1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Poker Tourneys, a Side Quest for a Royal Flush, and an Accompanying Vegas Virgin on #20! 6/8-6/15

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by MiamiDave, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quiet day yesterday of just cash poker. Had a terrible runbad 7 hour session at Bellagio. At one point I was stuck for $1900 when I flopped middle set (88) after someone raised UTG for $20, UTG+1 flats, mp flats, CO flats and I flat the BTN. Both blinds fold. Flop is A86 with two diamonds. UTG checks, +1 bets, mp calls, co calls and I jam for another $420 which is a bit under another $500 buy-in and of all players UTG+1 calls with AA???

Ended up getting back in that session to being down about $600 and then I lose QQ<AKs pre for about $500. If my QQ holds up, I’m basically even and I told myself in my head when the money got in that I’d be getting up if I won the hand since getting back near even would have been a huge win.

Instead I sat for another 2 hours or so and the final hand I get 3-outed on the river and lose another $800 or so and finish the session down $1800. It was frustrating because I played so well all day. Made a few of the biggest bluffs ever, including this one that I texted my buddy:

$800 effective for me, about $1400 for the two Vs with each other. V1 opening a bit wider than he should in EP and raises to $15 UTG+1. V2 in MP flats as he usually does and I 3b T8dd on the BTN to $70 to take it down and both call. I’d gotten a few 3b bluffs through earlier. Flop is K97dhc. V1 donks $70, MP calls, I call with the open ended and backdoor diamond draw. Turn 3d. V1 checks. V2 now bets $200. I have $640 behind. I don’t think I have any fold equity right now so I tank-call and V1 folds. I was going to fold but I had just enough behind that I can maybe bluff shove certain rivers. River is the Ac. Probably the best river I could ask for that doesn’t make my hand because I could have the Ad and may have even hit two pair. V2 checks and I tank-shove and he goes in the tank for like 4-5 minutes and asks if I’ll show if he does and I agree and he folds KJdd face-up.

Later last night we checked into the Wynn and I played 1/3 for a bit since I was stuck for the day but it was terribly boring so I went back to 2/5. I ended up quickly running my $1000 stack up to about $1900. Got table changed and kept running it up a bit more until I got it to about $2250. Lost a big bluff for like $800 that maybe should have gotten through but it was close. Won a big limped pot with J2s when I got three streets of value after I raised a 922ss flop.

Last hand of note: my pro buddy ended up on my table near the end of the night and we had some fun back and forth in one hand. He straddled the button for $20 and the guy in the BB loves to squeeze light so after it folds around to me I decide to just flat the $20 with AKhh. My buddy squeezes when it gets to him to $65. He has about $1200 and I cover. It folds back to me and I slowly re-raise to $180. He goes in the tank for a while and eventually raises to $385. At this point he’s betting like he has AA but I block AA/KK and I have to strongly weigh that he could easily think I have a middle pair here based on my preflop action. With that in play, I can still heavily weigh his range towards 99-QQ and even AQs or AJs so I’m ready to play for stacks even if I don’t want to. I decide to make the 5b small to rep AA and I make it $810. He tank-folds and I find out a few minutes later it was all for play as he had A5s. Well played on both our parts I guess. Fun hand.

Ended up +1000 in that session so I got back a chunk of my losses from earlier in the day.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Today’s the Main Event at Binions after I eat breakfast. Need to spend my $300 freeplay at Wynn, too. My buddy came in at like 6am after winning about $800. He hasn’t had a losing session yet this week. He’s up about $6600.

3. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    9D5A5B98-9026-4FCB-8C85-0F759912680E.jpeg

The walk from the Wynn to:

32AB8A7D-F032-4C57-88F4-FCDD93127A1E.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Corned beef hash and eggs and a blueberry muffin:

2D66AAB8-A582-4F41-BFC6-AE576EE4284F.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  5. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Peppermill for the breakfast of champion.
    The Peppermill fire pit to sooth late nite bad beats.
    The Peppermill ~ just to pig out.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Playing the Binions main event. Gonna possibly be a really long day as they don’t bag for day 2 for 15 hours including a 60 minute dinner break in the middle.

