1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I believe we found our place

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by Daani, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daani

Daani Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dear unknown friends I need some opinions.
    As I have mentioned at some point before, we are moving to Las Vegas next year February/March.
    At this point we have researched the apartments in our price range and area and could use some input. We have literally spent hours reading reviews on different sites and the only thing we could not find was a more detailed info about the pests, scorpions and/or roaches in those complexes.
    We will be back there in early October to drive through the neighborhoods day and night and kind of see what is going on. We checked Crime map and it does not look so bad. Guarantees are nowhere.
    So far we have to check out: Positano, Rancho Serene Apartments, Copper Creek, Summer Winds, Bermuda Terrace and Amalfi.
    We have to have three bedrooms so there are less apartment complexes with that option to begin with.
    We don't want a highrise and/or paying $2000 + either.
    So, any good thought?
    Thank You:wave:

2. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you considered getting yourself a reputable and local Las Vegas realtor who can do those searches for you and provide some good choices?
    I think it would save you a lot of time and effort.
    Good luck on your move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Daani

Daani Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We don't want a realtor!

• Like Like x 1
  4. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay. Thanks for clarifying.

5. Daani

Daani Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No offense please.

6. landsburger

landsburger High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not a local Vegas expert, but some suggestions:
    • Include goggle map links to the places you want feedback on. You can't expect people to spend time looking them up on their own
    • It sounds like you'll be driving around them yourself before you choose. GOOD IDEA. Don't take the word of online reviews or pictures. They can be very deceiving
    • I've driven around a lot of Vegas neighborhoods near the strip, and there are some HORRIBLE areas.
    That is all. Good luck

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I come from the northeast. I realize that I can't tell the good vs the bad neighborhoods in the southwest. The tell-tale signs of poverty are different. The only neighborhood I've ever noticed that I wouldn't trust leaving my 2018 Honda in the street is where Fremont becomes Boulder Hwy. Everything else looks good to me. :rolleyes: Guess I'm an easy mark.

8. Daani

Daani Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for your responses. I was hoping someone is familiar with the apartment complexes.

9. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm more familiar with condo complexes. I own one and spend time watching whats for sale and how fast they sell etc. As far as bugs go our condo assoc sprays monthly on the outside. In six years we've never had a problem.

Are you looking for a one, two or three bed unit? I can do some checking in our area that I know well.

Good luck on the search.

TomTWI

10. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't speak to specific locations in Las Vegas, but it's the desert and some bugs are unavoidable pretty much anywhere, and they are sometimes larger than you may be used to. Crickets are very common, roaches occasionally crawl up from the drain, scorpions, etc. However seeing them from time to time is normal and not a sign of infestation.

This is not to dissuade you, just don't be surprised to see a bug. It should not automatically disqualify a place because most places have some. They may be more common on the ground floor.

Our cats often like to catch bugs so you may consider getting one if that is a concern and you are not allergic.

• Like Like x 1
  11. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've driven around Vegas a fair amount and there are a lot of areas I wouldn't want to live in, but I would be more open to some areas if I were a single male adult without kids.

Very generally speaking, Henderson and summerlin seem to be pretty nice. But I'm sure there are plenty of other places that are ok too. I briefly lived in Las Vegas over 20 years ago and the neighborhoods -if you can call them that- have changed a lot since then.

12. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out the condo below, would something like that be of interest to you? There is nothing available in our community right now but this is similar in a great location.

Apartment Listing

Good luck

TomTWI

Edit: Or these were built just a couple years ago 2One5 Apartments
    Minutes from 215 and Ikea

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  13. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No offense, but what is the main reason you wont work with a realtor?

Just want to dispel any myths or misconceptions.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. tominiowa

tominiowa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in centennial hills area. Which I like. In simple terms stay north of Ann road. Definitely not south of Craig. Aliante area is nice in North Las Vegas.
    Is being close to strip important? If so that makes it difficult. Why not rent a house versus apartment? My 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath homes were renting out around $1400-$1550/month. And they have private pools.

I have never had bug problems. They tend to be bad in a new development. The critters just haven't had time to find new homes yet. I spray outside the homes on regular basis.

15. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty useless on this topic except that if the apartment complex has a lot of Palm Trees there isn't a way possible that it does not have scorpions.

Good luck in your search, but I second the idea of a realtor.

16. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lot's of Palms by us and not one scorpion that Ive seen or heard about.

TomTWI

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never saw one, but part of our closing paperwork was we had to sign they we knew there were x number of scorpions varieties in Las Vegas. I don't remember exactly, but it was something like 12-15. Of course we also had to sign paperwork that we acknowledged there was gambling in Nevada. :D

Roaches: Never had any in the house and never sprayed. But they did come out at night on our patio. I found a simple solution on-line for that. Half fill a large glass jar with water and used coffee grounds and put it next to a post or something they can crawl up. The grounds attract them, they crawl up jump in and can't climb up the glass to climb up and drown. For a while, I was empting that thing twice a week. It gradually tapered off.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. I guess, consider yourself lucky?? I've seen it and have heard from MANY in the valley and a pest control guy that this is a problem there. We were also advised by a couple of realtors to factor this into our property choices. *shrug* I guess with every opinion I should follow with YMMV.

19. Daani

Daani Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately I am very allergic to cats.

Thank you for the links. Will check it out.

Out experience with realtors has been very very very bad. They tend to spend your money like it or not. We want to decide how much we want to spend and not some know-it-all telling us how much more we could afford. No thank you! I know you mean good but not this time. I already dread the thought of having to get a realtor come the day we wanna buy a house somewhere.

Close to strip doesn't matter. We don't even go there now much. Easy access to airport is important.

Thank you all for your input. If you can think of anything else I appreciate it.

20. Daani

Daani Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you. Has to be three bedrooms. My husband needs an office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.