1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Room check

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Glenn357M, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had our first surprise room check at the Linq this past weekend. We didn't use room service on our 3 night stay and usually do not. Just catch room service in the hall and get what we need and empty the trash ourselves. This trip we had our dogs with us. We were up early this day and we were sleeping by 9pm.

At 9:42 pm a knock at the door wakes us up and the dogs freak out. I figured it was some happy person and got the dogs quiet. A few minutes later the phone rings and the guy is telling me the police are at the door for a room check. I was like what for? He explains as I go to open the door that since Oct 1 last of year and then apologized. One security and one police officer came in took a quick look around made a call from my room phone and then left.
    I understand the need for the room checks and have heard they were being done but maybe check during the day? I know 9:30 is still early but come on. Really not a happy few minutes at all. From now on I will at least have room service look in the room and empty the trash themselves.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The police? Or Linq security? Either would piss me off, but police?

3. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One security guy no gun. One officer with a gun in holster full gear. I was not happy either but what is someone to do in this situation. I really think they should have knocked on the door much earlier in the day.

4. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah not sure metro has any business being in your room... you sure it was metro and not just some cop looking like security?

5. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seriously? So why even offer opting out of housekeeping as an option, if they are going to send security and/or the police to your door because you opted out of housekeeping. WTF!

7. Gypsy21

Gypsy21 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen this several places, not just Vegas. A couple of years ago I was staying at a Marriott in Phoenix, and pretty much left the Do Not Disturb sign as a permanent fixture on my door. I was one person, perfectly capable of making my own bed, and didn't appreciate being woken up by room service only to tell them to go away. Morning of day 4, I wake up to pounding on the door despite the sign, and a member of housekeeping and security telling me they needed to 'check the room to make sure everything was OK'. What, did they think I torched the room? Shoved a dead body into the bathtub?

Come to think of it, it was also a Marriott I was staying at in Denver when I came back to find housekeeping in my room despite the Do Not Disturb sign being up. Maybe Marriott just has privacy issues.

8. MrBBonz

MrBBonz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be in town next week, and while I don't expect The D to go through this, I will certainly put it to the test. What happens if you aren't in your room at XX:XX time and no one is there to answer? Do they break the door down and find an empty room?

9. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't opt out or anything and I usually don't. I just figure if I want it I will use it but usually just handle it myself. I always have the do not disturb deal hanging on the door.

10. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand that, but my guess is that for a guest who DID opt out, the same thing would happen. What's the difference, really? Whether your are opting out ahead of time, or keeping the DND sign on your door - same end result - no housekeeping.

12. voltin

voltin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed at The D for Halloween last year and security came by and knocked on my door after having my DND sign on for 3 days. I was in the room at the time because I had to do some work (around 4pm PT if I recall), they didn't come in just wanted to see if everything was ok. I don't know if they came back after I left for the evening or not. There were no knocks on my door on my last trip so I don't know if they are still doing this or if it was because it was so soon after the shooting. I only had my room for 2 nights this time though, I want to say I read somewhere that most of the Hotels in Vegas check after 3.

13. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed at PH last month for 6 nights. 2 Security guys (no cops, that's fucked up, as is 9:42pm, something's fishy there) knocked on Day 3 and Day 5, both times it was late morning/early afternoon. Each time one guy came in, barely looked at me, went straight to the phone, dialed some number and keyed in some code and that was it.

It was a pain in the ass, because I would have been sleeping both times, except I was half expecting them to show up, so I waited. I'm seriously considering cutting my PH stays back to 3 nights instead of 6 - 7 because of this, if I can get TI to give me 5 comp nights upfront.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So the maid is also security since she does the room check if you don’t opt out. Wow. You’d think they would walk the hallway the day of not night of concern. Most are gone during the day so it should be quick. Silly silly silly.
    Like room keys to access elevators. Valid? Not a concern apparently.

15. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You make your bed on vacation?

I only make mine if there is company coming.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Gypsy21

Gypsy21 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, so it's not like I make the bed. But I throw the blanket up and pretend it's made. :haha:

Also, just got back to my room at NYNY and found a card in my key slot. Note the bottom line. I'm moving to Cosmo on Saturday, so I'll be curious to see if they com in before then. nyny.jpg

17. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You guys are missing the point, after the massacre last year they're not checking to see if you're ok, they're checking to make sure you're not a maniac getting ready to do it again. No weapons/gear and boom they're gone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We can break them of this habit.
    Most Vegas visitors are older in age and don’t look good naked anymore.
    If security comes knocking to do a room check just play like you’re asleep while spreadeagle naked on the bed.
    Just make sure to look up when they walk in and smile.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MrBBonz

MrBBonz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was kind of discussed in a similar thread. Since you are the lawful tenant of the room, you have a certain level of privacy and if they choose to come and see the long term effects of gravity, they should suffer their choice. I don't like people coming and checking in on things. It wont prevent anything at all. This is all stemming from what happened last year right?

20. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately hotels are being more cautious because of the MB shooting last year.

Not sure but the Boyd downtown hotels have a card in the room which says that they will/can do a room check if there was no housekeeping service 2 days in a row. To get around that I usually ask for maid service every other day.

Yeah, I know, the room checks and police visits are an overkill but it is supposedly to ensure that another MB shooting doesn't happen again. But then a shooter can probably bring all his stuff to the room in 1 day and start shooting the next day so these room checks are more (IMHO) just for show. The hotels are also doing the room checks so the hotel won't be held liable if there was a shooting. MB right now is getting blasted and sued because of "lax" security which allowed the guy to bring in his arsenal so now the other hotels are trying to be extra cautious.

I'm kind of surprised that most of the vegas hotels don't have these placards or notices about room checks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.