Up from 50k ss to about 74k. Blinds 200/400

7. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was up to almost 90k @ 300/500 and lost a pot with AA. Down to about 76k

8. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lost a flopped 2p to a flopped straight and dropped to 55k. Moved back up to 64k and I’m at 62k now at 300/600. This tourney is so well structured that even a starting stack size will play pretty deep into the night.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    REALLY enjoying your report...I am mostly a tourney player & looking at my options when we are there at the end of the month.
    Your cash game stories make me think I should play more cash...but I love how tournament play changes as the tournament goes on. Cash games can be a bit of a grind to me...
    Looking forward to seeing how Binions went for you Weds!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. acccrow

acccrow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well put.

I feel the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So sorry! Never had a chance to make any updates. I got no traction going at Binions. No interesting hands to speak of really. I went and played cash after until nearly 5am. Got AA cracked in a crazy hand ($1600 pot) where a guy 3b me and then called off 80% of his stack preflop (my raise size was a weird part of his stack because we had two other players who flatted his 3b and I didn’t want to bet larger and scare them both out of the pot) with 43s and hit a gutter on the turn all-in on the flop. Ended up losing like $1000 that session.

Staying up so late was a terrible idea because I go to bed before 11pm on the east coast and staying awake until 8am east coast time less than two days before going home is never a smart thing to do. I intentionally set an alarm for a 3 hour sleep to try to readjust. I zombied through Thursday grinding cash games and booked a $1000 profit on the day. Again, no interesting hands. I stacked a guy with a set of 8s at one point but it was a standard play where he flopped TPTK with AJ and turned an A to give him 2p. Easy money.

Flew back home on Friday with a much smaller overall win on the week than I’d hoped (basically break even with expenses). Still had a good time though. Had a lot of runbad this week overall so I still considered it a win. Definitely going to do this again next summer.

Sorry for the terrible end to the trip report. I was just so off on my sleep schedule and whatnot that I literally sleep-walked through Wednesday and Thursday.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's tough to stay live. Really great job with the hand descriptions!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Stillsober

Stillsober Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the trip report, I could read poker reports and hand histories all the time.

15. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing; I don't see many poker TRs.
    Yeah, I don't think I could pull off a live report...PRETTY busy when in Vegas!
    Playing tourneys usually allows me to play a lot...and come home with a chunk of my bankroll, tho rarely much of a profit. Perhaps I need to add more cash game time to my schedule...you may have inspired me!

16. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another bonus fun hand I had:

There's a regular at the Wynn who has a pretty severe handicap. He's got a pretty extreme case of dwarfism with malformed limbs and digits as well. I'm sure his appearance in his motorized wheelchair is a shock to some folks, but he's got his entire wits about him and he seems to be a really nice guy. How is this relevant to the hand? It isn't really, except for the humor he provided, since he assisted me in jabbing my opponent.

I raised 22 in UTG+1 to $20 and get 1 caller in the HJ, a young 20s kid who clearly knows what he's doing. Flop is 873hh. I cbet $25 into $47 and the kid calls. Turn is the 2c and I check and the kid quickly checks behind. I feel pretty confidently at this point that he floated the flop with two overcards, likely a hand like AQ/AJ/AT, and is happy getting to a cheap showdown since I likely don't have anything at this point. The river pairs the 8 and no flush lands. This is a great card for AQ/AJ/AT and I decide it's time to make a value bet with my pair of 2s. No, not a bluff. A value bet. I feel pretty strong in my read that this kid has exactly what I think he has and that a small bet here is going to make me some more money. I bet $15 into $97. The kid thinks for 5 seconds and calls. I show my 22 and he mucks. I point my finger at him, and in a friendly manner, say "I own your soul," and our handicapped friend chimes out of nowhere, "So in that case, can you tell us if he's going to heaven?" Even the kid found that one pretty funny. It was a nice moment of my final day.

• Like Like x 3
  17. acccrow

acccrow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The colors even match Dave's profile picture. Nothing if not consistent.

dwarf.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.