1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Interesting "hypothetical" interview questions

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by in4mation808, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe VMB-ers can shed some light on this question that was posed to one of our applicants as a "test" prior to a verbal interview. This was a written portion. Keep in mind, the position was for a manager/supervisor for a help desk that would supervise around 10-call agents.

Here's the question(s) that applicants were expected to answer:

You own a grocery store. You would like to find out when you should schedule your orders for Bananas, Apples, and Grapes. Each type of fruit comes from a different supplier. Each supplier can deliver their fruit up to 4 times a month to your store. You don't want to run out of fruit but you also don't want to have too much fruit at one time. Cash flow is not an issue, you have enough cash on hand to order fruit at any time.

What types of data would you need in order to decide when to order each type of fruit? What would you have to take into consideration? Explain why the data is needed.

How would you analyze the data to determine when to order each type of fruit?

Create a visual aid (chart, table, graph) that would summarize your conclusions about when to order each type of fruit.

Describe any important considerations for on-going fruit orders for the months and years to come.
    Create a list of steps to pass on to your head produce person for this work process going into the future.

If I were an applicant, I'd wonder......am I applying for a produce manager job at a grocery store and not a help desk? Of course, there's the "hypothetical" on how you answer the question and not just what is considered the correct answer. It's the thought process......which has me wondering. Because I'm still unsure as to exactly what our manager wants to hear from a person in responding to this question...

How would you respond to this if this were given to you?

2. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd roll my eyes and walk out.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would answer the question as best I could. I think that the question is designed for someone to see if they think logically. There actually is a right answer once you have the information. It's been a few decades, and I don't remember the specific formula offhand, but I remember from one of my classes of something called "Economic Order Quantity" (EOQ) that tells you how much to order. If I remember, the inputs are usage, and cost of ordering which can basically determine the amount that should be ordered without running into spoilage (for perishable products you definitely need to know how soon they will spoil). For anyone who took a class that taught EOQ, it is not a tough question. However, if you have not, then it becomes a little more challenging.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. DESPERADO

DESPERADO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :wave: 22788970_10210842608682991_8169423447846420013_n.jpg :beer:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  5. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would refuse to answer the question unless they added avocados to the mix...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. in4mation808

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the best answer here!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WTF? Nowhere does it tell you you need to decide HOW MUCH to order, just when. I'd walk out.

You would like to find out when you should schedule your orders for Bananas, Apples, and Grapes. Each type of fruit comes from a different supplier. Each supplier can deliver their fruit up to 4 times a month to your store.

How would you analyze the data to determine when to order each type of fruit?

You don't have to analyze any fucking data to determine when. Once a fuckin' week, delivered on whatever day of the week has the highest sales. When do I start?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sleep2.jpg :snore:

and figure it out in the morning!

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How the hell is one supposed to figure out in 30 minutes what mass retailers have struggled with for 50 years....absurd...if a store can receive fresh produce 4 times a month from suppliers that's what you do, preferably on Thursdays

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with the above. I would walk out, Its a call center. I worked in them for years.

This question actually tells me a lot about how the management thinks. They seem to me to think a bit too much of themselves which will of course make them impossible to work for as they will never be satisfied.

Why not just ask questions directly related to the task?

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would respond:

"This is managing a staff of 10 call agents. Since we all know there can be a few "bad apples" in the hiring process ..I would want data that shows how many "apples" in the past year were let go for being "bad apples"....and I would increase each apple order to compensate for the expected "bad apples"

From there, I would expand to say that, this question shows upper management is a bit "fruity" in their nonsensical questions, so I would I would lessen the amount of additional fruits that I order ..we are obviously fruity enough.

And finally, since working under this style of management is going to drive me "bananas," I would cancel the entire banana order for the year.

"But ma'am, you forgot about the grapes."

I would then answer..."Oh yes, the grapes. Back to fruity/bad upper management. I would increase the grape order intervals, and amounts, by 10x. I will just bring those extra grapes home, to press my own wine, as I can already tell I'll need copious amounts of wine if I get this job....no additional data needed."

Making people problem-solve in an interview is great, and can let you see how they process curveballs. But the questions should be pertinent to their job and industry. (Or at least have a loose connection, this isn't even a heavy purchasing-driven role!)

Samples could be "you have a staff of 10 and are going into a holiday weekend. Four people call in. How do you solve the current under-staffed situation, and how do you prevent it in the future?"

Or "When managing call center employees, what, in your experience, is the biggest challenge to ensuring tickets are resolved on the first call...and what strategy do you feel is the most effective in ensuring ticket items are resolved correctly on the first call?"

Neither question has a clear "easy answer," and the applicant will be showing their management style by their answer. Do their answers revolve around discipline? Increasing employee morale? Looking for deeper problems that might be spurring the bad performance? (Micromanager, inspirer, team leader, hands-off, even technical trouble-shooter, etc.)

The supermarket question doesn't seem pertinent at all. This is not a data analytics job, or a very senior REGIONAL director role that is carving out strategies for entire divisions (west coast, east coast, etc.) It seems more like an "ego" question for upper management, a question to make the candidates feel stupid and undermine their confidence.

The best candidates will, as many have said, say WTF, and lose interest. The ones that are "ok" with the weird questions are probably more focused on politics/approval than results...is that who they are really looking for?

Bottom-line, you're right for scratching your head.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    upload_2018-10-27_18-43-58.png
    I need to consult my staff.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  13. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This kind of thing is a great example of why I would go on social assistance before ever taking a “company” job again.

Companies these days are like cults. You’re hired based on your mentality, not your abilities. Hiring processes include these stupid “screening” questions that appear to be aptitude tests, but are really just meant to test how you think to see if you have the right personality type for the company’s “culture”.

Not that I’d ever put myself in a situation where I’d have to answer a question like this ever again... but if I was in such a situation, I’d walk out. I’m not into supporting the systemizd cliquey popularity contest that modern companies have become.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
    • Agree Agree x 4
  14. in4mation808

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is, in fact, spot on to how management is. You, sir, have got it right. And knowing nothing about each other and the job, when I read this, I was blown away, @C0usineddie, I applaud this answer.

15. in4mation808

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Multifarious5 YES! THIS is exactly summarizing what I am/was thinking.........would you really want to work for a style of management like this? No.

• Love Love x 2
  16. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love it, @Breeze147! :beer:
    Looks like they're keeping it business casual today. Otherwise they'd be carrying their briefs cases! :D

Enjoy your early game today, Breeze! :D

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank {diety} that I have not had to sit for a job interview for many years!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can see the relation. A call center is likely working on a shift schedule with various specialties and languages needed at certain times based on historical demand. They’re just seeing how how you would schedule staff levels.

19. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The interview process is to see if management can control you. They do not want mavericks. The answer to that interview question is: "Whatever you think is appropriate, sir. By the way, how soon shall I stick my nose up your ass?"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been retired for a while, now, and all I can say is that I hope I never have to go to work again. :blink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.