1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Housing prices

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by OK Pabst, May 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a 1200 sq. ft house - our property taxes are $12,000 and some change this year. Expected to go up the usual 1.0% again. I can't believe that we pay $1000 a foot! In Pahrump we were quoted max with the HOA around $2200-2500! Literally puts thousands of $$ back into our discretionary income.

2. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a Blondish moment. I completely spaced on UNR. Although, smaller, it could be a possibility.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But if you are right-side on your house you'll go off to Pahrump with a massive nest egg. Blame the overheated consumer market, not the tax structure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Another Illinois resident chiming in - we're out in cornfield country in a small community of 4,000. Tax bills just came out and it was $4939 for a 2400 sq ft home.
    Our place in Salt Lake City, though smaller, is valued as nearly twice as much, but taxes are $1,900.

5. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2,100 sq. ft. @ $1.8K/property taxes and HOA dues $150/year (hopefully up to $250/year). An odd thing 'bout the peninsula is The Florida Homestead Exemption reduces the taxable value of real property by up to $25,000 ($50,000 for a married couple). It is an ad valorem tax exemption provided by Florida statute for qualified residents who own and reside on the property as their primary residence. Snowbirds don't get this exemption, and you don't get it on additional properties that you own (e.g. rental properties, etc.). Basically, a house that is appraised at $200K, would be taxed as though it was worth $150K. This really ratchets down the amount you have to pony up annually, and statistically you save +/- $1K on taxes you would otherwise have to fork over.

And what do we do with those funds we don't pay in taxes? Well, boys and girls, we head down to the Hard Rock and make a generous donation to The Tribe. Seminole Nation thanks you.

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2600 s.f. here in "tax-mad" CA, OK-sized lot, kajillion-dollar view. Value is north of $600,000, property taxes are $3700.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tominiowa

tominiowa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lot lower than I would have thought ken2v, esp from California

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes and no. If we sell today, whomever bought the house would have an annual tax bill greater than $6,000. Or put the exact same house in S.F., with the same attributes, sell it, and that tax bill is well into five digits. It is based on value at the time of sale -- or significant reconstruction -- with the base rate constitutionally capped at 1.02%, with a 2% max escalator annually.

9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I started to jot down some thoughts and then found this, to which I whole-heartedly agree:

The University of Nevada, Reno is a better institution than its counterpart, The University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and this is why:

1. UNR is a university that is acknowledged by multiple academic ranking systems to be top tier, and UNLV is not. In all of these rankings, UNR is far and away better scored than UNLV.

2. UNR has special facilities and programs that cater to specific areas of study, much more than UNLV-in short, more opportunities for students. To their credit, UNLV does have a much better gym, but as far as facilities go, that's it.

3. To add on to reason no. 2, because the State government is located in the north, much more of the state officials have ties that are linked to UNR vs. UNLV. For a long time, most of the money that went into the Nevada System of Higher Education was aimed at UNR. This is the reason for such a productive budget at UNR whereas there is a lacking at UNLV. Recently efforts have been made to balance this more.

4. Location Location Location -UNR is an excellent location for college students looking for academic opportunities, city fun, and outdoor adventure. UNLV has the strip nearby for the city fun, and that's about it. Also, Reno is much more of a college town than Las Vegas, and this is quite apparent to anyone who has spent time in both locations. The city of Reno puts much more support into their college students.

5. Since both schools are apart of the Nevada System of Higher Education, students going to either school have access to degree programs offered by either school. This means that if a UNR student wishes to pursue a dentistry, gaming management, or law degree, they would have to work at UNLV. For anything else, they're probably staying at UNR.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Indeed. UNR did NOT give the world Tark the Shark, for instance. (OK, RCC had some hand in that.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I have changed our minds and instead of buying a secondary home in Las Vegas, we are going to make the move permanent on Memorial Day 2019. We are going to move my business to Nevada and buy one of the new build homes from American West which is southwest of the strip.

https://www.newhomesource.com/plandetail/9860-belle-marie-court-las-vegas-nv-89141/1176664

Overall, I am looking forward to leaving California which has moved closer and closer to chaos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck with the move!!

I'm not yet feeling estranged from my native state. Maybe if we still lived in So Cal we'd have a different mindset. But we tend to like the geography and aesthetics that by chance come with Blue States in the West, so if we do vacate at some point ... at least WA doesn't have state income tax. WA also doesn't have Bend. :(

• Like Like x 1
  13. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We live in Pasadena, CA. The neighborhood price range here is 1 million+ for absolute dumpster. I know it could get worse like the bay area so I would rather cut bait while i'm still relatively young. I'm eyeing that no business tax in Nevada and UNLV law school.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We looked at Reno, as I've noted elsewhere. Still not off the list down the line. It does fit the geographic line ... just east of the Sierra/Cascades.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck with the move. Those houses look nice but at our age three stories isn't possible.

TomTWI

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That kills me out west here. Nothing but freakin' land, and they turn so much into effectively PRDs with handshake setbacks.

I like the guest suite on the top level.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.