring the front of the plane. Plus I don't like the idea of trying to navigate two sets of stairs. Doesn't seem like a smart plan to me.

17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's the Big Burning Question (tm) ... Will they be deplaning with two exits as well?

18. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Burbank is the only SWA California airport that I am aware of that deplanes out of both the fore and aft doors.

19. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was thinking the same thing about those air stairs. I can see somebody easily tripping. Especially going down, while carrying luggage. A couple of lawsuits
    And as long as I get the seat I want.

20. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be fair to the FAs, SW would first have to enact a policy that prohibits seat saving. Currently there is no policy against seat saving, so there is nothing for FAs to police.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.