1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by rolotumasi, Sep 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rolotumasi

rolotumasi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What does everyone think about Doctor Who on Sundays now instead of Saturday? The new season begins 10/07 I remember when I was a kid they aired on Sunday night on my local PBS station but they were about a year behind the current season , now on BBC America they air the same night,

New female Doctor 3 new companions and a new night going to be very interesting

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We record everything (live in rural area, can't stream with our limited data) so I don't care what night something airs - we try to never watch anything live.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dalej42

dalej42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to use Amazon prime to watch Doctor Who, BBC America is a higher tier on my cable system and I’m not paying extra for endless Star Trek reruns 99% of the time!

I’m going to hope the new Doctor is decent, but I wasn’t enthusiastic about the change.

Admittedly, I wasn’t initially impressed with Capalidi but he’s become my second favorite in the new series.

4. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the insight that it begins 10/7! I dvr it so I am ok on whatever night it is..but it will be an interesting new season with a new dr! Looking forward to seeing the new episodes!

5. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I watched it a couple of times many years ago and thought it looked interesting, but never wound up following it. Don't remember why.

6. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Capaldi never grew on me as the Doctor, though I mainly blame Jenna Coleman for that as I really never liked her (ironically I adore her as Queen Victoria, so it's not the actress, it's the role.....) My husband watched while growing up but I've never been a big scifi fan - only when dosed liberally with humor. I started watching Doctor Who during the Tennant years, so of course he's my favorite Doctor. I've gone back and we've seen all the new-era Doctors, but I have no desire to go back to the original series.

7. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So...they replaced Peter Cushing? :D;):eek:

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been a Whovian, since the very first series with William Hartnell, but the 10th Doctor (David Tennant) is still my favorite, along with Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) as his companion.

The day change doesn't bother me, since if I can't watch it live, I'll either DVR it or watch it On Demand. Although, it's going to be interesting to see how Jodie Whitaker plays out as the new Doc.

9. joehypnosis

joehypnosis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got hooked on Dr. Who back in the late 70s, while in elementary school. I've never been able to accept anyone but Tom Baker as the doctor. Fond memories!

10. OddsWrkin

OddsWrkin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who Doctor Who? . . . . . . . a mere legend at the now defunct Aksarben horse track.

11. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to watch the original occasionally and always enjoyed it but never kept up with it enough to truly follow it (was harder to do BITD). I also missed getting started on the new who but thanks to my brother who downloaded and gave me the entire series up to the 12th season I think (third season of the new who) I can now not only catch up with the new one but go back and re-watch the original. I've seen the first season of the new ones and really liked it. I was surprised that I ended up liking the new Dr. and was a big fan of Rose since I loved her from Secret Diary of a Call Girl. I need to get back to watching them and maybe even catch up to current.

12. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith were the DR.'s I watched....
    It was a good show.
    I used to watch it on PBS with my son but we both kind of lost interest after Smith.

13. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I probably would have stopped then too had my husband not wanted to watch it- we don't have a ton of overlap in the shows we both want to watch so it's nice to be able to share something that isn't on History or Science ;-)

14. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WHAT?!?! Dr. Who is BOTH History AND Science! :D

• Love Love x 2
  15. colorfinger

colorfinger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I may be in the minority but I thought Christopher Eccleston did a great job. It was short lived and was followed by the extremely popular Tennant but I thought he carried it well. I'm not sure how I feel about the new direction. I hope it doesn't feel forced. I know they are trying to modernize the doctor but I was in the camp that not all traditions need to be updated. That said, I'll certainly watch when it comes to a streaming service near me. It is a show my whole family can enjoy together.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to say, I'm far more concerned about a new show runner than the Doctor being female....

[I didn't like Eccleston at first - and he's SUCH a crusty guy in interviews - but his Doctor did grow on me over time, same with Matt Smith]

17. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm fine with it being on Sunday. I grew up on Doctor Who - obviously the old re-runs that they would show every weekend on PBS and Sunday has a familiarity. Also I dvr it anyway, so it's not like I'll miss it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally agree on that. I thought he did an excellent job! It's actually quite a testament that I didn't see him as himself or other characters while he was playing the Doctor. I haven't gotten to the next season so I haven't seen whoever is after him.

19. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone and anything is better than the American Doctor Who movie with Eric Roberts as The Master. Dear God that was incredible in the most horrible of ways.

20. rolotumasi

rolotumasi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    when I was a kid they always showed Tom Baker on PBS but then one year in the summer they had re-runs of Jon Pertwee's 3rd doctor and I always loved his battles with the master.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.