1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rooms to ask for at the California?

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by smerrian, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Learn something new every time I read this forum. Thanks.

2. 1BETSY1

1BETSY1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are the East tower rooms now remodeled and open now?

3. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes

4. nhanna45

nhanna45 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can anyone post pictures of the new east tower rooms?

5. kodidog

kodidog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking for photos of both East and West Tower rooms...staying there next month, and arriving late at night...so may not have a choice, but would like to see what to expect if I DON'T get the West Tower room I plan to request.

6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Las trip is schmoozed the clerk (apparently not many Hawaiians schmooze) and told her (truthfully) I had stayed in east tower and the Fremont street noise was awful and I was old and all that kids on the lawn talk in a nice way. She asked the bell guy to suggest a room. I asked for 30+ on any floor. Got 1745 which made me the second one down the fire stairs as it was near the end of the hall. Verrrrrrry quiet. 2 queens (but they were very respectful) and the separate bath and vanity. I liked it enough to post some blurry pictures in my trip report around February 26++++ but I recall it clearly. Good luck coming in late (take a chance, call and tell them about the late arrival and you could ask them to set aside a room of choice for you......tell them who you are and if need be you are a member of VMB)(they could be so confused they will fear you). Good luck.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. JR Swift

JR Swift VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone know the difference between the Deluxe and Premium rooms at the Cal? The amenities listed and the photographs are exactly the same on the website but the Premium is running $25 more per night. Is it worth paying the difference?

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These are pictures from our West Tower room that they call a "mini-suite".
    1st room  interior.jpg 1st room 2.jpg 1st room view.jpg 1st room.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMO, absolutely not. According to the website, the Deluxe room is 284 sq/ft and the Premium room is 364 sq/ft. They both have a refrigerator, abnormally large TVs (not a complaint) and have all been remodeled to look almost identical. I do wish they would have put in blackout curtains instead of those shutters, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. kodidog

kodidog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Joe. I found something while searching further....(Hope I am allowed to put this link to it on here. ) From the Contractor who did both towers, and this is the link to the West Tower rooms, and you should be able to get to the East Tower rooms on the link as well. It appears that the main difference is in the bathroom configuration. All together in the West, and separated (like Gold Coast and Orleans bathrooms?) in the East Tower. I suppose because of room size.

http://logic-lv.com/case-studies/california-hotel-west-tower-rooms-remodel/

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. kodidog

kodidog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, and meant to say....the rooms look great to me. I might try the sad, old lady speech, similar to bubbakitty's, when I check in. :evillaugh:

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only difference I see is that the suites have room darkening curtains, no shutters.

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed in the East tower before the remodel. One of the things I noticed was that the room size was smaller than the west tower rooms. This isn't to say that all east tower rooms are smaller, just that some rooms are smaller in the east tower. In the west tower, most of the rooms are all similar in size (except for the premium rooms). In the East tower, in front of the elevators, the 2 rooms are big (may be premium rooms).

14. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you @kodidog for the link to the contractor's pictures. I noticed that they claimed to have replaced the fan coils on the east, but not the west tower. Can anyone attest to how cool the rooms can get in one tower vs the other after the remodel?

The window units at MSS are just barely adequate and I'm wondering if the new coils at the Cal will cool down the rooms any better.

• Like Like x 1
  15. glock77

glock77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So which section is quieter, East or West? Should I ask for higher floor too? thanks for the info. I never stayed at the Cal before.

16. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed in the west tower and it was plenty quiet and the a/c worked great.

17. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed in the West Tower on my recent visit and loved it. Room was quiet, comfortable and I have no complaints. I love that the sink area has a lot of space. Great for all the junk that we bring.

18. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed in 1646 and 1745 recently. 46 heard the traffic (mostly loud mufflers or emergency vehicles) and a little train. 45 heard a little Fremont but. Nothing else. But I am old. Either seem quite acceptable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.