1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Park MGM or New York, New York

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by PearlWhiteGT, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PearlWhiteGT

PearlWhiteGT Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plan oh heading to Vegas in the beginning of January with the wife. My best friend and his wife will also be join us and they are staying at New York New York. I want to use my rewards miles from my credit card for free nights and Park is about half the miles of New York New York. Is it worth the extra reward miles to stay at New York New York?

2. Mistaspakles

Mistaspakles Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would choose NYNY over park (even with the extra miles). If you plan on renting a car, the parking garage is much easier in my opinion at NYNY.

3. CaliMike

CaliMike “My home away from home”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMO i say no. Park MGM and NYNY are about on the same level. Park MGM has newly renovated rooms, as opposed to some outdated rooms in NYNY. They are right next to each other so location is not that big of deal. NYNY I would say has more of a night life than Park MGM. I would save the miles and stay at Park MGM.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I would save the miles, they are right next door and about the same quality. Park MGM is just renovated and mostly all new, NYNY is a bit more exciting and has more of a party atmosphere though.
    Also are the vegas golden knights playing at home during your trip?

5. Wabashabi

Wabashabi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stay at Park, its an extremely short walk over to NYNY and the rooms at nyny really need a renovation. Park is pretty dead inside due to construction, but that also makes it really easy to get around quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. PearlWhiteGT

PearlWhiteGT Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How short of a walk would you say it is from Park to NYNY? January looks like it will be pretty cold so not sure if my lady will enjoy walking back and forth in the cold weather.

7. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From room to hotel its a 10 minute walk to NYNY from Park.

8. Wabashabi

Wabashabi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to google earth 275 ft. Its quite literally just crossing the road and walking back inside. They also have crosswalk attendants there to stop traffic.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. PearlWhiteGT

PearlWhiteGT Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome. Thanks for all the help. It's been over 3 years since I've been in Veags. Can't wait to get back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMO, if you're an mLife member and accumulating TC to make levels, Park MGM has some interesting accelerators, like double points at Bavette's, and double points on stays (don't know which ones are still in Play).

11. PearlWhiteGT

PearlWhiteGT Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excuse my ignorance but what is "TC to make levels"?

12. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "TC' stands for tier credits. Each MLIfe Tier level (Sapphire, Pearl, Gold, Platinum, Noir) requires a certain number of tier credits to achieve, which you gain via gaming or by dollars spent at Mlife properties (this is why it is important to make sure the hotel has your players card - and your wife's - on file when you check in so that you get the 25 tier credits for every dollar spent on the room. You also get tier credits for dining and shopping at mlife establishments (but not all are directly affiliated with Mlife so you have to ask. Make sure you tell the person that you want your MLife points for the meal or shopping transaction added to your card when you hand over the players card and ID, otherwise they might think you want to use whatever existing points you have and deduct them).

Another thing I would suggest, if you don't already have it, is for you to get the MLife Mastercard. You earn a lot of bonus points when you use the card at Mlife destinations (and there are other sign up perks too) and having the card automatically bumps you up to Pearl status, which gives you free parking at Mlife properties as well as certain line pass privileges. If you haven't visited Vegas in three years (and haven't been to any other Mlife destinations in that time), you will be at Sapphire level. If your wife doesn't want to get a separate credit card, if you get the MLife mastercard you can make sure the Players Desk at any MLife property links your accounts and she will automatically get the same tier status that you have, plus your combined play will help boost you to next tier level faster since you are building the points together, as opposed to individual accounts. Even if you don't get the mastercard, it is good idea to link the accounts so you can build points and tier levels faster and maybe get some good offers for your next trip! Just make sure you both use your players cards at all times!

By the way, I stayed at the Park MGM briefly last month (I booked a comp there as a place to crash for the day since I had a midnight flight back) and I was really impressed by the new rooms. They were really nice. I have never been in a NYNY room but you can find a tour on google if you want to compare to the youtube video I found of the Park MGM room that I am posting below. The hallways on the guest floors are extremely (and I mean EXTREMELY) dark. You can barely see! The hallway in the video below is a lot brighter, probably because of the light from the phone that was taking the video.

The one thing I saw in some tripadvisor.com reviews is that people mentioned the walls at Park MGM are very thin. While I was in the room, I didn't hear anything at all, but it's good advice to always pack good quality earplugs anyway when traveling, just in case. Plus - if your wife doesn't like walking in the cold, Park MGM offers tram service. It is connected to Aria, Crystals and Bellagio, so you can visit all of those places without ever setting foot outside (well, except to get the actual tram, unless you don't mind walking through all of them). If you walk all the way through Bellagio, there are the walkways to Bally's and Caesars, so you can minimize the outdoor time if she finds it too chilly in January for her liking.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. tallsamoan

tallsamoan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol, right...straight line perhaps, building to building. Depending where your room is located you can't even get from your room to the elevator in less than 275 ft.

14. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    275, 1,000,000 feet. If anyone comes to Vegas not expecting to walk a marathon, they will be sorely in trouble.

15. PearlWhiteGT

PearlWhiteGT Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I will have to get my mLife card since I've lost mine. I've been looking into their credit card as well to get all the reward points and perks. Just wasn't sure if it was a good one.

16. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another vote for Park MGM. Recently we were considering NYNY or Park MGM and chose Park MGM, mainly due to the fact that the rooms have just recently been totally remodeled and the bathroom seemed much nicer. This was comparing the Park Avenue and Madison Avenue rooms at NYNY with the King room at Park MGM. You can get a good idea of the rooms if you search YouTube for room reviews.
    And after all that time researching between the two we ended up changing our reservation to a Luxor 1 bedroom Tower suite haha

17. WINGSFAN2012

WINGSFAN2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    love NYNY and the old Monte Carlo.....have not seen or stayed at the new Park MGM

18. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can read all about the Mlife Mastercard perks on the MLife homepage:

https://www.mgmresorts.com/en/mlife-rewards-program/mlife-rewards-mastercard-ps4.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkKnYpLGI3gIVCdbACh0G3gq6EAAYASAAEgKgaPD_BwE#/FAQ

Another perk of having the card is that using it occasionally keeps any Express Comp dollars you earn from expiring. If you are below Gold, you have six months to visit an MLife resort and swipe your card to keep your points active, or you lose them. If you are Gold or above, you have a year. By using the MLife card occasionally (since it is linked to your MLife Players club account), it will keep any Express Comps you earn active until you can get back and use them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.