1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Booked a trip to Vegas this summer...

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by TRN, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Must be nice to be out there for a month :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a nice break, but the other 11 months are super boring :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. NPLV

NPLV VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm coming in June 5-10 and am a new enthusiast of poker tournaments. I am probably the poster boy for a "soft" player but I do want to try a more serious tournament or two while I am there.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well my work schedule this spring/summer ended up being a lot more flexible than I had anticipated, so this went from 1 trip in May to 3 trips over 3 months... "this escalated quickly..."
    • April 22-25 - solo trip, will play some cash games, maybe a daily tourney at Wynn or V, and just relax a bit.
    • May 20-25 - going with a coworker for a conference, also playing in a few Venetian Deep Stack tournaments since their series kicks off so early this summer
    • June 10-15 - solo, planning on the WSOP Marathon event, also looking at PH Goliath, Venetian deepstack bounty tournaments, and I'd love to get a Wynn tournament depending on what they post in their schedule next week

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like we have a few folks out there around the 10th-15th. Maybe a poker meet-up is in order?

This is assuming I end up making the trip, which is looking pretty good for me at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool keep me posted Dave!

7. VivaSladeVegas

VivaSladeVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you not going during that 10-15th time period of June anymore, TRN? It looks like your dates changed.

I'm pretty much established on my dates at this point. About 90% chance. Was curious to see who me and buddy would see while we're out there!

Edit: Just realized it must be because you can only do 2 signatures for trips and the one in June is your 3rd? I must have misread a few weeks ago; thought you were taking 2 trips, didn't realize it was 3. Lucky you!

9. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your epiphany is accurate - can only do 2 countdown timers - but will still be out there June 10-15... my plan is WSOP Marathon + WSOP $3k 6-handed NLHE both that week, and a few filler single-day tourneys (Wynn, Aria, Venetian) if there are spare days between/after.

You headed out? What are your plans (hotel, tourneys, etc.)?

10. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a buddy who's a highly profitable 2/5NL player who's also done really well in some $360-$570 tourneys lately (and even a $1500 main event) who's never been to Vegas yet. We're leaving early morning Sat June 9th from Ft. Lauderdale and arriving around lunch time. I think I'll just show him around that first day, and we'll maybe drop into the first 2/5NL game at whatever room gets him most excited. Sunday the 10th he's going to play the Milly Maker. I haven't decided if I will, yet. If I don't, I'll probably play in the mixed tourney at PHo or the HORSE tourney at the Aria, and then I'll fire $600 bullets the next few days in NLH at the Venetian $600/$1m and the PHo $600/$500k.

Other than that, it'll be mostly $1/3-2/5 cash games and maybe a Rio daily deepstack or three if I run bad the first few days.

Staying at Luxor on a comp the first 3 days, since I got a $100 F&B credit, and at the Wynn on a comp the 3 days after.

What about you?

11. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @MiamiDave sounds good, I had a free 'suite' offer from Luxor I booked, cancelled, and now can't get back, or I'd probably be there also :)

For that week in June, I arrive the 10th, but not in time to get into Milly Maker (although considering getting a flight in earlier and possibly attempting to get in early enough to make 7500 chips not be 8 BB's by the time I arrive). If I don't get into Milly or I get knocked out early (7500 chips can disappear quickly) I will start on the Marathon event the next day Mon 6/11, and if I get knocked out of that will get into the $3k NLHE 6-handed event a few days later if not in Marathon when it starts. I have Venetian and PHo tourneys you are considering on my list too, and there's always cash games running... just depends on timing of when I win or get knocked out of which of the WSOP tourneys. One thing I've found about being there for WSOP vs. any other time of the year, is that even the cash game players are 10x more challenging opponents, even at the 1/3 and 2/5 levels.

For hotel,I have comped rooms at both Aria and Rio that week, both booked, not sure which I will actually use yet. Aria seems like the no-brainer better room, but staying at Rio may just make life easier for WSOP, so it may be a week-prior decision unless I get some other crazy idea before then.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MiamiDave

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dropping $2500 or $3000 into a buy-in just isn't in the cards for me at the moment. I wish you good luck in whichever event you decide to play in!

I'm undecided on playing the 9th, when we arrive: There's a $200/$250k GTD tourney at the Golden Nugget that usually brings about a $400k prize pool but their structures are just so bad that it's hard to head downtown my first day there. It's going to be such a long day for me already, since I'm waking up at 5:45am EST.

I'm not likely to play anything over $600 buy-in this trip unless I have a strong cash between now and then. I'm on a bit of a cooler in tournaments. Luckily I've done really well in cash so that I'm not losing overall, but it's still frustrating. I've had a good 2 years but I haven't been profitable in poker for the last 6 months or so because whatever I've made in cash I've given back in tournaments. I only shipped 1, which was a smaller tourney with about 60 players, otherwise I've got two cashes and a bunch of day 2 and day 1 bustouts. Frustrating, but it'll turn around. Math always does.

Rio is good for the WSOP but it kinda stinks for everything else unless you're OK with ubering everywhere. It's just so convenient to have so many rooms close to the Aria (Aria, PHo, Bellagio) and you could even drop by MGM/Bally's for dives if you want a drunk tourist game.

• Like Like x 2
  13. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Regardless we'll have to trade #'s in private messages on here and meet up for a brew or cocktail somewhere... we're bound to both get knocked out cash in tournaments on the same day at some point that week. Looking at possibly changing my arriving flight to 6/9 instead of 6/10, so I could try the Milly again. 7500 chips tho, that's some tight tourney play out of the gate - I like deeper splashy cashgame-like play in the early levels.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Slidey1

Slidey1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m fairly sure I’ll be in town at least the first couple weeks of June for wsop, PH and prob some other tourneys. would be cool to get a drink at least and compare schedules with you all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah let's do this

16. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your June trip moved forward a week, TRN?

That's a shame, as I'm guessing you'll be leaving around the day I arrive now.

17. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Marky147 My trips are:

Apr 29 - May 3
    May 20 - 25
    June 10 - 15

I am considering ditching the April 29 - May 3 and doing one more extra trip later in June or early July for more WSOP action.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  18. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought our trips were overlapping, with your last one staying at Cosmo.

If you end up skipping April, we can do some drinking in June :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah sorry, decided I'd rather be there a week earlier and play Marathon at WSOP...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully it's a profitable trip, and you're back out for another spin at the end of the series :)

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.