1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Legal Marijuana in Las Vegas/Nevada - What happens next?

Discussion in 'Vegas After Dark' started by Sonya, Nov 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty sure plenty still smoke in hotel as they have for years.
    Some smoke outside but try not to be obvious.
    Some of us just snack - edibles.

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's still illegal to smoke in a non-residence, but people do all the time, even before the legalization. There was some talk of some legislation to open up Amsterdam-like "coffee shops", but I haven't heard much about that since the initial article.

Edibles are probably your most discreet option, but I don't think that smoking discretely in your hotel room would be a huge risk.

3. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another option are vape pens. They sell the cannabis oil in cartridges to use with the pens. It is similar to e-cigs. It produces no smoke or smell and is totally discreet. It is more concentrated so you don't need much.

4. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went looking this morning. Rusty beat me to the link, but here's another: https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/sep/19/county-commissioners-pump-the-brakes-on-marijuana/

Looks like a bad idea to hold your breath for pot-lounges in Vegas. At this point, it looks like they won't even consider revisiting the issue until December.

6. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This and if you want to smoke leaf, ask your budtender for something that isn't skunky.

7. SacTownGuy

SacTownGuy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any public place with smoking going on? I'd be happy to get contact high.

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not yet for anything official.

9. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to some folks, a slow walk down the Strip might do it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder what a front desk or other manager, or the concierge, would say if simply asked.......it's an honest tourist question. Probably "anywhere but here"....... but maybe there is an understood area somewhere outside by now ?

Can't possibly be the oddest question they have had :haha:

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think lingering by the elevators in front of the walkway by PHo has been a pretty reliable place for about a decade.

12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like Nevada's off to a good start, revenue/tax wise:

(From the Las Vegas Sun)

"The state Department of Taxation says Nevada dispensaries sold $27.1 million worth of pot in July. That compares with about $14 million in each of Oregon and Colorado, and $3.8 million in Washington in the first year of legalized recreational sales in those states.

The combination of a 15 percent wholesale tax and a 10 percent retail tax generated $3.68 million in state tax revenue, Nevada Department of Taxation spokeswoman Stephanie Klapstein said Thursday. The numbers are consistent with projections legal pot sales will bring in $120 million over the next two years, she said."

13. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So.....coming in late here and growing up in the 60's and 70's, all I remember is one kind of pot that made you extremely laid back. Now days I read they have Sativa for a more energetic high and Indica for the retro 60's high, is that about right? Can us tourists go in a LV shop and buy the herb and/or edibles or is it only medical MJ and you need an RX? Inquiring minds want to know:love:

14. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can buy the herb but: it is illegal to smoke outside of a private residence; it will likely make your hair stand on end; and no way are the leftovers going home with you.
    The most bizarre thing about the legal dispensary is how upfront and customer oriented they are. All you need is an ID showing that you are over 21 and cash money. Tell the counter folks your story and there’s no judgment, just advice. I would suggest a disposable vape pen or edibles, especially the items like candy bars where you can break the 10 mg doses in half. Wade in slowly and you’ll be fine.

15. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks FullPay! So are there places not too far off the beaten path....as in have the Limo driver swing by just like stopping at the liquor store? I totally agree that edibles would be the way to go and no worries here regarding the end of the vacation. No way am I even thinking I could bring any on the plane with me.

16. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wonder how they collect tax. My understanding - and I could be wrong - is that they have to deal in cash basis because it is still a federal crime so shops that sell it can't use banks. How do they pay sales tax? As long as I am an active nurse in Texas there is no way I would ever risk it. And I do not need any help with getting the munchies. I do fine by myself.

17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure they pay state/city sales tax just like any other business, as well as SS and the like for employees. Audit trails from the POS systems could be used in any disputes over amount of tax paid.

18. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  19. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as limo stops I have been to 3 different dispensaries and my average wait to be served was about fifteen minutes, but I’ve heard it can run much longer. So not exactly like a liquor stop, plus you may want to allow yourself extra time on your first visit. All of the Vegas dispensaries began as medical dispensaries and the people working there are prepared to give advice on a variety of uses.

20. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had a similar experience when visiting with a friend who was partaking and I was buy-curious, in case future employers are reading. Take a Lyft there and another Lyft to your ultimate destination. Or use a designated driver such as yours truly. Or if driving, wait until you arrive before consuming, and wait until the effect has passed before driving again.

The wait for service in our case was about 5 minutes - nowhere near enough time to read and mentally process the very long menu. This was on a Saturday morning at Releaf at LV Blvd and Sahara.

In response to another question somewhere, the staff claim that there is a difference in the psychoactive effects of indica or sativa, and they have many varieties of each, but I infer that most of their descriptions are hearsay and/or based on placebo effects without any scientific basis.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.