1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

$1/$2 Hand at the Flamingo

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by Shipppp09, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shipppp09

Shipppp09 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey so I played a hand at the weekend over at the flamingo and I still don’t really know if I played it good,bad or meh.

$1/2 at the flamingo, it’s 6am. We have a mix of drunk guys,locals and some tourists.

Our stack $300.

We have a limp from ep from what I perceived to be a new rec player. Just his mannerisms at the table, the way he handled his chips and talked about hands, he seemed new to the game.

We look down at AKss I’m mp. Now we have 3 drunk guys to our right. They are VPIP’ing 90% +. One of them is short and has shoved 3 of the last 4 hands. I am almost certain that one of these guys is going to raise so we decide to limp in.

First drunk guy in cut off flats, second drunk guy on button raises to $10 then 3rd drunk guy in Sb ships all in for $42 total (this is the guy that has shoved 3 of the 4 previous hands).

Folds to our rec friend utg, he seems unsure what to do, a little pained by th decision. Eventually lands on a call. It’s back on us, pot now stands at $100 if my maths is correct. I’m fairly certain we are ahead of our rec friend and even if he has a marginal hand like 77/88 we can get him off it by playing aggressively. I’m expecting the drunk guy in the Sb to show up with any 2 here same with the btn raise drunk guy.

If we shove we are risking $42 to win $142 assuming both other guys fold, which I think they do a large percentage of the time.

So that’s what we do, we rip for $300, btn insta mucks and utg pauses for 30 seconds before also folding. I like to just turn my hand over when we get all in and the table is like woah dude you super overplayed AK there, this isn’t a tournament etc..

Sb rolls over 79dd, board runs out Q910ss62 and villain scoops with a pair of 9s.

In my head I thought I made a decent play getting it heads up with 65% equity having put $42 to win $142 but the others at the table didn’t seem to think so.

Thoughts?

2. zolar31

zolar31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMO played perfectly, like your thinking. say nice hand and top off the stack to $300 and play the next hand.
    there's only one word to describe the others at the table S A W F T sooofffffttttt

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sfgiants13

Sfgiants13 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nice hand although I would consider making a normal raise vs. limping still because the drunk guy is likely to still come over the top (at least in my experience)

4. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You played the hand perfectly. Who cares what the rest of the table thinks they're prob mad you pushed them off a winning hand.

"This isn't a tournament" is hilarious quote made by a schmuck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rotty

Rotty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wouldn't have limped but after that the shove is fine

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you overplay AK?

Not really. You are meant to be aggressive pre with AK. It is a hand generally unafraid of getting it in pre because it is rarely dominated, but which misses enough flops that it can be awkward to play post. So in MP raising with it is often a good play. You don't want to be bluffed off it, or face calling with A high in a bloated pot.

You jammed 158 into 142 which is large but not absurd, and awkward to raise less as it commits (you also didn't mention if you were the effective stack).

Now, the limp strategy is possibly questionable, however. Just as AK can be played aggressively because if you get it in pre you are generally in ok shape, so all the hands you get to fold are your profit, it is also a mediocre trap to set because it also won't dominate enough hands. It can end up in a lot of races making it pretty high variance to play trappy.

I get the strategy of the trap. You expect 100% raised pots, which you can then play aggressively. But with so many action players and a new fish limping utg there is a real risk that even 150BB deep, you could end up with a bloated multiway pot that you can't raise people off of.

I would probably still open AK here. Clear out anyone else tempted to limp, isolate to maybe one of the drunks (or get them 3 betting light). Your line isn't "bad" per se, just potentially quite high variance, and not super profitable at a table where there should be very profitable spots.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.